• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Recommended Books

cjimj

Country flag
I've got a Bentley reprint of the TR4/4A manual that includes the Competition Preparation Manual, the Spare Parts Catalogue, and a copy of How to Restore Triumph TR4 & TR4A by Roger Williams.

Are there any other titles anyone would recommend to complement these?

Thanks,

Jim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I've got a bookshelf of Triumph literature -- but whether you need more or not depends on your needs & reading habits.

If you are interested in keeping or achieving a concours correct state of originality -- or if (like me) when there are various ways to do something you usually choose to do it 'as original' -- then one of Bill Piggott's books covering the TR4 will be useful.

The TRA publishes a Judging manual for TR3s that is quite detailed, I do not know if they have something similar for TR4s (never looked). If they do it is probably available online.

I still reach for the Haynes manual first -- maybe out of habit (it was the manual I first rebuilt the car with 34 years ago) or maybe because it is basic, to the point and familiar.

If you can find a copy of Bob Schaller's 'More BS about TRs' you may find it useful - it's about TR3s but lots of engine & suspension stuff in there that may help you.

The Lucas Fault manual has nicely organized electrical component diagnostics.

If you have an overdrive -- there is a Laycock D'Normanville manual online that you might want to print a copy of.

Brooklands reprints, Graham Robson's book, Chris Harvey's book, and anything by John MacCartney are all on the shelf and get reread time and again.

Mike Cook's Triumph Cars in America is a great book by someone who was there through it all.

There's more but if I am forgetting something important someone will help me out.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Owner's manual is good, too.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I will second the Haynes, I grew up using them too, and will reach for it first when I need a repair book. I also like the Lucas fault manual, gives easy to follow step by step instructions for ignition and electrical problems, has helped me out a couple times when I have been stumped. I also like Glenn's Triumph book, it is a little hardback book that doesn't go into a lot of detail for things like a tranny or engine rebuild, but good diagnostic steps for the home mechanics, and written assuming you own a used car that may be wearing out. You can usually find a Glenn's on Ebay pretty cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GLENNS-TRI...anuals_Literature&hash=item35d91a8694&vxp=mtr an example

OP
C

cjimj

Country flag
Thanks everyone! I'm placing an order with Moss and all they have is the Lucas manual, so that's what I'll get for now. After reading Geo Hahn's reply the fog cleared enough that I remembered I had a couple of other books laying around, which turned out to be four, two by Robson, one by Piggott, and one by Krause. I'd better go start reading before this brief moment of lucidity passes...

Thanks again,

Jim

HerronScott

Darth Vader
When I restored my TR4A, the Bentley is what got the most use and is now in pieces with the grease spots on it. :smile:

I did have a Haynes and an Autobook as well for second opinions but I found the factory manual to be the best. Of course, now you also have additional sources of information like this forum which I didn't have back then!

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
When I restored my TR4A, the Bentley is what got the most use and is now in pieces with the grease spots on it. :smile:

I did have a Haynes and an Autobook as well for second opinions but I found the factory manual to be the best. Of course, now you also have additional sources of information like this forum which I didn't have back then!

Scott
:iagree:

I actually "grew up" using nothing at all, didn't have any documentation whatsoever. No way to rebuild an engine, but I did. Then I got a Haynes and thought it was wonderful ... until I found an original factory manual. Now that (and the other factory documentation) is all I look at. The Haynes only comes out if I don't understand something.

That's for a TR3 of course, but the TR4 Haynes is the same book. Watch out for misprints and confusing/wrong information about change points. In all cases, don't assume the book is right when it doesn't match the car. Sometimes the cars are wrong, of course, but sometimes the book is wrong too.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
I agree with TR3driver, save your money and get the original factory manuals. They are so much better than Haynes, which I was never a fan of.

In addition to the owners manual, the "Triumph 20 TR 4 Spare Parts Catalogue, and the original Triumph TR4/4a Workshop manual identified above, which I believe the Bentley's is a near duplicate of the original workshop manual, I would also recommend the following.

If you are planning on a restoration join the Triumph Register of America and get a copy of their "TR4 / 4A Judging Guidelines". It has details on what a TR4 should look like, but I have found approximately 11 errors in this document that need corrected.

Visit my new and improved personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wix.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

OP
C

cjimj

Country flag
Great suggestion to get the VTR judging guidelines. I'm not looking to build concours winner, but I am trying to keep everything either original or restorable to original.

Thanks