• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Axle Removal.... Wow

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Tonight I was getting things ready to pull the rear end out of my 65. I got the cables, and brake hose disconnected, and then I figured I would loosen the bolts so I could find the one or two that refused to move, and would require heat, profanity and hammers to get out.

To my shock, every nut and bolt came loose using just hand tools.

I guess I must have done something right in my life.... :smile:

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
1965_MGB said:
...To my shock, every nut and bolt came loose using just hand tools.

I guess I must have done something right in my life.... :smile:

Or did the DPO do something wrong? Does it look un-molested? It's always nice when somethings that are supposes to be hard, go really well.

OP
1965_MGB

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Well, I believe that my car has lead a tough life, even before I had it. It looks to have been resprayed several times, but under the car, it all looks original, but who knows for sure.

So far, the only trouble I have had is removing the front spring bushings, but I expected them to be trouble. I figure while the axle is out, I am going to replace all the bushings, and spring pads.

I also have to change out the shock links, and I am thinking that there must be a better solution for the links. I was looking online at some sway bar links that look very similar to the stock shock links.

I am also thinking of changing over to "normal" shocks, and putting the old Armstrongs on the shelf. I also may have to change the springs, but I will have to see how the finances hold out.

I really want to finish the underside of the car before I tackle the axle.

1965_MGB said:
Well,
I am also thinking of changing over to "normal" shocks, and putting the old Armstrongs on the shelf.

Really no need to do that...the Armstron lever arm shocks do a very good job on the MGB...especially for cars driven on the street.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay, orginal stuff only lasted 30 or 40 years, whats that tell ya about how good they are.

OP
1965_MGB

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
You guys are probably right. No need to change things in the old girls life.

Perhaps you guys can give me some tips on removing the front spring bushing. I have gotten out all the rubber bits, but now I am left with the shell fused to the spring itself.

I have made a cut in the shell where it does not touch the spring, but it still seems stuck fast. I have shot it with PB Blaster, and I am waiting for it to work. If there is a better way of doing the other side, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1965_MGB said:
You guys are probably right. No need to change things in the old girls life.

Perhaps you guys can give me some tips on removing the front spring bushing. I have gotten out all the rubber bits, but now I am left with the shell fused to the spring itself.

I have made a cut in the shell where it does not touch the spring, but it still seems stuck fast. I have shot it with PB Blaster, and I am waiting for it to work. If there is a better way of doing the other side, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried applying some heat? MAPP gas for example.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
For the front spring bushings i get a old screw driver and hammer it in where the main leaf splits at the bushing. This releases the tension on the bushing. Then i set 2 2x4's on the floor and place the spring on it so the bushing can be driver out between the 2 boards.Find a suitable drift and whack away. Installation is done with the same old screwdriver to open up the area and tap it in. Bob

OP
1965_MGB

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I got one of the bushings out tonight. The one that I drilled out the rubber and beat the sleeve out of the spring. I just needed my larger hammer. :smile:

I got the idea Bob suggests from the web, and tonight I have a screwdriver wedged into the area described. I set upon it with my can of PB Blaster, so in the morning I will give it a go.

Setting the spring over some wood will be difficult, as they are still attached to the axle. I was planning on just replacing the bushings while I was cleaning and painting the underside of the car, so I have not taken it totally apart as yet.

I do notice that some of the pads between the leaves is deteriorated, so I may need to get some new springs before too long.

I guess it's just another of the "might as well" things. We'll have to see how things hammer out.

Thanks for the advice all.