• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prim Rose Yellow

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Thought that is what color I wanted to paint the Bugeye. Sorry if I offend anyone but "Yipes"

I painted the bottom side of car and body from the doors back with base coat so car would have some paint for protection against moisture. I will color sand most off before the real paint.

But noway, It has alot of green tint to it. Anyone have there Bugeye orginal Primrose green they could post a phot of. I am wondering if they mixed it wrong at the PPG store. It is almost the same color a Zinc Chromate primer now

I had my Bugeye in Primrose yellow. The color code was nothing like what the color was supposed to be. I ended up matching a picture to a paint chip.
72 Ford LTD pale yellow (not what they called the color) Probably something like buttercup but it was yellow, not green.
I went to a show and parked next to a Primrose yellow Bugeye where the owners ran up and said that MINE was the correct color and theirs was too green.
They used the paint code, I matched a picture to a fleet chip.
I ran into this when I recently wanted my 67 Sprite British Racing Green, I had the inside of the door with me to match the paint, the 1967 code was superseded so many times, it was now a Rover color and not even close.
Again I went through the chip chart in the sunlight and found a match but i did have the door with me.
Look at the 72/73 Ford sedan color charts. I no longer have that paint nor that Sprite.

The Midgetspriteclub has a page under car specs that lists all the Sprite/midge colors and their paint spec. #. It shows pale primrose yellow as BMC # YL.12 and Dizler/PPG as 81499.
Good luck,
Scott in CA

Is this what you are looking for?

Attachments

• 23631.jpg
    23631.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 488
smaceng said:

Yes, wanting an orginal Bugeye color if possible. only have photos to go by. Is that a AHBE color?

I am going with chrome wire wheels and red line tires so the yellow needs to be very soft, buttery

Also "IF" I can find the correct blues I am going to to cover the seat bolsters in stone washed denim with small blue/yellow plad in seat inserts and white piping. The inside of doors will be same plad with denim on door pockets. (If I can get these colors right I may even go with Blue line tires)

Second choice is a tone of Red for interior. I know I am working with some tough colors but I can see them in my head. and of course third choice the standard black, not fond of saddles.

Dash will be a nice wood inlay. Remember this is a car I am fixing up for my wife so I want it "snazzzy"

Another possibility for the PPG paint code may be 83517. I have that listed for my primrose MKIV (still in primer) in addition to the above quoted 81499 for the original YL-12.

To my knowledge, both Primrose and pale primrose yellow were used.
My bugeye was originally Primrose yellow and I had paint mixed to match
the underside of the rear license plinth. It's a much more saturated and
butter color than the pale primrose yellow.

Glen_B said:
To my knowledge, both Primrose and pale primrose yellow were used.
My bugeye was originally Primrose yellow and I had paint mixed to match
the underside of the rear license plinth. It's a much more saturated and
butter color than the pale primrose yellow.

I am going to try and repaint bottom of the car in the next two weeks if weather will give me a break, I may paint a small piece of something and send to you in the mail to see how close it is to orginal if that is alright with you.

I have a chip from a recent M/C leak. It's a 2" curl soft from brake fluid, but easily mailed if you like. Send me your address and I'll send a bit of toxic waste. What a deal huh?

mightymidget said:
smaceng said:

Second choice is a tone of Red for interior. I know I am working with some tough colors but I can see them in my head. and of course third choice the standard black, not fond of saddles.

Hi There mightymidget,

I`ve seen quite a few MGTC/D, MGA, TR3 & Bugs in a really soft Primrose Yellow with "Dk. Burgundy Int. piped in White" as well as "Dk. Green piped in White". Striking Looking!!

My TR3 is a "Pale Beige" Ext. with a "Dk. Burgundy piped in White" Interior & Man, It looks "Great"!

You may want to contact "2Tall Custom Interiors" & see what he has to offer. "Great Guy" & does "Exc" work on "Custom Interiors" at reasonable costs.

Have Fun,

Russ

I recently repainted the side of a primrose yellow 69 MGB. The car has mostly original paint and Sherwin Williams base clear was a very good match. I do not know if the MG and sprite colors are the same but it did match very well! bob

I had a couple pale primrose cars with original paint back in the day, it is a pale yellow, not bright like you see on many cars these days, not orangeish or butterscotch yellow, not greenish, at the time I hated it, I wanted a red or green car (and in fact the one car got repainted red and the other green after a while), now with all the red and green cars running around, I have come to like the color. Can't help with a paint code, but that is my description of what it looked like.

Glen_B said:
I have a chip from a recent M/C leak. It's a 2" curl soft from brake fluid, but easily mailed if you like. Send me your address and I'll send a bit of toxic waste. What a deal huh?

Thanks Glen, receive paint peel today
WOW not even close to the paint I have