• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Possibly buying a sprite & need advice!

rld0829

Hello!,
I live in Connecticut, and this is my story :
About a mile from my house sits a lovely 1966 MK III sprite and I contacted the owner way back in Decemeber '06.

I stopped by and checked it out one day, it's in fair condition, with some electrical problems that need to be sorted out, and a few rust spots, chiefly the driver's side floor panel that would need to be replaced.
He told me he wanted $1200 for it, and I declined.
So today, he sent me an email asking if I was still interested in the car. Now I get a hint of desperation(middle aged guy that still lives with his parents) and I'm smelling blood, he's asking for an offer.

My question: How difficult would removing and installing the floor panel be, and how much would a new one cost?
Also, is somewhere around $1000 a good amount?
Maybe I could run down there and snap some pictures of the car if it'd help.

Thanks!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Replacing floors is easy - but its probably not more than $500 - $750 if it doesn't run. Though after looking at photos, I might change my mind...those '66's seem hard to find (I've been looking for a '66 Midget for a while now).

zimasprite

Jedi Hopeful
Some pictures would definately be nice, but I realize its hard to tell the guy...hey, I'd like to take some pictures to post online and see what this thing is worth. A lot depends on how much rust, what is the condition of the engine, suspension, brakes, dash/gauges, radiator, fuel tank. Bodywork and paint is expensive and time consuming. Electrical is time consuming and sometimes frustrating, but generally not expensive IF you have the parts/switches etc. Just takes tracing lots of wires and testing things out. Best of luck. I bought a 68 about 4-5 months ago from some guy for a few hundred bucks. Needed a lot of work. A lot of fun to work on and more fun to drive.

- Drew

OP
R

rld0829

Re: Possibly buying a sprite & need advice!

Forgive the quality, I was in a rush, snuck in when nobody was home =)

It's in fine condition atleast I think, the dashboard is in nice shape except for the bits of wiring that are coming out

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting car.

Check for rust carfully, door pillars (alignment of pass door makes me wonder). Front of rockers rear spring mounts and all over.

The top, wheels and spoiler are interesting.

Patrick

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No one has mentioned a price?

OP
R

rld0829

jlaird said:
No one has mentioned a price?

Well, I haven't seen it run, the gas tank isn't on but he has a new one waiting to be installed, among other things, a few boxes of parts. All new wiring kits, hubcaps, stuff like that. I want to offer him around $850 or so, but I'm not sure, which is why I posted this thread

dklawson

Yoda
I guess that like any collectible car, it's worth what you're willing to pay for it. Since you know it will need electrical and some body work, your ability to do these repairs yourself should be weighed against the cost of having them done. This is a personal decision for you. As for me, were I in the situation where I wanted another project, a running Sprite requiring only some electrical work and a new floor would be just great... especially if I could get one for the $850 you're considering offering. The worst the seller can do is turn you down.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Other than the front end treatment, she looks like she's woth the $850...with a new gas tank & other parts, you probably won't go wrong

But, if you want to put the front back to original, its gonna cost a few bucks.

Take cash!

OP
R

rld0829

I believe he has the bumper for the front, and the hood closes fine it was just unlatched for some reason.
Thanks for the pointers, I'm going to go ahead and make an offer

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I was talking about redoing where he'sd smoothed over all the seams to install that spoiler....but if you can fit the bumper without any mods, the changes will never matter.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WOT!!, you ain't bought the car yet I been to New Jersey and back and you just made you mind up??---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
I agree with GB1, the fact that the door closes too far has me thinking that there's enough rot in there to deteriorate the backing to the hinges. I'd carefully look that over. If there's any rot there let it pass and find a better example.

Wheels, front end? Somebody did some work at one point.

Ben

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
When you make the offer, take cash. I suspect you will end up getting it for around $1000 without much haggle. Start with, "Would you take $800?" He will try to split the difference and you could tack on another 50-100 $$. Remember money talks.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
saabmp3 said:
I agree with GB1, the fact that the door closes too far has me thinking that there's enough rot in there to deteriorate the backing to the hinges.

Ben

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Ben

And keep the 200 bucks in another pocket /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
R

rld0829

He took $850 =)
Now I just have to get it home somehow.....and it's only a mile away!
And the worst part is, I can't wait to get my hands on it but I'll be out of town for a week come tomorrow

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
CONGRATS!!!

Friend, pickup truck, length of chain inside a pipe!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Seems like you found a keeper.