• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Considering Buying an XK8

Timbarn

Freshman Member
I've had an 88 Mercedes SL560 convertible for the past 8 years. I've enjoyed the car very much and it's given me no problems. But I've grown tired of dealing with the manual top.

I have been thinking about off-loading the SL and purchasing a 2000-2005 XK8. (I used to have an 04 XJ8 which I also liked...)

I am looking for advice on what to look for and consider; are they particular years to stay away from; and - importantly - can I get my golf bag in the trunk of an XK8.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No problem packing the clubs in the boot AFAIK but lookout for leaks in the hydraulic convertible top latching system. Of course make sure the cam chain tensioners have been replaced with the metal ones.

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
Look at the thermostat housing. If it is glass reinforced resin, it needs to be replaced with the cast aluminum replacement offered by XKs or Welsh Enterprises. I had one fail. I cannot stress replacing this part enough!

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
One ther thing;

Bring a code reader and see what kind of codes pop up. There is an OBDII list of Jaguar codes available on Jag Lovers.org.

Take a look at the condition of the grease shields on the lower front ball joints. The ball joints are press in, or you have to replace the wishbone. It is not uncommon to find the boots broken letting dirt and moisture into the lower ball joints, which hastens the need for replacement due to wear and play that developes.

Michael J.

Jedi Warrior
One other thing;

Bring a code reader and see what kind of codes pop up. There is an OBDII list of Jaguar codes available on Jag Lovers.org.

Take a look at the condition of the grease shields on the lower front ball joints. The ball joints are press in, or you have to replace the wishbone. It is not uncommon to find the boots broken letting dirt and moisture into the lower ball joints, which hastens the need for replacement due to wear and play that developes.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bump- also been in the back of my mind too. There is a beautiful black one in my Corporate Apt parking lot here.
The best years was never answered and what monies are we talking I should expect

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
DNK, I have the 2000, but luck the timing chains and assorted parts were changed along with a transmission rebuild. All my research leads one too believe a 2003 and later have a lot of the problems solved. With all the electric sensors and conveniences there will be times things just go bad or get a bad connection.
Lots of help here and other places.
For a 2003 with 80,000 miles, you are looking at 12 to 15 thousand, maybe 10 to 11 if needing work. Find out the fix before making the plunge, be in the know, not our easy Triumphs.
I must admit, at 72 it was a bit scarey for me and most of it still is, BUT WHAT A RIDE.

Wayne

sonny

Freshman Member
I have a 97 XK8 with all updates, tensioners, mirror, windows, suspension bushings done.....an excellent ride and registered classic show winner! When all has been completed as noted, they cannot be beat. I also have the exhaust changed to better hear that Lincoln rumble!

I have been looking at a Maserati ....might be for sale??? Would not consider less than $10,000 in this condition.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Now that used XK8's are reasonably affordable, the thought has crossed my mind a time or two too.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Basil, I don't think you will ever regret getting one. Just find the best one you can and then get it checked out. If I can be of any help give me a PM and I will call you. I'm not an expert by any means, but did a lot of research before making the plunge.

Wayne

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Last edited:

benebob

Freshman Member
I've had an 88 Mercedes SL560 convertible for the past 8 years. I've enjoyed the car very much and it's given me no problems. But I've grown tired of dealing with the manual top.

I have been thinking about off-loading the SL and purchasing a 2000-2005 XK8. (I used to have an 04 XJ8 which I also liked...)

I am looking for advice on what to look for and consider; are they particular years to stay away from; and - importantly - can I get my golf bag in the trunk of an XK8.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You won't need to golf anymore as you'll actually enjoy driving again :smile:

As for my recommendations as an owner of a 03 XJR. I would pay the extra money for the xkr as it will have a Mercedes tranny rather than the weaker bmw sourced unit on the 8. Much cheaper to rebuild (ie $2k vs 6-7k) should the need arise plus so long as you change the fluid you should never have an issue with it. From around 02 on the plastic tensioners were replaced with metal. If it is earlier ask if they were replaced if not plan on about a grand to have them done the easy way 2 the hard. Not doing it can result in catastophic engine failure when (not if) the tensioner breaks. The XJR has a non plastic thermostat housing so I'd assume the XKR does as well. Best part with the r is you get a few more ponies.