• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Buying Parts from Moss UK and Sending to US

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I will be in the US next month and need several parts for my TR3 that are not available at Moss US but are carried by Moss UK. What duties or taxes are collected at the border on such shipments? Appreciate advice/experiences from anyone in the US who has bought from Moss UK. Many thanks, Mike

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I've not purchases from Moss UK, but I have from Rimmer Brothers. There was no additional duties or taxes collected. Additionally, if they list the non-VAT price, that is what you should be charged.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think it is hit and miss. I've bought from Rimmers, MossUK, and Revington - doesn't matter who the vendor is, there have been times when the shipping co sent me an extra bill for duty. I don't recall it being excessive enough to change the purchase. However, a friend of mine recently bought a gearbox rebuild kit from Rimmers - it was stuck in customs because it included bearings and apparently was something they pay attention to. The bill was big enough that the whole thing was cancelled.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Going to call TRF to ask about availability of early TR3 Lockheed brake parts and lines. Cheers, Mike

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm not sure if it's true or not but I heard that if the box and paperwork is marked (vintage auto parts) there will not be any duty. I got a quote from Skinner that included a VAT.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just purchased a set of seat covers from Rimmer Brothers. $308 US dollars. Duty was $15 and the bill came a week later.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you are going to buy in the UK and then hand-carry to the US, be sure to ask about the form to get a refund of VAT. I think Moss should handle the form for you, but if not, you will want to do it. They have to charge VAT if they sell in-country, but you can get a refund by filing the form after you export the item.

I've never hand-carried, so can't help there. Having things shipped seems very hit and miss; basically the Customs officer can decide whether to pass it through or put a hold on it. If they put a hold on it, then the shipper will hire a customs agent (broker) to investigate and supply Customs whatever they need to release the shipment. You get to pay the agent's fee, in addition to whatever fee Customs decides is appropriate. Probably 90% of the stuff I've bought from the UK has sailed through without a hitch; but there was a smallish box where I wound up paying $80 on top of the outrageous shipping fee. $20 import duty and $60 broker fee.

FWIW, I have also had them confiscate my luggage when they felt the paperwork was not in order. (It wasn't) But that was electronic equipment, not vintage car parts; and my company had a broker on retainer so it all got sorted out without my being involved further.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I mentioned earlier my duty fee was $15 but a closer examination $7 of that was a broker fee. Much cheaper than the Randall's $60. I've heard horrible stories of outrageous brokerage fees but did not know how or why they can charge for that. Of course there are all kinds of stories out there. I guess I should just pay the fee and let it be done. Wife thinks I should try to get out of it.

OP
mgedit

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks. A few parts are on order for delivery, so I guess I will find out soon. Cheers, Mike