• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

what to look out for when buying an MG

PAMG1974

Freshman Member
guys,

I am looking into buying a early 70's MGB. What are the things to look for when spying a car? I worry abot the rust issue. what are the worst places that MG's rust? what do I look out for? anything bad about certain year's or engine transmissions? I heard the overdrive is a thing to have because of highway and high revs on the motor. Can you actually pick up a decent car for 1,000? or should I go or one that is around 5K or something?

THanks
perspective MG buyer
Chris

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Chris, I am sure that the knowledgable B guys can steer you straight.

Patrick

Steve_S

Yoda
The better car you buy, the more you will save in restoration cost. The most economical thing to do is to buy a fully ground-up restored car. Reason being, it costs far more to restore an MGB than it will be worth once completed. That said, a solid runner with no rust is usually the best "deal" if you plan to simply maintain, and not restore the car.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Don't rush into it and know exactly what to look for. Prone spots are doglegs & rockers. OD is a plus. Unless you get very lucky, it might be touch to find $1000 car. Keep looking, keep asking us questions, keep us posted & welcome to the BCF.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
WHOO!! Talk about alot of questions in 1 post....there's a whole book written to answer them: "The Original MGB"

Thanks, Jack, I was gonna toot my own horn & have him read my little writeup...but, suffice it to say: Run away from rust! Everything else is a cakewalk....that said, are there rustfree cars in Penn? Probably not for $1000!

zahnej

Welcome to the forum Chris,

I think Steve-S is giving you good advice. I am in the middle of restoring a TD and can't throw money at it fast enough. I know I could not get it back if I sold it.

If you want to restore, get a donor car with as many original parts as possible for as little money as possible. Everyone underestimates the cost to restore - including me!!

Don't know much about a "B" but an average TD will cost between $10 to $20 thousand to restore, depending on the level of restoration, and that's doing almost all the work yourself.

gcan

As stated above watch for rust, look at the vehicle in person.
I have purchased 2 "rust free" cars off e-bay and am in the process of trying to rebuild both.

Seeing is everything

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Another thing I have done is take a digital camera along to the veiwing> Take about 200 pictures, sticking your hand in all the nooks and crannies & just point & shoot. Go home, download them to your PC and study them. It's amazing what pops up on screen that you would not ordinarily see when you are caught up in the moment.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
And when an ebay seller says to come by anytime for a test drive, that means you really should. It's really more like a dare than an invitation. Otherwise, you'll sing the coulda shoulda song.
PS TR6 owners are always chasin' B's, they're trying to get a better look at the classic front end!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the Forum that will answer your questions without too much friendly ribbing...I'm from near Harrisburg and there are several of us PAers here is this Forum. IMHO, there are very few "decent" B's to be bought for $1000...you can get one that doesn't run or is rusted beyond hope for that around here, but if you want a better car, you will spend at least twice that for a road worthy chrome bumber B and $3000 to $5000 for a nice one.

Good luck and keep in touch here.

Bruce

OP
P

PAMG1974

Freshman Member
WOW, thanks for the response and "experience". I never had this much of a welcome to a forum before. Thanks a bunch.

This year at the british car day at the pittsburgh vintage grand prix, I saw some good representatives of great restored cars. I am willing to spend a few dollars to get a great car. I do not want a bag of bolts and have to strip it down to the frame and rebuild it!!!

I am going to study and look around for a good clean car.

Thanks for the help
Chris
greensburg, PA