• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Buying a TD

Sandman_Slim

Freshman Member
I'm buying a 52 TD that is nearly restored but not assembled. Chassis and engine rebuilt and painted. Lots of new stuff in boxes too. But it still needs things like a top and side curtains, a better radiator shell, and a very expensive paint job. It is $10,000 dollars. Am I making a big mistake here? It is the perfect project for me. I miss having a british car. Opinions welcomed, please.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome Flynn, By what you say sounds good, cept, hard to say with out seeing it.
Hold it up in front of the computer so everyone can see.
grin.gif

SFTSAC

OP
S

Sandman_Slim

Freshman Member
Thanks DNK. Sorry to admit it but don't know how to get fotos on this thing. Not much for computing. Do know something about working on a car though. Just concerned about the 10G. Sounds like a lot of money.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I don't see it as a good deal at all. The market is soft on these , has been for years. Never pay for an engine rebuild on a project car without hearing it run .

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's a TD, not a Spitfire, nothing personal Spitfire owners.
It'll cost a little more.
My buddy bought an XK150 that way. Though all the body had been completed and painted and the frame had even been PC'd. All he had to do was assemble. Paid 15K back in 02 for it
I never get deals like that.

It helps to post pics here to open a photo account like Photobucket. Download them to that and Bob's your uncle you copy and paste

Steve_S

Yoda
The market may be soft, but it will still cost more than 10k to restore a TD rolling chassis. Assuming it has been done correctly, a person would be money ahead buying one completed, plus the rest of the car ready to assemble. When complete and done right, it will be a 20k car even in this market.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Sure it will. It all depends on the quality of what was done . Easy to take apart, harder to put together right, that's why a lot of them are in pieces. Actually the chassis is the cheapest part of it to do. Depending on the real condition of the body tub and sheet metal could be a deal breaker.

Steve_S

Yoda
I don't agree that the chassis is the cheapest. I figure it's about half of the overall cost of restoration, all things in equal condition, to get it to a running chassis (which I assume this is). An engine rebuild is as much as an average paint job. The rest of the running gear isn't that cheap to buy parts for either, at least compared to something as inexpensive to restore as an MGB. The only potentially deadly project, cost-wise, is the wood body structure. If it's rotten then you're in for an extra couple buckets of cash.

If I wanted a show car then I'd consider this a good deal (as I picture it in my head from the description above). If I wanted a driver then I would look elsewhere, because you can get a nice solid driver TD for $14K.

OP
S

Sandman_Slim

Freshman Member
Thanks to all you guys. I want to build a beautiful car, so I should be ok. Trouble is, I will probably drive the heck out of it. But at least I'll have my TD. I just hope it is this summer.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Flying_Flynn said:
...Trouble is, I will probably drive the heck out of it. But at least I'll have my TD. I just hope it is this summer.

That's what they are for

billhenry

Freshman Member
Hi Flying Flynn,
I don't mean to discourage but don't be surprised if you don't have something north of the mid 20's when complete. I just finished mine and was surprised what's in it. But, I don't regret it a bit!!! Have fun and enjoy, they are great little cars. The very first thing you want to do is register on the MG Enthusiasts site: https://www.british-cars.co.uk as there are plenty of folks on there with a vast knowledge of MG TD's and will answer all of your questions.

Good luck and cheers!

Bill

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And remember, if you do buy it then we want pictures!

OP
S

Sandman_Slim

Freshman Member
Well I have done it. I am back in the British car universe. A TD is now in my barn. Not without insident though. The guy I hired to transport car used straps from Home Depot or something and when they broke, I almost lost both rear fenders.Very lucky. Only knocked the exaust from rear mount. Whew! I don't even know whether he was insured or not. Lesson learned. First thing I did was dive into the ill fitting drivers door. Wow, there is no adjustments or anything. I am thinking that this door came from another car. Hey guys, I have a wooden car!!!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOOHOO! Congratulations, and welcome back to the fold. Good to hear that the car made it, if not without a bit of extra adventure thrown in.

Of course, we need pictures...
grin.gif