• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 - what to look for when buying?

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi all,
I usually spend my days over in the Spridget section..been restoring a '64 off and on for the last few years.

I'm going to look at a '74 TR-6. What are the areas to look for when hunting "uh-oh's"? Seems like rear suspension is one..from my brief glance in the forums..

What else? (Body, mechanical, electrical)

Not sure if this will fly with the 'Boss', as the Sprite is not done, but the TR-6 looks to be a driver!..maybe time to sell the F-150 if I can stand Houston without A/C!! It's so close to me, I can't resist going to look.

Appreciate any input you all have. If I get shut-down on purchasing it, I'll report on its condition if anyone else is interested in it.

Thanks

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Look for RUST RUST RUST. That should be the first thing you look for in any old car. Lift up the carpet in the interior and check the floor boards. Check the floor boards from under the car. check the sills, In the wheel wells towards the door check the like triangle looking piece and see if it is still together. poke it. not to hard or it might cave in. check and see if the doors open, close and fit correctly. see if all body panels fit properly. also check the top and top boot. if possible drive the car. make sure the mechanics work. blinker, headlights, brake lights. being a car person you probably know some of the universal things to look for. Look and see if some pieces might be missing and if so ask if they have them. if not you can probably bicker with the price a little bit. look to see if the car is undercoated or atleast has something on the bare metal b/c if not it might rust if you look at it wrong. i would check to see if the hydralics work properly brakes and clutch. see if the tranny shifts smoothly. thats all i can think of for now.

If your really serious take someone in the area club to go look at it with you that has more experience with a 6 then you do.

I love my 6. its a great road car. also you need to get your sprite done with the 1275 and 5 speed b/c my dad has one and it was a blast with the 1275 over the 948. Now it is supercharged and just that much more fun.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Eric

D

DougF

Look at frame rails where the trailing arms bolt in for rust. Rear "H" deck in front of deck lid. All four fenders in the area of the lamps are also prone.
Negative camber in rear wheels means new springs.
When you sit in the seat, if your butt hits the floor, it needs new diaphragms.
Overdrives are always nice. Don't trust that the presence of a steering column switch means one will be in place. If there is an "LO" at the end of the serial number, it had one from the factory. The serial number should begin with CF...

Inheritr6

Another problem area on the TR6’s is under and around the battery. Have the owner take the battery out and check under it for rust.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Good info so far, also the dreaded end crank end float, look at the lower pulley while someone pushes the clutch, if it moves back and forth perceptibly you probably have thrust washer issues with the motor.

OP
64rocksprite

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Good stuff all. Having cut out and replaced rockers, pans and spring pockets on the Sprite, I will keep an eye out for rust.

The other suggestions from all are exactly what I was looking for: The known "oh craps" on a certain model. All of them have them..and now I know what to look for in the 6!!

Eric - don't take it wrong..Sprite is going NOWHERE!! :smile: If something goes, it'll be the gas-guzzling pick-up I own! TR-6 for an F-150? sounds like a good trade to me!

I've always like the 6..never have driven one, but the sound is unreal.. Wanted one since I was 12 or so..

I'll take some pics and let you guys know how it looks.

Thanks for all the feedback..geez, lots of help on here no matter what the brand!

OP
64rocksprite

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
tdskip,
Wow, perfect..you posted as I was writing my reply..another great resource..thanks!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Devin - more more bit of warning. The power of the TR6 is fairly addictive.

(I'm lucky enough to have a Bugeye, which is a total hoot but the TR6 is a whole different class of car)

OP
64rocksprite

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
td,
I am honestly a bit worried..that I'll become fully engaged with the 6 and start working on it and not finish the Sprite.
It will take lots of self discipline to not start making improvements until the Sprite is done!

Good problem to have tho..'hmmm which LBC to work on / drive today?'

As long as they're both running...that is! :smile:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
64rocksprite said:
td,
I am honestly a bit worried..that I'll become fully engaged with the 6 and start working on it and not finish the Sprite.

Ummm, well.... That is exactly what happened to me. Bugeye is in deep storage (aka out in the desert).

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Buy a driver and drive it. Do not take the fenders off or go poking around a lot, or you will have a new project.

Oh, a Texas car. So long as it is not from the coastal salt air area you'll probably be....

Oops Houston, never mind.

If you are not into body work and cosmetics, and the engine runs fine, the only big expense will be the transmission and differential. The rest is relatively inexpensive old British car stuff. A hundred here and a hundred there, she will never notice it.

Keep the truck...

Why? Ask Dale...

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Tomster said:
Who got it as I see that the bid is over or was that a previous info pack

I had it on my watch list and that is why I could still see the listing. Dangerous thing to do. Haven't been in a mall for a couple of years but I love looking at cars.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Devin,

One area that has`nt been mentioned here is in the rear section. Where the fenders meet the body. There is a seam there and thats prone to big time rust problems.

"BRING A MAGNET WITH YOU"!!!

Good Luck,

Russ

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
What you should look for depends on what you are spending. In other words, if its like 1500 bucks, it will have problems, or, someone would have beat you to it. Now, if its over 10 grand, it will still have problems, but hopefully not as many. I think there are quite a few cars out there that you can fully restore, frame off, and get most, if not all of your money back, the TR6 is not one of them. I wouldn't expect a Texas car to have much rust, maybe, just the floorboards. Most of the replys to this thread have been from people up North, most of those cars are ate up with rust. However, the TR6 didn't rust to bad, true Southern cars usually have little rust. If under the hood is black with rust proofing, its a Northern car.