• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Seriously considering solid stainless cylinders

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I've been going back and forth on what to do about my breaks on my E. The calipers are all in need of resleeving and two of them I have been unable to get separated (get the piston out). The more I think about it, the more attractive the Hyedracyl stainless cylinder/pistons seem. The only problem is, they are more than a little pricy. On th eother hand, they are guarunteed for life and they certainly would be less prone to corrosion. The other advantage is, they would have brand new retraction pin mechanisms which would not have any crud in them.

Not sure yet. Still thinking.

Basil

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well, the brakes are one area where you should not cut any corners.......so pricey or not, I would suggest that you might as well go for it. Look at it this way.....you need not worry about them again.

Larry Kronemeyer

Jedi Trainee
You've got started keep it right, don't want any regrets later, might be pricey but will still need occasional bleed, and if you get it done and would ever sell it, you would feel better and so would the buyer.
Larry

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Larry Kronemeyer:
<snip> and would ever sell it,<snip>
Larry
<hr></blockquote>

I'd sell my kids first!
crazy.gif
(Just kidding)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>I'd sell my kids first! (Just kidding)

<hr></blockquote>
So, Basil, you got a son who's old enough to cut grass & rake leaves? I've a little apartment over the Garage Mahal & a riding mower!

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Personally. I think the most important safety/performance components on the car deserve a little extra attention, especially when you consider how prone they are to rusting out.

PC.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,
I have used the often recommended air line to remove pistons when I have carried out an overhaul and found, as I'm sure many of you have, that there is not enough pressure to move a really stubborn piston. My solution was to make an adaptor and fit a grease nipple, then using my standard grease gun to force the piston out.

I also favour using silicone brake fluid and will be interested to see what condition the wheel cylinders are like on my Mk 2 Jaguar when I strip them down. The car has been standing for about 10 years, waiting for me to get started on it. I am doing the body first so it may be some time before I get to the brakes.

Alec
cheers.gif

billca

Basil,

I also had trouble getting pistons out of the cylinders on the front calipers of my E-Type. I squirted Liquid Wrench into the cylinders through the holes for the fluid and let them soak. Every few days I tried to blow out the pistons. Eventually, they did come out. One of the retractor pins was not moving freely, but it also loosened after repeated applications of Liquid Wrench plus some wiggling.

This doesn't address whether you should get new cylinder/piston assemblies, but you'll be in a better position to decide if you can disassemble them.

My plan is to reuse the original parts and replace the fluid on a regular basis. My main mistake has been to ignor the brake systems until they fail rather than treating them as a regular maintenance item and replacing the fluid every few years.

Bill C.

John S Farrington

Jedi Warrior
Basil, I recommend that you convert your brake calipers in toto!! from series 1 to series 2 configuration. The series 2 is far superior to the original caliper configuration and would be a great improvement. I think for the consts that you are considering, the converson would be cheaper. Just my opinionso if you have gone beyond this point, then hang in there. Best regards, Jack

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John S Farrington:
Basil, I recommend that you convert your brake calipers in toto!! from series 1 to series 2 configuration. The series 2 is far superior to the original caliper configuration and would be a great improvement. I think for the consts that you are considering, the converson would be cheaper. Just my opinionso if you have gone beyond this point, then hang in there. Best regards, Jack<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I just paid to have the caliper housings nickle plated so I'm going to stick with those, but when I buy the stainless steel cylinders/pistons I am going to buy th eoversized versions they sell (15% more surface area).

Basil