• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Noisy diff in BJ7

Hobbydave

Freshman Member
I'm just starting to drive this BJ7 after sitting for many years. There is a long list of new parts including almost all the rubber in the suspension, new lever shock, new front diff seal. There is a clicking sound coming from the rear end, pretty sure from the diff. The noise is speed related similar to a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. It stops under hard acceleration, hard braking or seemingly anytime the rear loads or unloads. I tightened the front nut on the pinion thinking it was loose but the noise is the same. There is some play at the wheel but nothing more than normal gear lash IMO. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it?

Thanks, David

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm just starting to drive this BJ7 after sitting for many years. There is a long list of new parts including almost all the rubber in the suspension, new lever shock, new front diff seal. There is a clicking sound coming from the rear end, pretty sure from the diff. The noise is speed related similar to a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. It stops under hard acceleration, hard braking or seemingly anytime the rear loads or unloads. I tightened the front nut on the pinion thinking it was loose but the noise is the same. There is some play at the wheel but nothing more than normal gear lash IMO. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it?

Thanks, David
My guess is it's a U-Joint. I has a similar sound once.

OP
H

Hobbydave

Freshman Member
Thanks for the advise. I was fortunate that it was a simple issue...the e brake cable was loose in the trains tunnel and rubbing on the drive shaft. I found it inspecting the ujoint for wear but they were good.