• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Noisy Side Screens

Fanch00

Freshman Member
Country flag
The side screens on my BT7 are shaking and rattling. Am new to Healeys. Any fix?
I thought of replacing the felt in the rail, would that solve the problem?
And if yes, how do you get the Perspex out of the frame?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Replacing the felt might help some, but most of the noise is the panels of Perspex rattling against each other. There really isnā€™t much you can do about that.
I partially solved the problem by installing a side exit exhaust. It masks the noise.
To remove the Perspex on yours, I think you will have to disassemble one of the lower frame corners.

OP
Fanch00

Fanch00

Freshman Member
Country flag
Replacing the felt might help some, but most of the noise is the panels of Perspex rattling against each other. There really isnā€™t much you can do about that.
I partially solved the problem by installing a side exit exhaust. It masks the noise.
To remove the Perspex on yours, I think you will have to disassemble one of the lower frame corners.
I recently removed the side exhaust actually and went back to the standard pipes. My dad - whoā€™s the one enjoying the car really - couldnā€™t take the noise, ha ha !
I guess I wonā€™t try to remove the Perspex and change the felt for now if it doesnā€™t make a difference. Itā€™s indeed the two panels of Perspex rattling against each other more than anything else. I thought a new felt may prevent/reduce that.
These cars are meant to be driven topless but we have a rather humid weather here in Brittany - four seasons in one day, they say. Itā€™s not called Brittany for nothing, although our neighbours in Great Britain donā€˜t seem to bother (did you see that video where ā€œNumber 27ā€ is driving his Frogeye - named ā€œFredā€ - in a storm of rain?). That was yesterday - middle of the summer... - 18 degrees max, between two patches of rain... itā€™s not the California sun.
8220EAF3-C40A-454A-9203-5258DC5C579A.jpeg

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Fanch, you can remove the perspex without separating the aluminum frame. Simply side the out side pane to the middle of the frame opening and flex it horizontally enough to remove the top from the grove. Then do the same withe the inside pane. It looks scary but it works fine. New felts help some but as mentioned, the panes rattle against each other. Itā€™s one of the joys of owning a roadster.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Putting a piece of aluminum channel over the vertical edges of the panels will keep them from flexing and rattling.

OP
Fanch00

Fanch00

Freshman Member
Country flag
Putting a piece of aluminum channel over the vertical edges of the panels will keep them from flexing and rattling.
Thank you Michael. We put little pieces on foam-like material and it helps. Would you have a picture to illustrate what you suggest?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Fanch--

I will try to take one today and post.
What I used on the sliding windows of my 100 is AL channel that simply stiffens the plastic and also, to my eye, finishes them and makes them appear better.

Swisshealey

Freshman Member
Country flag
The side screens on my BT7 are shaking and rattling. Am new to Healeys. Any fix?
I thought of replacing the felt in the rail, would that solve the problem?
And if yes, how do you get the Perspex out of the frame?
I have the rattling problem only on the highway. I then put just a Kleenex-tissue between the two Perspex.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I am attaching a pic showing the AL channels I glued to the vertical edges of the side curtains which stiffen them and keep them from rattling. The curtains are not stock and came from NICAL Engineering in the UK along with the hardtop, but the concept can be used on any side curtain.

BTW I had the side curtain brackets made by a machinist and I tapped the stock door sockets so I can screw the curtains to the door, providing a rigid mount and preventing the curtains from flopping around whether the door is open or closed. The seal both to the door, the hardtop and at the windshield stantion is pretty water tight (for a Healey) when the doors are closed and the curtains do not pop out at speed.

Attachments

• sidecurtain1.jpeg
    sidecurtain1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 79

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Back in day, we used to stick matchbook covers between the plex to quite them down.

OP
Fanch00

Fanch00

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am attaching a pic showing the AL channels I glued to the vertical edges of the side curtains which stiffen them and keep them from rattling. The curtains are not stock and came from NICAL Engineering in the UK along with the hardtop, but the concept can be used on any side curtain.

BTW I had the side curtain brackets made by a machinist and I tapped the stock door sockets so I can screw the curtains to the door, providing a rigid mount and preventing the curtains from flopping around whether the door is open or closed. The seal both to the door, the hardtop and at the windshield stantion is pretty water tight (for a Healey) when the doors are closed and the curtains do not pop out at speed.
Thanks a lot Michael. Interesting solution. It looks pretty good !