• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New day and a new plan

G

Weather has been INCREDIBLE here the last week or so. I haven't been driving the car much as I've had alot going on and can't do what I need to w/ the Midget. Yesterday I had some running around to do but I couldn't use the car because of my dog. We had three dogs, four total, but are now down to one, my dog Oscar (the others were her's or "ours" but he is mine from before we met).

He's been alittle down since we had to put the last dog to sleep, even though all that dog did was sleep 95% of the time and the other %5 he was crapping in my house. I can honsetly say I don't miss him too much, but Oscar does.

Since the wacking of dog 3, Oscar goes NUTS whenever I grab my wallet and cell phone. He knows I'm going for a ride and loves to come. He doesn't like the Midget too much as he's a Bassett and a rather long Bassett at that. He can't fit in the seat properly and has a hard time riding in the car, especially around turns.

Poor guy! I really feel bad about leaving him home by himself. Kelly will be gone all day too. he likes the ride, but not the postition.

I wish there were someway I could fit him in comfortably. He's a really really good dog.

Any ideas?

Morris

Yoda
A plywood deck on the parcel shelf?

Remove the passenger seat and replace with a dog bed?

Country flag
Morris said:
A plywood deck on the parcel shelf?

Remove the passenger seat and replace with a dog bed?

This is what I'd do! :laugh:

Make some sort of quick release mechanism for the passenger seat so I could take it in and out easily.

A man's wife is his wife but his dog is his DOG! :laugh:

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Sunbeam alpines come with a dog seat. They also come with rust. It's a trade-off.

tao724

Jedi Trainee
I would position the passengers seat as far back as it can go, fill up the passengers side foot well with high density foam from the fabric store at equal hight as the seat bottom, then put a mat across the seat and the foam for the Bassets 'floor'. Then keep the window rolled up however many inches it takes to avoid 'inadvertant ejection'. Basset stretch out, nose in the wind, safe from falling out, and out for a ride.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree: But, I'm not a dog guy.....however, you could make a little shelf (padded of course) that sits on the seat (secured by ther seatbelt) & extends out forward long enough for his body with a support down to the floor.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
doghouse on the rear boot rack?

velcro on the top?

skateboard and a leash?

OK I'll shut up now

:wall: :devilgrin:

My son was telling me the other day he saw a man in a wheelchair being pulled by 2 huskies in proper harness. Could be a homegrown rescue plan.

OK now I'll really shut up

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Down here in South Carolina we would put a small deck plated tool box behind the seats (custom made of course) then attach a CB Antenna with a tennis ball on the end. then we would set the dog on top of the tool box and let him ride there on a short chain so if he falls off during a turn his butt will bounce on the payment while he is being choked by the chain until a terrified woman can pull up beside you to tell you your dog is bouncing on the payment. Then they can flip the woman off and tell her the dog is OK

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
poor little guy. probably kept up with you for the first mile or two............tough little mutt. (full quote)

Officer to Clarke after stopping him for the dragging leash: Do you know what the fine is in this state for cruelty to animals? Clarke, humbly: No, sir, I don't. Officer, matter-of-factly: You can bet it's pretty stiff. (full quote)

Has your father ever killed anyone? Oh, just a dog. Oh, and my Aunt Edna. Hey, you can't prove that. (full quote)

:whistle:

OP
G

mightymidget said:
Down here in South Carolina we would put a small deck plated tool box behind the seats (custom made of course) then attach a CB Antenna with a tennis ball on the end. then we would set the dog on top of the tool box and let him ride there on a short chain so if he falls off during a turn his butt will bounce on the payment while he is being choked by the chain until a terrified woman can pull up beside you to tell you your dog is bouncing on the payment. Then they can flip the woman off and tell her the dog is OK

here too! :lol:

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I "had to" :devilgrin: buy the GT so there was room for the dog.

It seemed a shame not to be able to drive an MG on trips to the beach just 'cause there was not room for all 65lbs of Morris. My wife was impressed that i was being so considerate of the dog. :angel:

Morris

Yoda
I *WISH* I weighed 65lbs. I have been meaning to tell you, it's gettin' kinda cramped in the back of that GT. Time to buy a Magnette. My preference would be a ZB Varitone, but you do what you gotta do.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or just not own animals - I play with my bodyman's German Shepherd and Australian sheep 'something or another' dogs when I'm at his shop.....kinda like grandkids - you give them back to their owner after you're finished playing with them! hehehe

OP
G

tony barnhill said:
Or just not own animals - I play with my bodyman's German Shepherd and Australian sheep 'something or another' dogs when I'm at his shop.....kinda like grandkids - you give them back to their owner after you're finished playing with them! hehehe

No can do. Wife's a big animal person, plus we can't have kids. The dogs do nicely as the state frowns on you locking your kids outside for the night when the wake you up repeatedly for no reason. You also can't leave you kids in little cages when you go out of town (at the kennel of course). With children I might be tempted.

Same thing with the kids form church. I love to play with them, but when Mr. Billy has had enough, it's time to go. They all love Maggie (the car). I put the little girls behind the seat (no top installed) and ride them through a neighborhood where they can wave at people like the prom queen. They really like it.