• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A-arm Plan B

Morris

Yoda
Does anyone know where I can get the threaded fittings that the outer fulcrum pin threads into?

Someone mentioned replacing them in another thread ages ago.

Does PeterC sell them?

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
I had a problem finding the new threads. I also had a problem finding someone that could line them up and weld the new ones in. (Weld?) I also tried to find someone fabricate the whole deal. I ended up buying a new set from VB. Expensive, but they are nice. I'd be interested in finding out if the inserts are available as well.

Country flag
If buying a new one, I'd buy the BMH version. It is a little more expensive, but probably worth the money (about $200).

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
YES! Found an extremely amazing deal! PeterC, whom we all think highly of, reccomended a fellow who rebuilds A-arms. $75.00 (excluding core charge). Fellow's name is Eric Jones. Extraordinaryily nice guy. PM me if you would like is phone number. I will report on the rebuilt units once I have them.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now that is a deal. Did not know the service was available. Guess I needed to talk to Peter more.

Country flag
Eric Jones... from Ohio. I know of him and have talked to him several times. Seemed like an honest guy.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Thanks Kim. I could and would do it myself, but I really like the idea of it being done by a pro. I know, I know, that does not sound like the Morris you know. But I have so many other things going on, I don't want to take time out to do the a-arms right. Also, I am going to get guaranteed and painted units.

BUT... I still would really like to hear how you did it. If you want to post how you did it here, I will make sure it gets put it in the knowledge base. I think it is invaluable info for the community.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I don't have any pictures but all you need is an oxy/acetelyn torch turned down to a lazy flame and heat up and remove the old bushings. Then put the new bushings in and use a new pin threaded into both to get and hold the threads in the correct position and then reheat and braze the new ones in place. I spent maybe 20 min on each one. I did media blast them both before starting.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Billm said:
So those are just brazed in?? That is great, I can do that!
Bill
Yep just brazed in. If you sandblast it you can see the solder. Let me know if I can help. Taking the old ones out is a breeze putting the new ones in right, is more of a pain. The threads have to be aligned just right so the pin will screw back in.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
My old spridget friend told me after I had fought this problem that the solution was to line bore and replace with a hardened bolt. Sometimes simple solutions are the best.

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I bought a rebuilt from Eric, real nice A-Arm. He includes a grease fitting on the closed end,only makes sense. Eric lives out by me really knows the cars, it is my understanding that he is semi retiring.