• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 Sometimes the plan doesn't come together.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi all, the GT6 project has hit a little snag. The frame from the GT6 with all components from the GT6 donor are all but ready for the body. No where have I read about the Spitfire frame and the GT6 frame being so different in the rear. The '74 Spit has the extra frame member to give support for the tail end. Looks like it was added on with a slip fit and welded in place. We need to cut it off and give ourselves some extra, transfer the body and use the bolt holes that are there for the bumper to line it up, then weld it up. Not the worst thing, but just painful. The owner likes the big rubber front bumpers and the brackets are different on the '72 GT6, they need to be cut off and rounded a bit.
The gauges on the Spit are chrome and he likes that, minor change from black on the GT6 ones, but he also has a oil gauge that is chrome, nice feature. We will order the body panels for the rust areas tomorrow, but we are going to place it on the frame and let him enjoy the rest of the summer and fall and do the body work over the winter, that way we can also tweak all the little problem areas along the way.
The TR7 rims look good but we did have to grind the caliber a little. Sorry about the pictures not getting ready, he is having a hard time getting them off the phone. I'll get the wife to have a look see.
I know it sounds like a lot of work, but we are having a good time and his basement is air conditioned in this hot heat I could not think about doing it in my new garage, haven't had time to insulate and put in a climate control.

Come help when you can, Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Hi all, the GT6 project has hit a little snag. The frame from the GT6 with all components from the GT6 donor are all but ready for the body. No where have I read about the Spitfire frame and the GT6 frame being so different in the rear. The '74 Spit has the extra frame member to give support for the tail end. Looks like it was added on with a slip fit and welded in place. We need to cut it off....
From what I've been able to determine over the years, the only real useful purpose of those 1974 and later "Federal" Spitfire frame extensions were to support the "impact" bumpers required. The tub was otherwise always able to support itself quite well at the rear without them. ;)

OP
trrdster2000

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Andy for your support and thoughts. I was thinking along the same direction and a good friend told me to cut it off and he will cut all the welds. He said he had a very thin disk that was designed for just that purpose. We will see, as I am more inclined to use a angle iron and drill a couple of holes and do a little welding.
Other wise all is good. I would have like a better body, but this one will do.
I still want to do the Herald with this frame and engine if I can get it away from my buddy. I'll give him the whole thing if he will fix it himself, lets just get the little Herald on the road.
Thanks again, Wayne

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I still want to do the Herald with this frame and engine if I can get it away from my buddy. I'll give him the whole thing if he will fix it himself, lets just get the little Herald on the road.
Wayne, SOMEONE needs to just get the little Herald on the road. Period. THEN figure out if it "needs" to be greatly modified/updated. ;)