• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Mounting location for electric fuel pump on TR6

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Isn't there a hole there already.
Can't remember.
If not I drilled a new one when the carter was planed for my build.

Anyone want to buy a Carter?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don- The outlet is on the left side of the tank; the outlet sits over a hole in the trunk and there is a short metal tube coming out of the bottom of the tank which connects to the tubing running along the side of the frame.
How then do you bring the exit point of the tank back into the trunk to connect to the pump? Anybody?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Been looking for my old pics
I'll see if I have any

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
thanks

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No luck
I think I lost a USB drive on the trip over with those pics
IF there is no hole
The PI models got there somehow.
drill 2 more

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm not concerned with mounting the pump or even running the outlet from the pump to the carbs.... my major concern is making the connection from the tank to the inlet of the pump since the connection to the tank is only accessible from under the car.
What I'm trying to say is that if I mount the pump in the trunk, I would have to run a fuel line from under the car where the tank fitting is back to the pump which would be in the trunk.
I will have another look to see if I missed something.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I did not run a new line from the tank to the electric pump. It is using the original fuel line. I mount my pump to the LH side of the spare tire tub. Cut fuel line and used hoses from line from tank to electric pump. Hose from electric pump the fuel line to engine driven pump.

Don

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks don for the explanation Don... one question: Was this on your TR3A or a TR6?

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The line from the tank on the TR6 is accessible from underneath the trunk, there is no connection to "cut" inside the trunk to make the hookup to the pump.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The RED ARROW is pointing to the tank outlet which goes through a hole in the trunk and is only accessible from below the trunk.

tr6tank.jpg

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
On the TR3 the line from the tanks is the same. You can only get to it form under the car. I found place that was clear of anything and as close to the tank.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don- Maybe I interpreted your mounting instructions for the pump incorrectly... are you saying you mounted the pump on the LH side of the spare tire well on the bottom of the car? That would make sense only I would have to remove the exhaust pipes to get to that area.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Yes it is mounted on the out side of the tire well but on the side of the tire well. I wanted the pump as close as i could get it to the tank and it would clear anything that moved up and down or round and around.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, now that makes sense. I just hate the thought of removing the mufflers to get to the mounting location.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
OK....I've got a whole new section on my site about upgrading to a custom aluminum tank.......but there's also some pictures on the stock holes in the floor of the tank area.

Ignore hole # 3....... I drilled that one but all the others are in every TR6 tanks floor area and, I think, in every TR4 too. So mount the pump next to the tank and run the lines up and down through those holes.

EDIT.......... I found some pictures on a back up DVD that showed how I did the Facet pump. It was actually mounted behind the trunk panel but attached to the side of the spare tire well. What I don't remember is if that hole in the spare tire well was there or if I drilled it. So the fuel line came out of the tank bottom (stock location) and up through hole #2 to the top of the Facet pump. Then out the bottom of the pump, through the spare tire well floor where it reconnected to the steel fuel line to the front of the car. You can also see how I mounted it with rubber and wood to minimize the clicking sound

AT20.jpg .Facet1.jpg

Last edited:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
See Elliot. Told you there were plenty of extra holes there

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just returned from Richmond, so sorry for the late reply. Yes, I always knew there were plenty of holes with plugs back in that area; it was the routing of the "fuel in" and "fuel out" that I had questions about.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doesn't really matter what holes you use
Use 1 for in and another for out