• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Seal To Body Mounting Bracket Welded?

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm restoring a 69 TR6 and the previous owner did a botched up job on replacing the rockers. The part of the floor boards that is folded down and forms the inner cover for the rocker was rusted away. Looks like he just slipped a piece of sheet metal behind it then stick welded and brazed it everywhere. I've cut all that out and now have bent a piece of metal with a 90* flange and that will replace that botched piece and seal the back side of the rocker. I had to remove the body mount brackets on the under side of the floors to do this work. Now my question is are the brackets suppose to be attached to the back side of the rocker or seal plate? There are signs on the back side of the brackets that look like it could have been attached at one time. There was a large gap between the brackets and the seal plate before I started and now having problems 20231010_205408.jpg trying to get those to match up. The PO may not have paid attention to aligning everything properly.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Take great care here or you may lose your door alignment. Be aware that mig welds HATE brass and cut away
these ruined bits.
Mad dog

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
This might help. The brackets are welded at the inner rocker panel, and I think that's all.

This is a TR4A picture, but I believe the TR6 is the same.

floor_6894.jpg

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Sarasto that's what I needed. Yes TR4 thru TR6 are the same floor boards. I think early TR4 had a hole for the e-brake but the overall shape is the same. It took me a while to get back to you that wanted pics. I looked at our future forecast and it's not pretty here in NE Ohio. Lots of 40s and 50s so I went on a 3 day sandblasting spree. My goal is to get the body on the frame with the engine compartment painted before winter. Primed the underbody with PPGs CRE yesterday. I'll clean up some pits and holes I welded up in the trunk floor this weekend then after this rocker situation is cleaned up then I'll shoot it with some color.

Here are some pics of the other side that I did not start on. Wanted to do the harder side first. Anyway this side is much closer where the passenger side was about 1/4 to 5/16" away from the rocker. If I put the bracket against he floor it's too far away from the inner rocker. If I push it to the rocker it's too far from the floor. I examined the rockers for a while and noticed they were a little wavy so I was able to pulled them into a better shape. Now when I place the bracket to the floor it's much more acceptable of a space. I was able to straighten the brackets out and had to bend the farther edges down to touch the rockers. I'll have to run a small bead instead of plug welds. I'll send some more pics as I go along.

Attachments

• 20231013_161327.jpg
    20231013_161327.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20231013_161401.jpg
    20231013_161401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20231013_161415.jpg
    20231013_161415.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Those rockers look weird.
How do the outer sill panels look?
Have you addressed the inner rocker problem adequately?

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Got one side done. Had to strip the outer rocker. Didn't notice a dent and took a day to straighten out. Plan on cutting out the other side tomorrow. Looks like I'll have to replace a chunk of the floor. Probably an inch and a half by 6" long up in the front corner where the inner seal and the floor are welded together. Rotted out and someone tried to repair with gobs of brazing.

Attachments

• 20231022_205405.jpg
    20231022_205405.jpg
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20231022_205417.jpg
    20231022_205417.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27