• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield to body seal

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Hello,

What sort of adhesive should I use to attach a new windshield seal to the windshield frame? Is there anything else I should do to insure a nice weatherproof seal against the body?

Mahalos,
Joel

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No seal, jam fit.

no sticky stuff, you will have enough fun getting the the windscreen back on the car. no need to add a sticky mess to the equation. One mistake i made was to trim the body seal, dont do it. it will end up not fitting quite right.

mark

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Thanks. So, I just pull out the old cracked seal and "stuff" this new one in, then cry and scream for hours while trying to fit it back on the car, only to have it magically work when my Wife tries to do it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Let you guys know how it works out.

Joel

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

removing the windshield is fairly simple. 2 bolts on either side, one bolt from inside the car the other from the outside. and the brace in the middle. there will be shims on the sides take note of number and location. slide old seal out of frame. slide new seal into frame. a little dishsoap makes this easier. its kinda like pushing a rope. reinstall windshield to car. Good Luck

mark

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
For the record I'd like to say that I have an extreme dislike of windshield to body seals.

This is driving me nuts. I get it about 1/4 of the way and then it pops out. I'm supposed to "thread" it through those little notches near the posts of the windshield frame, right?

Joel

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Exactly correct. I helps if there are two folks one to pull and one to guide.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sometimes helps to take a fine file and dress the end of the channel you are feeding the strup into just a bit. Only enought to insure there are on burrs.

How ya making out Joel?

mark

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I did it once.... now I just take it to an unsuspecting windshield guy. I ask how much he charges to install a windshield. The usual response is oh 25 bucks. I hand him the frame and windshield and come back a few hours later. The job is done and I am happy. The windshield guy will always say that was really tough. This only works once per windshield guy. I don't need that service very often and there are plenty of windshield guys.

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Well, seal is in the channel on the frame, but now its a matter of getting the frame back on the car. Those two center stabilizer bolts, I got new ones but the threads in the body of the car are all screwy. The one on the right is stripped, I think. So, I'm probably going to have to just put the windshield back on by using only the bolts on the either side of the frame.

Plus, it seems like I need my whole body weight bearing down on the thing to get the holes to align properly. So, it seems like its up to my Wife to use her small hands to thread those bolts in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My secret technique to getting that seal in the groove was to have my Wife watch me screw it up once or twice, then she just went at it with a flat-tipped screwdriver. An hour later, voila...good to go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I kinda thought you guys were talkin about the windshield frame seal. The channel is easy. Ya kinda just hook one side and poke the other side in with a flat head screwdriver. Never try to slide it in from the side. Takes no time.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I knew it, Jolly you bad. That is one fine idea. Must remember that.

Bugeye58

Yoda
I use a tool called a "slecker", that is actually made for this kind of operation. It's essentially just a piece of tapered plastic with rounded edges. The plastic won't mar the frame, and the rounded edges won't dig into the rubber.
Victoria sells them for 2 bucks. "Windshield stick" P/N 15-276. Page 50 of the fall 2005 Sprite catalog.
Jeff