• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mid-Ohio Group 1 race from bugeye

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Another quick edited flick from the rollbar of my Bugeye.
This race was run in the dry..thankfully!

Alfas, Spitfire, Bugeye and square sprites all together!
I had out qualified some, but they killed me on the straight speed at Mid-Ohio, but I had a great battle with the Spitfire, caught him but could just not get around him..safely!

This was only my third race, and first race with SVRA or at Mid-Ohio.

If you get a chance, go next year and camp..a great event with neat people and lots of paddock parties for all!

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyvP6-Daz-Y

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Great!

It looks like you had a little edge on handling and he had about 5 more HP (not surprising since he probably has 200 cc on you...and one extra port in his cylinder head). But he was really *trying* in the turns.....old Spitfires are spooky to drive in the twisties.

Anyway, that's what I loved about vintage...I can always find someone to race with. When I was doing club-racing with my Spridget, I didn't have that so much. Mostly, the only hope I'd have for a good race was if someone's Civic fouled a plug and ran on three cylinders.

With vintage, there always seems to be cars with "Sprite-level" performance, so you always have good time.

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Yes, if you watch, he started changing to my line near the end. I had done the SVRA Driver Program on Thursday and really learned the best line, which was not always the line you thought it took to get around.

After the race, we had a great crowd applause as I think the two of us put on a great show. I had to condense both vids for sharing, but we were after each other lap after lap! I tucked in a few times but just didn't have the horses to pass or didn't want to risk him not seeing me. After the race we both had a great talk as he said he had nothing left. He was running a 1180 motor so we were close and I just enjoyed catching then racing him close.

I love how well dialed in on handling my car is right now, the thing gives you confidence and those Hoosier Street Td tires are a blast to slide around on!

I would like to film your 1500 coming around me, you would be a blur! (The 1275 Sprites were fast enough!)

Good drive Doug, you looked good in the wet too on the other video. Question were you using 1st gear or 2nd in the Key Hole and the Carosel?

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Hap,

I used 1st at Blackhawk a few weeks ago, it is nice to have! At Mid-Ohio, I managed to carry allot of speed through both the Keyhole at the top of the hill and at the Carrousel that 2nd gear was fine. In the rain we were driving slower through the turns at least and I tried 1st once, but with the high revs and lack of traction, she stepped out on me and I decided to keep the revs down and tip-toe in the rain and didn't use 1st again!

Car ran really well too!

ThinkRacing said:
Great video. You can really experience what they mean when they say momentum cars. It seems like you were carrying the speed through a lot of the corners.

He-He, you got to keep the momnetum up with a 948, crack the throttle and you got to wait for them to wind back up again. :smile: Actually Doug starting racing with the 948 ( non existent torque ) to learn to drive off is not a bad deal, it will teach him to be smooth, and carry speed, guys who learned to drive 948s first normally make good race driver. Look out when he gets a 1275 tractor motor in there :smile:

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
..Nice! I see that red light coming on in R. handers, is that oil pres., do you have a pick up problem?

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
I have a pretty good Winner's Circle pan with their pick-up, so I am not sure. I sort of freaked out at first, but the oil pressure is great, new rings, maybe worn cam bearings? I figure I will get through the season and open her up over the winter. As it only lit up on right handers, perhaps I can see what mod I need to do to it. It is a baffled pan with the trap door as well.

I can say that the car ran as well as she ever has!

Hap, sell me a replacement motor?