• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Mid-Winter's Day Rant

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Sooooo,...

Spring is coming, and I'm not nearly as far along with this restoration, as I'd hoped I'd be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I haven't driven my baby since last July, and I'm really starting to feel the withdrawel pains!. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

This is just my little whining session, I'd like to get it out of my system now, so that on Monday I can start fresh, and kick some butt to get this thing done!

Feel free to join in, vent, commiserate or rant as much as you'd like!

OK,...so I bought the wrong car,..well,..it's the one I have,...too late now,.. I've already sunk 1.5 zillion dollars into her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
The body shop thinks that I have unlimited funds, the project has not only run over budget, but has effectively DOUBLED in cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Well,..I can make some sacrifices, come up with the cash,..... guess that supercharger is on hold til 2006 and I guess I'll have my dream vacation IN MY ROOM!,..pffft! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
This would all be fine, if I hadn't just seen a big flaw in the work they've done so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
It's a fixable flaw,...but if my mechanic hadn't pointed it out to me,..I'd have been dragging my fat ass on the road at some point come summertime! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
So I have to go in and get mean this week. For what I'm spending, the job should be done right! Heck,..the job should be done right anyway,..what's with people?!?!?!
But,..all will be fixed,...done correctly by the time it's done.
All is well with the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
I broke the darn windshield while trying to assemble it,...$170. worth of glass, down the toilet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif I take it to a professional. They call me 2 days later,..it's all set, come get it,...I go to pick it up,...the top brackets are on backwards, seal hanging out,..it looks like "who did it and ran?". Again,..what's with people?!?!?! I took it and ran,..home,..and fixed it properly.
Towed the car to the mechanic, so he could pull the engine and tranny, and clean out the engine bay for the bodyshop.
The previous owner of this car should be shot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
The phrase "Newly re-built engine with only 1500 miles" keeps running through my head,...BOLD FACED LIE!,...the car is a '75,...the engine has a 68 block, and assorted parts from about 6 different year's engines,..and to top it off, the motor mounts don't match up,..apparently there were 1.5 bolts holding the engine to the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Again,..what's with people?!?!?!
My mechanic has a '75 block, and will re-build it for me.

(((sighing heavily)))
Well,.that's it ,...for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks for listening, I feel better now!

Jerry

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Most of us know where your coming from. Most body shops are NOT restoration shops.I bought a TR3 from a lady a few years back who had taken it to one of the BEST body shops in town. She asked me to go to the shop and tell them they were not doing the job right. NO WAY who needs that.She had to pay $8000.oo to get her car out of the shop. She was so feed up she sold it to me at some loss.When I went to collect the car the shop justfied thier poor work by saying all old Brit cars were sh**t. Well maybe, but the fenders were'nt welded on, panels aligned with a hammer etc,etc from the factory.Your best bet is find an independent Brit car resto guy and be patient, and do what you can yourself.

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Steve!

lol,...I really do feel better already! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It'll get done right. Now I know exactly what needs doing, so I can stay on them about it. They'll get it done, just so they can get rid of me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Jerry

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Thanks BOXoROCKS,

It would be a different story, if I didn't know these guys personally ((jeez, imagine the work if I were a stranger! lol))

They'll get it done,..and done right!

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm looking forward and absolutely dreading doing the paint and body work on mine. I do have a question for you. How much modification did you have to do on yours for mounting the morspeed bumper and grill. I'm planning on doing this with mine and am curious about the amount of work needed.

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya Stewart,

Good luck with your work!
It's not all bad, I was just having a "moment" lol

They're working on the Bumpers this week,..I'll let you know what the deal is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's OK, Jerry - just go to your "Happy Place" - that's where I am right now!

Mickey

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The Australians have a wonderful outlook on this knind of thing....."She'll be right mate". Just keep telling yourself that! If it's any consolation we're all here rooting for you.

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya Steve,

Thanks for the kind words!
I just needed to let go of some "angst",..it's that time of year! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The aussies usually do have a fun way with putting things in perspective! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My very best friend is from Sydney, when he was a kid he'd gone to a boarding school for boys. He once told me that the house mother used to wake them each morning by drawing the curtains and saying, "Wakey, Wakey, hands off snakey!"

That ALWAYS makes me laugh!
I really do feel better now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jerry

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
As Steve said, "She'll be right mate."

The car already looks fantastic! And things will fall into place (once you teach them the facts of life according to Jerry!)

It's only early February. You're going to be styling around in that sweet-looking car in no time. I promise! Or I'll come kick some butt for you!

Have a hug, have a drink and kick back and watch the Stuporbowl today!

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Awwww,..Thanks Jaybird!

Feeling great about it today!
As a matter of fact, I've just picked out the new top and top cover from Prestige. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Am I manic, or what?? heeheehee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I'm going with the cabriolet top and cover (the one with the headliner), and the dark tan looks like it'll go with the Autumn Leaf interior, pretty nicely!

I've been hanging out with my sister too long,...shopping seems to be the cure for almost anything! lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Jerry

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've been hanging out with my sister too long,...shopping seems to be the cure for almost anything! lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

You're starting to scare me Jerry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Jerry -
It's Monday - hope you're feeling better. A fresh start and all, right?
Judging from what you've said about the engine, I'd bet the previous owner was the guy from that Johnny Cash song, One Piece at a Time. Here's a link to the lyrics if you don't remember it:
https://www.toptown.com/hp/66/onepiece.htm

Anyway, continued progress with it, and I agree with Steve. Your satisfaction rating, as they say, will be 100% when you're finished!

Super_Coop

Freshman Member
I feel your pain... really. My project is over budget, behind schedule, and for the most part has been constant frustration. My garage has been covered in rust dust, the floor covered in grease, and my girlfriend feels left out of my life because the car takes so much time. I was supposed to learn to ski this winter but I've devoted the winter months to the car so I can enjoy weekends during the summer. It would have been easier and cheaper to just buy a car that was finished. At least I'll have a totally sorted out car when it's done.

lawguy

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
It's OK, Jerry - just go to your "Happy Place" - that's where I am right now!

Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute... You're in Jerry's "happy place"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jerry, sorry about your delay, but it sounds like you are one of the luckiest people around, having someone who at least knows what your car is all about and helping you get the car to a safe conclusion. The SO. that sold you the car should be had up for attemped murder. Hope you are having a better week. Wayne

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
. At least I'll have a totally sorted out car when it's done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, you plan on finishing your car? I see this is your first british car resto, huh? I don't think there is such a thing as being "finished". Unless thats a synonym for "for sale" HaHaHa... Just kidding, Best of luck, and I hope your girlfriend is REAL patient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif