• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dayton Ohio British car show..good times

RaserX

Hey guys,

The family and I went to the show today. It was a great time. We looked at a lot of great cars. Most excellent time and no rain.

Oddly, I feel like midgets are just not appreciated as much as the triumphs, jags... Etc. I know it seems weird. Maybe, it was just the vibe I got. Don't get me wrong there were some great cars on display. Maybe it's just a supposed arrogance thing. Like if you didnt have a sunbeam, or TR3 you were just not one of the guys. Me personally, I'm a utility guy. I like things that are functional as well as good looking. So maybe it's little car syndrome... Lol.

Anyway, I meet Bugsy and as promised he took me for a ride and even let me drive. What an awesome experience. That really made my day( thanks so much John).
I was really impressed with the feel and power of the 1098cc motor. I really figured that small motor would struggle. But, It felt great an got up to speed with no issues. I'm continually impressed with the midget.
Now, I am truly inspired to get the midget on the road. So the carbs are coming off, check the brakes and clean the gas tank.I figure I'll take it around the block a couple times before I begin the tear down.

I did notice that there were very few (only one midget) tan interior cars. I guess black on black interior was a seventies thing. Was the midget ever made with different color carpets from the seats? Like tan seats with black carpet?
Also, no Black tulip painted midgets. I assume that MGB Demascus red is close to black tulip but I really have no idea. Regardless, my car is going factory black tulip with biscuit interior and chrome spoke wheels. Hopefully, it'll be one the road late next summer...or the following or the next. You know how things go....

The show was awesome. The people great (except for the lotus guy- a little too intense for me ... Lol).

Thanks again bugsy your a top notch guy

Country flag
Here is a cousin of Bugsy. This is Steve's car in Black Tulip.

Attachments

• 29342.jpg
    29342.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 170
Country flag
I didn't make it to Dayton. I attended the Street Rod Nationals here in Louisville. Only spridget I saw was a V8 bugeye.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Glad you had a good time and great that you got to drive a Spridget.

I have a '73 parts car that is black and has (OK, really "had") a tan interior. I don't think that's a rare combo.

Don't worry if people fawn all over the less common sports cars and just sniff at Spridgets.
I always appreciate other people's rare or fancy sports cars........but I generally do not <span style="text-decoration: underline">want</span> one.
A Spridget is <span style="text-decoration: underline">just</span> as much a true sports car as an XKE roadster or an Austin-Healey 3000. Of course, our cars are more common and more "working class".
They are also lighter and handle better than many other sports cars.
Which is the <span style="text-decoration: underline">key</span> part of a sports car (to me, at least).

OP
R

RaserX

That's exactly the word I was looking for and could not find "working class".

Working class has and always will be the backbone of any hobby or industry.

Since I too am working class . That's fine with me.

As for black and tan I was talking more about interior than exterior. Did these cars come with say black carpet and tan seats?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Johnny,

Glad you and family enjoyed the Dayton Show. I'm told in spite of the threats for severe weather there were 255 cars and 75-80 paid registration no shows due to weather threats. My 9 y.o. grandson Eli got to attend his British Car Show and truly enjoyed things. He appreciated all of the old cars, sitting behind the wheel of a '64 Elva Courier and being invited to goose the throttle I'm sure will stay in his memory for a long time. He love all of the Spridgets and Jag's but his favorite was a Black Aston Martin Vantage. Kids...Well I liked that one as well but know what I can afford.

Bugsy is part of the "working class" cars that were there but that doesn't mean I don't love driving him. That's part of the experience and then there is what happens when we get on a road course or a twisty road. That's why I love this car.

OP
R

RaserX

Hey Jim ( finally got the name right),

I really enjoyed the meet and again thanks for letting drive it was a hoot!!
. The vantage was nice so he has good taste. My wife also loved the Aston Martin. For some reason she always homes in on the 100k plus cars.... Women.

I really excited to get the midget in the road now ( before the tear down). I just need to find a local carb rebuild kit. I'll call a couple if the places I found from meet.