• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Maybe selling my Bugeye? Taking a poll -

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
My primary interest is racing - currently running a 1275 Midget in SCCA, mostly the Mid--Atlantic series and selected Majors (won Summit Point Major May 2015).
Now I am thinking that the way to really be consistently at the front in SCCA H production is to shift to a Honda (treason, I know). Posting here to solicit input - should I sell my 1960 street Bugeye to fund another racecar?
The Bugeye: Has a very stout 1275, alloy head, Kent 266 cam, HIF 44 carb, LCB header, Datsun dogleg 5 speed, megajolt distributorless ignition, lightened flywheel, balanced engine .040" overbore, 21250 pistons, EN 40 crank. Currently also has big brake setup, double bearing rear hubs, tube shocks front and rear, alloy wheels. Bare-metal body restoration, on a rotisserie. Rollbar and comp belts. It is a runner! Guards red -
Should sell: Because I hardly ever drive the thing, it has not been out of the garage since last fall, if I get the price I should for it (thinking absolute minimum $13K) I would have the $$ to buy a used Honda CRX or Civic racer, plus the $$ to bring said riceburner up to SCCA national-level competitiveness.
Should not sell: I am 65, and while my reflexes and eagerness to race seem quite sharp, I think I will have another 5 years or so of comp driving in me. And at that point I will want something neat and British to tool around in.
Help me decide what to do - and I will try and get around to posting a photo.

OP
B

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
DSC00129.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Where's your passion? If racing is really your thing, then maybe that's what you need to pursue. From what I understand that takes pretty much all available cash and then some, so that's a big plus towards a sale. Also, having a car sit for 5 or more years is really not great for the car, you'd have some work to do at the end to get it back on the road.

That said, that's a really nice Bugeye -- and they're not getting any cheaper. You've got one in hand that's clean and good -- drive it a little every year to keep things fresh and it'll be ready for your retirement years.

Hard call. Really seems to come down to how badly you want to win races.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey I am 73 so I think you may have more then 8 years left. If you do sell don't settle for $13,000. I think your Bugeye could easily bring $20,000 or more. look at E-bay right now. Your car is far superior in my opinion then what i have seen lately on E-Bay

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just remember, you have to bend with the market and the market is not that great at the present. If you hold yourself to 20K, I think you should get some dry storage for it. I'm selling a trophy winning MGB appraised for over 20K for 15K and having a tough time getting it. PJ

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Still... $15K is an absolute minimum.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm 65 and my passion is restoring LBCs and driving them. That said, Drews comments are spot on...feed your passion and race as long as you're able. There's always another Bugeye around the corner when the time comes to retire from racing and from the looks of your Bugeye you should get top dollar.
Rut

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Beautiful Bugeye, and close by. I wish I was in a position to take it off your hands, but I already have my hands and garage full. At some point, I'm probably going to have to scratch my Bugeye itch, but still having too much fun with the Square Sprite.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What a great Sprite, a real beauty! You are obviously an experienced racer, so you know what it takes to go racing and if you need the money to do so, then sell it. If you don't need the money so much, then think about how you might feel once you hang up the helmet. Do you love the car but just don't get around to driving it right now? Do you think you might regret not having it in five years? If so, don't sell it. How many of us regret selling a car we once had--all of us! If it were me, I know I would regret it if I let it go.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I vote "KEEP". Why sacrifice a fine road car to support another race car in which you may accumulate a few more $10.00 trophys. Put things in perspective.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There will always be more cars.
the racing comes with only so many seasons

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'd go racing. If you end up regretting selling the BE, you can always get another. If you pass up on racing until you're no longer in a position to do so, you can't get that time back.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There will always be more cars.
the racing comes with only so many seasons

If this particular Bugeye is not personally special to you then you can always replace it later. Prices are going up, but really not all that fast. Time does march on, and some things you do need to do now and not later.

Country flag
I'm not saying don't sell the Bugeye, but keep in mind that in five or so years when you are ready to replace it, you will not just be looking for another Bugeye. You will also be dealing with the cost of bringing the Bugeye you find up to the condition of the one you already have.

nomad

Yoda
Interest rates are low....keep it! I'm 66 and in the last year my back has layed me up most of the time and arthritis has kicked in! Don't count on being in great shape forever!!

Kurt

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm fairly new to spridgets, though the one I've owned I've done a ton to... I would never get rid of my car for anything less than absolute necessity. I've got other way way nicer more expensive cars I'd get rid of before the sprite. That being said, if your not attached to it, get rid of it... Someone else I'm sure will enjoy it

xkejoe

Freshman Member
"Racing is what really matters. Everything else is just waiting". Not my line but at 68 I have no plans to quit racing. Only real question is "how can this car be made to go faster"?