• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Master cylinders

Taz

Jedi Trainee
new question

my car is a 63. it has the combo brake and clutch master. would like to go to a duel master for saftey reasons. I have a late model peddel box. Looking at prices its going to be over $300. for the 2 master cylinders.I can build this system for about $200. https://www.speedwellengineering.com/pedalpage.html or do you think this is over kill. My car is not a restored car. Its a fun car. last winter I put a Datsun 5 spd in it and rewired it with more fuses and relays for the lights. more little tidbits to. the point is that I would like to try my hand at autocross. besides just having a fast fun little car to drive on the street

So what do we think

Carl

Attachments

• 160083-sptite003.jpg
    160083-sptite003.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 61

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Do it. It works great. Be sure and buy a new or rebuilt brake master cylinder. Do not try to rebuild the late model master cylinder. I have never had any luck rebuilding those units.

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
It is also possible to retrofit a tilton master cylinder for the clutch, if you space it back a bit and (possibly) rotate it 45 degrees. This depends on whether or not you want to use the stock late brake cylinder. I'd retrofit a different unit if at all possible. Simply make one spacer for both the tilton clutch cyl and the retrofitted brake cyl. I made mine on a CNC mill for the clutch only, but in retrospect, I wish I'd have planned ahead for the brake cylinder replacement and had it on the same piece of stock. That would have made it a lot easier to fabricate the clutch adapter.

I did this because I have had horrible luck with hydraulic cylinders. Thus far, my tilton unit has served excellently in the clutch department, and my FAG manufactured VW brake cylinder, with probably 150k on it at the least, has also performed without fail. It happens to be the same bore size, but is used with power steering in late 80's model jettas and golfs. The bolt pattern is desireable. Another option for clutch cylinders is a late model nissan clutch cylinder. It has a threaded pushrod and desireable bolt pattern. I don't remember exactly what year, but I have a worn out one that could be compared.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The masters on my '72 Midget look like they were replaced not too long ago. I am tearing down the entire car for a rebuild. Not really a restoration but a very clean, nice weather car. Should I re-use them, rebuild them or buy new.

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
If they work, I'd keep using them. I kept buying replacements, and they kept failing. This is why I got fed up with the situation.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I have installed later dual cylinders on my 59 sprite with front disk brakes and am very happy. It requires little cutting of the firewall.

ramajon

i just rebuilt my master...had some trouble w/ the piston sticking but a little hone work solved that...i also have upgraded to disks in the front...but the real change happened when i put in a servo unit that i found new in england at half the price they cost here in the usa...i bought 2 for a little more than what 1 costs here...this brought good power to my brakes...i used the other servo on my sunbeam which was designed for a servo unit...rebuilding the master is quite easy...

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
How did you hone these out? What can you recommend for to hone out brake cylinders?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A smallish hone from your friendly auto parts store, works great and cheep.

ramajon

i used a honer that had 3 seperate prongs rather than a ball hone...but a ball hone will work...check your work often clean it out and try your rebuild parts...also expect to put it on the car and take it off again several times until everything works right...oh and try to ignore the 2 or 3 other jobs you find during this and everyother bugeye repair

OP
Taz

Taz

Jedi Trainee
I take it that you rebuilt the stock master. That is not a problem, but I would prefer to go to a duel master of some sort. Looking at prices for new duel masters, they are very expensive. I can build a system useing racing masters for far less. This is what I wanted to get some feed back on. everyone has been very helpfull

Carl