• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Leaky rear hub seal

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Saw some oil on the garage floor near the rear wheel today--turns out it's differential oil, probably a bad seal on my 1960 bugeye. I can replace it, no problem, as soon as I buy a few more tools and of course a new seal. However, this puppy was just restored 1000 miles ago. Why would a new seal start to leak so soon? Any suggestions about what I should look for before I dig into it?

Thanks for your help--

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It's British?!
Marking its territory... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I have 1 maybe 2 drips in a 24 hour period and don't worry about as long as it's kept topped up.
I guess if you have more than that then it could be a problem, but... it is natural for a couple to sneak out.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
if it's the seal at the pumpkin and no gasket sealant was used, it would not be uncommon for a leak to develop. i used a little ultra blue on that seal to help for any possible warps or gaps where oil might seep. other than that, as john stated, it's british!

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
There is a gasket that goes inside the axle. Was it cleaned up and replaced? Rear wheel, I also think about the rear slave, it has marked my floor.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Sorry, I could have been clearer. It's leaking at the wheel, and a fair amount--like, a #"x2" puddle overnight. Mainly, I'm afraid of it getting on the brakes--otherwise, I'd just keep it full and not worry. Fortunately, it hasn't so far, but I found it quickly. Since the car was meticulously restored, I assume the seal was replaced--but I'll find out for sure soon. (Like, when I find a wrench for that @#!*&%! 1 7/8" nut!) Mainly, I was wondering if there was anything I should know about this seal, beyond what's in the service manuals.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is an o ring and a gasket. Gasket is real thin, use a bit of sealer on it, both sides. Every thing must be real clean.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Well, got the thing apart today, and the problem is obvious: the axle flange gasket/o-ring combination is OK, but the inner oil seal is just barely touching the surface it is supposed to seal against. It's an interesting design, though; it's specifically made so that any leakage past the oil seal goes out through a hole in the brake backing plate, toward the inside of the car, so it stays off the brake shoes. Of course, once outside, the oil gets on the tire and is flung merrily all over the place. Quite a mess, but the brakes are OK.

Parts are on order, so it all should be back together soon. Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lovely, so nice when the problem and solution are obvious.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Steve,
Another thing to look at is whether the vent in the differential housing is plugged, or painted/undercoated over. It is on the right side of the housing, at the top side about 2 o'clock looking from the rear. Unscrew it and clean it. Pressure will build up in the housing and actually pump oil out of the weakest spot, which it seems you've already identified.

Peter