• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Just about finished- 1970 TR6

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow! That looks really nice. Did you use a kit on the seats or take them to someone? All very lust-worthy, including what appears to be a lift under the car!

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks very much, guys. It means alot that you're liking the results. I'll post final pictures after all is done and cleaned up.

In the meantime, there are still a few mysteries to solve. The center trim strip that goes across the middle of the grille seems to be NLA without buying the whole grille assembly. I'm hoping to find just that piece. Also, I'm trying to sort out the wiring for the interior lights- it seems more complicated than I expected. I've got another parts order to send in, wiper blades and other small bits.

However, it's ready for the test drive today so we'll see how that goes..

And to answer a couple questions- the seats were a kit, but professionally installed. And that is a mid-rise lift under the car. I'd be lost without it.

Thanks again, Jeff

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Jeff,

Lucky friend! :smile:

Very nice looking 6.

Scott

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Jeff- Which lift?

Don,

It is a mid-rise lift I bought from SnapOn probably 12 years ago. It was about $1800 or so at the time. It has paid for itself several times over. It works perfectly for the TR6, right width to lift only on the frame, and low enough to clear the bottom of the car. I think there are several mid-rise lifts available now, probably less than I paid. They are movable, very stable, and run on 110V (running a hydraulic pump). For the kind of work I do (the fun stuff, no heavy duty underneath in the middle of the car) it is ideal. I'll even lift the car to wax the sides, vacuum, etc., it is that easy to use.

If you have questions about the lift, just pm me and I'll give you more detail.

Jeff

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Test drive results:

67 miles today. Nobody had to walk home. Spring clip was loose on carb shaft, so created a little mystery for a while- there goes my careful synchronizing job! Runs too cool on the interstate, need to check the thermostat (or lack thereof!). The new exhaust system (stainless steel) sounds great, rebuilt tranny and new clutch all feel real good. Went out with all lights working, came back the same way, a bit miraculous. Despite all the good news, I still came up with a least 10 more things that I could work on.

The TR6 has a more comfortable ride at 30 mph and above than I remember- smooth, not a floating kind of feel exactly, but almost. A fun car...

Jeff

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jeff, I'll look at a couple of grills I have and see if there is a good one among them.

Really nice car and I know how much work you did to make it look like that, mines a '70 and white.

Wayne

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Wayne,

Marv Gruber sent a pm and he has one of the center strips he's going to send. Thanks for thinking of me though! Jeff

Jeff, I'll look at a couple of grills I have and see if there is a good one among them.

Really nice car and I know how much work you did to make it look like that, mines a '70 and white.

Wayne

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
My grille has no bar either.But - there's nothing to attach it to. Make sure your grille has a bracket in back that the cross bar will screw into. Mine has no bracket and a new grille assembly is expensive.

Phil Holmes

Freshman Member
I'm the lucky friend who will soon be getting the 1970 Triumph TR6 that Jeff Ward et. al. are bringing back to life. It's been 40 years since I last owned a sports car and to have Jeff doing the restoration work makes it worth the wait. The car will be in Baltimore (go Ravens!) and I look forward to meeting forum members at meets.

Best,

Phil Holmes

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Welcome aboard Phil. Those Maryland back roads and your TR6 are made for each other. Hang out here and you'll find an amazing amount of Triumph knowledge. Plus there are individuals here with truly great diagnostic abilities.

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
With a little help from my friends...

Thanks to Marv Gruber who graciously agreed to part with the center aluminum strip he noticed I needed for the TR6 grille. That was a big help and I installed it yesterday- moving a bit closer to the finish line. It's good to have friends! Jeff

DSC09554-M.jpg