• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Interior is about finished

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
This week I've largely finished the interior of my TD. The plan is to get some gas into it, start it again, check for leaks or other problems, get the carbs tuned and ignition tweaked. It's still on non-op, so I need to turn on the registration and insurance before it goes on the road. Then, I should be able to take it for a test drive. We have a local July 4th parade, and it would be nice to drive it in that. Seems a little ironic to drive a British car in the July 4th parade, but I wouldn't be the first.

Attachments

• interior_4842.jpg
    interior_4842.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 77
  • interior_4843.jpg
    interior_4843.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 71

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
LOVE IT!

As for driving in the parade, maybe you can be a POW... :devilgrin:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice job Steve! Looks great! Your allowed in the July 4th parades Steve, they didn't have cars back then, only buggies! :highly_amused: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks really nice, Steve. Congrats!

And to assuage any concerns about driving a Brit car in the parade: YOU are the driver/owner, therefore YOU are the Conqueror. :jester: :devilgrin:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice work!

I like Doc's comment -- consider the TD to be spoils-of-war. :grin:

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I like Doc's view, too. Actually, I drove my Bugeye Sprite in the parade a couple years, and it was well received.

The parade really isn't a big deal; it's a fun event, put on by the neighborhood association. All the kids join in, decorate their bikes and so on, and we march about half a mile at a very slow pace (see? The TD's super-low 1st gear is good for something!), ending at a park for games and free hot dogs. The kids play, the parents stand around and talk. A nice neighborhood event.

The last few years a guy with a restored antique fire engine has participated. It's an absolutely stunning vehicle, and I look forward to seeing it. We've also had a Jaguar Mk. 12 and a gull-wing Mercedes.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Well, I got it on the road yesterday. I spent Thursday in a marathon session of finishing things--assembling and installing the bonnet, putting on the bumpers, and so on. It seemed that everything possible went wrong--for example, I wanted to move the radiator a quarter inch farther forward, which required loosening the upper radiator hoses. I drained out about a half gallon of coolant, which turns out to be a bit awkward. I couldn't see the bucket, but I heard the coolant running into it, so all seemed in order. I closed the radiator tap, looked at the bucket, and it was empty! The &^@#! thing had a hole in it, and all my coolant was pooled on the garage floor.

By the end of the day, I was dog tired, and in no shape to try out the car. Instead, I took a spin around the neighborhood early Friday morning and joined the parade a couple hours later. There were quite a few British cars there, including a lovely Mk. 7 Jaguar. Another Jag had a lovely two-tone paint job, but the interior was a disaster; it's a rolling restoration. Finally, there were a lot of American cars, including the nicest '61 Corvette I've ever seen.

The cars left the group first, a good plan for safety, and that meant we were first in line for the free hot dogs. We visited with friends, stuffed our faces, and watched the kids play. A good morning.

Attachments

• mgtd_me_4877.jpg
    mgtd_me_4877.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 64

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on getting the TD on the road!

Bummer about the hole-in-the-bucket... sometimes these cars conspire against us. But we win in the end when we get to take them out for a drive.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
better a hole in the bucket than in the rad! TD looks awesome! and, it is interesting -you always wonder what people look like, may I say with the beard/stache/flat cap combo no one in the world suits a TD better then you! well done. :cheers:

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, I suppose so. Always look on the positive side of things. A hole in the radiator would have dumped out more of the coolant, too.

I always wear a hat when I'm out, because I don't have any natural sun protection on top of my head, and I've had quite a bit of sun damage over the years. I like to think it hasn't gone much deeper than the skin, but you never know...

BW, that's my wife Julie looking at the two-tone Jag. She seems to be enjoying the TD, too, but probably will never admit it!

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
She cant admit it- because, then you would be justified in everything you've spent. From what Im learning thats no couch change. Im glad you snaked in to the parade.

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BW, that's my wife Julie looking at the two-tone Jag. She seems to be enjoying the TD, too, but probably will never admit it!

smart woman - puts her in a better bargaining position. ;)