• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heated Garage Finished

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
Well, it took a while but I finally finished insulating and heating my side of a 2 bay garage. Wife wants to know why the TR6 gets heat but not her car. Women!! lol I insulated the walls, ceiling and then drywalled it. Now my TR6 is always heated to at least 60 degrees. But the bummer is my hard drive craped out on my garage computer. Always something ain't it. Can't wait til spring gets here and I can take it off the blocks and go cruising.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
I always have hard drive problems when I have my computer on blocks :smile:
Seriously, hope things warm up soon, NY has been hit with more than it's share of nasty weather recently.
Bob

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Congrats!

I spend so many hours out in the garage, having heat turned out to be one of the best investments. Now if I can just better lighting!!!

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats!

I spend so many hours out in the garage, having heat turned out to be one of the best investments. Now if I can just better lighting!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been dreaming of heating and lighting(properly) mine for years.....Problem is in the winter it's too full of cars to move, and who wants to work on the garage in the summer when you can work on the cars?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sammy- I install a ceiling mount halide fixture in my garage. I had a small "6" get together and they were amazed at how bright it was.
don

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
Tell me again why you only heated one sid of your garage? I have to take your wife's side on this one..... There is no way I would get away with that. Your a better man than I..

OP
jerrybny

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
She got the garage door opener and the remote start. Would would she do with a heated bay anyways. Its not like she is out there working on her car. lol

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
Wow, congrats. We're very slowly in the process of doing the same thing. Got 95% of the insulating done and about 1/3 of the sheetrocking. We're pretty good as far as lighting goes and I've a got a wood stove that will heat the place if I ever get the money to buy the expensive double wall stainless stove pipe to hook it up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

My dream would be to have a nice epoxy finish floor (or at least something other than bare concrete), but there's no way my wallet is ever going to be fat enough to pay for that. Oh well.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Congrats on getting your project completed!

But.... heated garage? Why?

Oh, wait! It gets *cold* in other parts of the world, doesn't it?

We Californian's sometimes forget that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Seriously, I do miss the garage I had in Colorado some years ago. The previous homeowner (DPHO?) had it custom built with big plans to have his own upholstery business there. But he should have checked the zoning codes. The fact that businesses weren't allowed in the residential neighborhood was a key reason he had to sell and I was able to buy the house.

That garage was 36'x36', heated, had 10' ceilings, and two 9' tall roll up doors, each with it's own opener. It also had it's own half bathroom/laundry area, tool/spares room, small office area, attic storage, was wired with both 110 and 220. It even shared a built-in, central vacuum with the house.

Another reason I got a deal on the house was because nothing worked. The previous two owners were DIYers with, um, somewhat limited skill sets. I knew it was a fixer-upper, and it sure was a learning experience for me!

The central vac was incorrectly wired, the dishwasher drain hose was plugged up, only one of four burners on the brand new fancy range worked, the garage doors were jammed shut to "lock them" and the openers weren't even hooked up.

Even the 15'x30' glassed-in patio and custom-built fireplace in the living room were screwed up. Every room had different color wall-to-wall carpets.... covering up beautiful hardwood floors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In the end, I didn't have to buy many major items. It was nearly all new stuff, just incorrectly installed. Prioritezed and then went through item by item over the course of a couple years time, correcting problems, and that was that.

Still sometimes kick myself wondering why I let my ex talk me into moving and selling that place... Maybe that's one reason she's my ex... And, maybe all the time I spent happily puttering in my "mega garage" is one reason I'm her ex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]

That garage was 36'x36', heated, had 10' ceilings, and two 9' tall roll up doors, each with it's own opener. It also had it's own half bathroom/laundry area, tool/spares room, small office area, attic storage, was wired with both 110 and 220. It even shared a built-in, central vacuum with the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that would be nice-- I have a remote garage for my toys-- that's the good news but I use deep cycle batteries for my light and audiovisual sources but have to work when the weather is reasonable. My long range plan , after getting the TR more ready for "consistent" service, is 60-90 amp electric service so I can get at least minimum heat and good lighting.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a better idea, air conditioning in the garage.

That's how you think in Florida.

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy enough here, just open the door... even in the summer... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

IanF

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We think that in the NorthEast as well... not just for temps, but to keep the bugs OUT! Otherwise, you get eaten alive... especially at night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif