• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1954 100-4 in my garage

TFR1

Country flag
Last year I read a thread started by Britlover about an original Spruce Green car he discover in Michigan. I had previously owned two BN2's and after seeing Britlovers car i started looking for a 100-4 again.
Recently I found and bought a BN1 with a Feb. 1954 build date.
Not as "perfectly preserved" as Britlover found, but a very nice unrestored ( though it has a repaint from the 70's), no rust 2 owner car.
I will post a couple of photos tomorrow for those that are curious.
One question is when did BN1's received steel boots and bonnet's. My car's bonnet and boot are alloy.
I also am curious about a boot lid seal. Is the seal attached to the shroud or the boot lid?

I drove the car for the first time today. Very happy with my decision to make it mine.

TFR1

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The seal goes to the lid. The seal ends should butt up at the top center of the lid when it is in the closed position.

OP
T

TFR1

Country flag
Michael,
Thanks.
My question about the seal is because the attachment bracket for the boot lid stay appears to interfere with placement of the seal.

The boot lid stay bracket is different than on my previous BN2's.
Bracket has body number stamped on it so I a pretty certain that the bracket is correct.

TFR1

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Aluminium bonnet and boot were replaced with steel in May and June 54 respectively so your Feb 54 car should have aluminium for the both, so very likely these are the original parts in your case. Congratulations on the purchase.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Not being able to see your lid/stay I can't comment but at least in the later production cars with steel lids the seal affixes to it with the butted joint as described.

Sounds like you have an interesting car--congrat's.

OP
T

TFR1

Country flag
Not being able to see your lid/stay I can't comment but at least in the later production cars with steel lids the seal affixes to it with the butted joint as described.

Sounds like you have an interesting car--congrat's.

Here are a couple of pictures.
Hopefully the upliad has worked.
I will try to attach a few more.

TFR1

Attachments

• 20150308_153222.jpg
    20150308_153222.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150308_153213.jpg
    20150308_153213.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 143
OP
T

TFR1

Country flag
The car looks good in the photos. A little less spectacular in person, but not bad for a 61 year old used car.
I am sure there will be many little things that are not correct but I hope to have fun while I tidy up the details.
New tires are first so I can drive.
Now to decide radials or Dunlop bias ply.
Thanks for looking.

TFR1

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Congratulations on the purchase, beautiful cars, and great to drive. Looks good, the rust free part is what is important, the rest is a relatively easy to fix and sort as needed, except for the gearbox, which is leaky and not well synchroed under the best of circumstances, still, it is a big part of what makes the car unique and gives it a very vintage feel. I remember one contemporary road test of the 100 commenting on the "short throws" of the box, my how things change.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice panel fits. can you tell if it has ever been restored (other than a respray)?

Just reread your original post...says it's unrestored. Question answered. Nice find...congrats!

Last edited:

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Awsome find..great car to enjoy!! I love mine......but...by the way....there is no such thing as a 100-4!!!

The quicker we stop using this term the faster we will eliminate its improper usage!

Pete

OP
T

TFR1

Country flag
Thanks for the comment. It was a fortunate find.

So is it properly described as an Austin Healey 100. What about the BN1 reference?

TFR1

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So is it properly described as an Austin Healey 100. What about the BN1 reference?

TFR1

There are two models of 100's - BN1 and BN2. The earlier ones are BN1. There are differences in the front axles, rear axle, transmission and numerous other items, more than I can remember.

The 100-6 models have four designations: BN3 (only 4 made), BN4 (lots made, have 4 seats), BN5 (one made), BN6 (lots made, have 2 seats), all have 6-cylinder engines.

britlover

Congrats on the find! Looks a LOT like my car. I put Vredestein radials on my car, and they are a huge improvement. If you need any originality reference please let me know, happy to help with detail photos from my car.

PeterBL

Freshman Member
My BN1 is a May build. I have no reason to doubt the bonnet and boot lid are not original. They are steel and aluminimum resp. The other deviation is a vinyl covered dash. Prior to restoration there was no seal on the boot. I was anxious to prevent dust getting through the luggage and added a full seal. It was changed to the lid where works better. I am not happy about the fuel fumes in the luggage. I think I will end up with a half seal (or whatever is original). The snaps are nice is the arial connected to something that works.

OP
T

TFR1

Country flag
Britlover,

I am glad you have added to the conversation.
When I read your story last year, I was motivated to find a similar car. So pleased that one came my way, and Spruce Green with a green interior and top! What a great color combination.
Is your car an alloy boot and bonnet car? If so, a couple of pictures of the bracket for the boot lid prop would be nice.

I put Vredestein radials on my BN4 last year. They are fine but I wish I had bought a bigger tire. What size did you put on your 100?

TFR1

britlover

TFR1- I will attempt to snap a pic of the boot lid prop for you tonight, it is an alloy bonnet and boot lid car... can't remember the build month, but it was originally purchased in April '54, so I think it was March.

I put the 155 Vredestein's on my car and lost about 3/4 inch of ground clearance due to the smaller OD. If I could go back and do it again I would use 165's, but they are fine, ride well, handle well, and the ground clearance loss hasn't yet been an issue (I'm pretty careful). One added benefit of the smaller OD is a little more gear reduction for snappier acceleration, but of course the speedo is now quite optimistic.

britlover

TFR1-- Here are a couple of shots of the prop rod. Wasn't sure which end you were interested in, so both are here. My car is missing the rubber seal, previous owner appears to have tried some weather strip on the body, I'm told it should be on the boot lid. Also, the build date of my car is March 15 1953 according to the Heritage Certificate... seems early for a '54? Could it be a typo? Car was sold new in Indiana in April 54 for $3020.

20150310_190052.jpg20150310_185353.jpg