• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What is a completely original 1954 100-4 worth?

britlover

I have access to a completely unrestored/ unmolested 100-4 that has 25 thousand original miles being sold by its original owner. Paint is completely original and in great condition, interior is original and seats are starting to go. Even has its original dunlop tires. Hasn't been driven in 7 years, but should be easy to get it going. It has been meticulously maintained, and cared for. No visible rust or corrosion, but couldn't get under the car.

Any idea what it might be worth, ball park? I think the owner is asking too much from what I've seen, but it isn't officially listed anywhere for sale, so I could have first dibs...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

Hurry up and buy it for what he is asking for it.Keoke-

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keoke said:
:savewave:

Hurry up and buy it for what he is asking for it.Keoke-

What he said.....The current trend for original cars is at an ultra high point and true collectors (deep pockets) will pay far beyond market value for a car like that.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
BUY No doubts :iagree:
-after
controls on brakes
and particular flex pipes- and Master cylinder and shoes
then
give us a complete photo service of <span style="font-weight: bold">YOUR</span> 100-4
cheers
Andrea

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Let me summarize your post.

original owner
25K original miles
unrestored/ unmolested
meticulously maintained
original tires
original paint, great condition
seats are starting to go
sitting 7 years
No visible rust or corrosion

I think you hit upon a key factor..RUST underneath. If there is no rust repair required, then you have something very special; an unrestored, low mileage, completely original car, in excellent condition, I agree that $50K is a steal. If you have to start patching or replacing panels, then I think the car falls into a different category.

59BN6

Freshman Member
Whatever the case, you should do your homework first. Are you taking the owner's word that it actually is original? I would want to know for sure that were the case if it were anybody but my immediate family telling me that!! Be careful not to get too carried away and regret your lack of due diligence later!!

If it were being sold as any other 100-4, that would be another thing, but if you are paying for an original, matching numbers, un-restored and drive-able 100-4, you want to be sure that it exactly what you are getting!

If on the other hand, you have already made sure of this, 40-50k has to be about right.

OP
britlover

britlover

I just bought this car yesterday. It is even nicer than I thought- truly a time capsule. Runs and drives excellently, even on its original set of Dunlop tires. Its spruce-green paint is still in excellent condition with just a little patina. The interior is an unusual dark green leather, seats are not torn but are quite aged, and the top and tonneau are also green and original. The underside is not rusty at all, and still carries mostly original paint under there. The Man who bought the car new (still alive, but in a wheelchair and 86 years old) kept every part ever removed from the car, every piece of documentation, all receipts and paperwork. It was only ever driven on sunny days from new, and always garaged. Rust-free originals like this are impossible to find here in Michigan, but this car proves that it can be done. I found it through word of mouth, and it was never advertised for sale.

I don't have the car in my physical possession yet, but will post pics here shortly.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just bought this car yesterday. It is even nicer than I thought- truly a time capsule. Runs and drives excellently, even on its original set of Dunlop tires. Its spruce-green paint is still in excellent condition with just a little patina. The interior is an unusual dark green leather, seats are not torn but are quite aged, and the top and tonneau are also green and original. The underside is not rusty at all, and still carries mostly original paint under there. The Man who bought the car new (still alive, but in a wheelchair and 86 years old) kept every part ever removed from the car, every piece of documentation, all receipts and paperwork. It was only ever driven on sunny days from new, and always garaged. Rust-free originals like this are impossible to find here in Michigan, but this car proves that it can be done. I found it through word of mouth, and it was never advertised for sale.

I don't have the car in my physical possession yet, but will post pics here shortly.
COMPLIMENTS !! waiting the pics
Cheers

OP
britlover

britlover

side_low_res.jpgengine_bay_low_res.jpginterior_low_resl.jpgall_open_small.jpg

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Stunning!!! Great find. Document all you can with the original owner while you can. In the 356 world, someone took a car like this and took hundreds of photos and made a book out of it documenting all the originality. When we find cars that are all original like this, I think making a book with hundreds of pictures is a wise thing for future restorers. Pictures speak volumes, and when we know a car is as delivered, it is priceless. I would not change anything, but just be meticulous in cleaning items and checking over things making sure they are serviceable. I even like the period driving lights.
Jim

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wow! Amazing car. I'd think twice before replacing those seats. As someone said earlier, try leather conditioner first. The overall 'patina' of the car is wonderful, and those seats really add to the effect.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Congrats

Great buy. Those seats will come up a treat with some leather cleaner and restorer and a bit of effort. Far better than any reproductions.

Take your time to find the information to do it the best way. Leather that old does not like water, Google for Gliptone or Mothers.
You sure have a special car for its age. I think making a book / interview with the former owner, is a great idea. Other 100 owners will benefit.

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Absolutely amazing! Looks like the painting of the engine number tag question has an answer? I very much look forward to seeing more photos of this time-capsule.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
That is so cool, would love to have a chance to look at it close, don't get me wrong, I appreciate a well restored car, but when I go to shows or collections I the unrestored originals are the cars that catch my eye, great find, and, call me unusual, but one of the things I remember about driving british cars back in the day is the slightly musty smell from carpets and old leather that had gotten wet mixed with a little gas and hot oil. After I restored a couple cars I thought there was something missing, and realized it was that musty old car smell in the interior, I know some may thing "stinky old car" but I love it. Enjoy.