• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

instrument led lamps

BJ8TONY

Silver
Country flag
Hello all.
Some time ago I remember reading about LED replacement lamps for the dash instruments.
I tried to find the link but no luck.
Can someone please reply with a link to the site that carried them.

Thanks

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
BJ8TONY
Search the BC forum using this number #407760.

I saved the article on my computer, but I do not think it will fit in this post. I can always email it to you if you can not find it. i did the LED conversion. It does work well, but you do get a glare for the instrument glass at night.

The post came from AUSMHLY "How to: Brighter gauge face with LED’s" It was posted 02/09/08

robert_ellison

Jedi Trainee
I am confused how to actually install these bulbs, Also don't know where to find the "AUSMHLY "How to: Brighter gauge face with LED’s" article.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Duane_Rhynard said:
Tony,

https://www.autolumination.com/

Good luck,

Duane
58 BN6
Duane, did you use the "74" bulbs? Did the 3/8inch bulb fit in the holders for the Healey? Or did you have to buy the twist lock bulb bases instead?

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Johnny;

I installed the LED lights in my BN6.
I used a T10, super white color E10 screw Superstar w/ Heatsink from "www.autolumination.com.
I unscrewed the old bulbs and installed these. Installed quick, it took more time to get into the footwell then to install the Led bulbs.

Thanks Roger for the LED article,
I have not drilled for the extra bulbs in the instrument gauges yet, that will be my winter project.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Roger for the Link to the thread, saves time.
I've tried replacing the older bulbs with newer one's. Now I have a lot of light but lots of flash back from the gauge glass, the fuel gauge in particular. The fuel gauge has a blue plastic strip that diffuses the bulb light mounted above it, in my car that strip is missing. Currently, I can't even read the gauge at night. I suppose I have to remove the bulb altogether and replace with a LED. I don't like drilling into the fuel gauge for mounting though.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Johnny said:
Thanks Roger for the Link to the thread, saves time.
I've tried replacing the older bulbs with newer one's. Now I have a lot of light but lots of flash back from the gauge glass, the fuel gauge in particular. The fuel gauge has a blue plastic strip that diffuses the bulb light mounted above it, in my car that strip is missing. Currently, I can't even read the gauge at night. I suppose I have to remove the bulb altogether and replace with a LED. I don't like drilling into the fuel gauge for mounting though.

Hi Johnny,
The fuel gauge in my BJ8 does not have a blue plastic strip. I'm not sure what your referencing.

There are two places that illuminate the gauge face. The light shines in through the opening where the needle is and there is a small round opening under the half way mark on the bottom of the gauge that light shines up through.

There is no place to drill a hole for another bulb.

The 2.2 watt filament bulb can be replaced with a 4 watt filament or the one watt led, as referenced in my article.
Both will work great.

Cheers,
Roger

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sorry Roger, I should've been more specific. My BJ7 has the gold faced gauges where both the safety gauge and the fuel gauge have the bulbholder above the gauge. Surrounding each are openings to allow light onto the gauge. Also, above the openings are blue tinted strips of plastic that allow light through to illuminate the gauge face. At least that's how it's supposed to work.

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello Johnny,
yes that's how it's supposed to work with the fuel and water temp/oil pressure gauges.

When I fitted LED's to my BN7 I found that with these 2 gauges there was light only coming from one side of the gauge.

I made another bulb holder and mounted it on the opposite side to the original one so now I have 2 LED's for each of those gauges with plenty of light.

You don't need to drill holes in the back of these 2 gauges, just the Speedo and Tach.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
BUNDYRUM said:
Hello Johnny,
I made another bulb holder and mounted it on the opposite side to the original one so now I have 2 LED's for each of those gauges with plenty of light.

You don't need to drill holes in the back of these 2 gauges, just the Speedo and Tach.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

Hi Bundyrum,

Could you post some photos showing how you mounted the bulb holders you made? I'd be interested to see that, as I'm sure others would too.
Cheers,
Roger