• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Instrument Bulbs

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My 72 has the "eared type" instrument bulbs. The screw in types and the bayonet types will not fit. I can get them in the original wattage. I don't want to modify the dash to take a different type of bulb. Anyone know if the eared types can be had in a higher wattage? PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I haven't actually looked for the base type you have, Paul, but these guys are my first choice for 'specialty' bulbs. They've been around for years. I've used 'em primarily for photo lighting applications but they have about the best range of bulbs I've seen.

https://www.bulbman.com/

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I haven't actually looked for the base type you have, Paul, but these guys are my first choice for 'specialty' bulbs. They've been around for years. I've used 'em primarily for photo lighting applications but they have about the best range of bulbs I've seen.

https://www.bulbman.com/

I checked with them Doc and they have the screw in type and the bayonet type but not the eared ones. I know I can get them in the original wattage, but I haven't found them in a brighter bulb. I was thinking of mounting a couple of my wifes votive candles on the dash. They must be brighter! Would be interesting anyway.
happy0148.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
... I was thinking of mounting a couple of my wifes votive candles on the dash. They must be brighter! Would be interesting anyway.
happy0148.gif
Analog lighting at its finest /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Paul,

it seems the real reason for your post is that you are complaining of dim instrument lights. Well, they shouldn't be even with the standard wattage lamps fitted. Check your connections and earths and (not sure what car you have) does it have a panel rheostat, if so turn it up?

Alec

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
piman said:
Hello Paul,

it seems the real reason for your post is that you are complaining of dim instrument lights. Well, they shouldn't be even with the standard wattage lamps fitted. Check your connections and earths and (not sure what car you have) does it have a panel rheostat, if so turn it up?

Alec
Hello Alec, My car is a 72 roadster in stock configuration. The rheostat is set at it's highest point. I even jumped it once to see if it was the problem, but it wasn't. The car was totally restored with the wiring harness being removed, checked, cleaned, (including the terminals), retaped with new blue tape and reinstalled. All the voltages seem to be reading the proper voltage. A new instrument voltage stabilizer was installed also. I've had this car for thirty years, the last fifteen in storage and it has always had very dim instrument lights. I put up with it when I was younger, but now the eyes aren't what they used to be. If I have to, even though I don't want to, I'll change the sockets to a more modern bulb. So far it looks like that's the route I'll have to go. PJ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Could change out the plastic windows in the guages that the light shines through.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
eh... they don't have the threaded base bulbs... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

though, I supposed it's possible they have the eared bases...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh wait... I take that back... they only have the threaded bases in "super white"... no green...

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Nunyas said:
eh... they don't have the threaded base bulbs... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

though, I supposed it's possible they have the eared bases...

Yes they have the eared bases,and a whole lot of other types too.

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
ecurie_ecosse said:
Have you considered LED'S Paul?

Try these guys, https://www.superbrightleds.com I think they might be able to supply what you need without changing bulbholders.

Thank you Stuart! Yes they do have the eared type bulb in a miniature LED. I only have to make sure the diameter of the base is the same. I will contact them tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
ecurie_ecosse said:
Have you considered LED'S Paul?

Try these guys, https://www.superbrightleds.com I think they might be able to supply what you need without changing bulbholders.

Thank you Stuart! Yes they do have the eared type bulb in a miniature LED. I only have to make sure the diameter of the base is the same. I will contact them tomorrow. Thanks to all for your help. PJ

After checking them out I found that they have them in white, red, blue, green and amber. I can't believe all the types of bulbs these people have.