• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Instrument Dial Rims

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
For the gauges, inside each metal rim that hold the round instrument glass in place, there is some black perished material that just crumbles away when the rim is removed from the glass.

I assume this was some sort of sealer, or something to stop the glass rattling?

What's the recommended stuff to replace this with, or is it not really necessary?

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
Victoria British sells o-rings that can be used to seal between the rim and glass. I suppose that is what was there originally although it is hard to tell from the crumbly black stuff that falls out. In any case, I got some o-rings and they seem to serve the purpose of sealing and keeping the glass from rattling.

Bryan

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Julian,

I found this artical that describes how to fabricate replacements. I may have found on the BCF, but here it is:

Title : Gauge Repair
Author : Scott Suhring
Here is a tech tip that I recently wrote for our club newsletter (when you're the editor, you tend to write a lot of articles) on this exact subject:

Anyone who has disassembled their dash gauges can appreciate the frustration of first trying to remove the chrome ring that holds the glass secure to the gauge and then finding the dried up remains of the rubber gasket (if that is what this material ever was). Well, certainly one of the parts distributors must have these, but when you look in their catalog or check the parts manual, low and behold they are not listed. The reason for this is that the gaskets came as part of the gauge, which was produced by Smiths/Jaeger. So what do you do?

I have tried various materials and have talked to others that have used everything from windshield glazing to using the gaskets that are available to seal the gauge to the dash, none of which provide the proper seal for the chrome rings. The solution I have devised is to make my own gaskets. To do this, you will need the following materials:
1. Permatex "The Right Stuff" gasket maker (part #29208)
2. Universal Pump Dispenser (this is a plastic syringe found in the glue section of your local hardware store)
3. An Exacto knife or any arts and crafts sharp cutting blade
4. Q-Tips
5. Pam cooking spray
6. Small screwdriver or dental pick
The Permatex gasket maker is a silicon-based material that cures to a flexible rubbery composition that is easy to work with and makes a great gasket. Here is what you do to make your gasket:
1. Clean out the inside of the gauge cover ring of any of the remains of the old gasket.
2. Cut off the tip of the syringe to the size opening that allows enough material to by pushed out to the thickness of the gasket you need to make.
3. Depending on the number of gasket you will be making, fill the syringe with the Permatex.
4. Spray the tip of the Q-tip with the Pam and wipe this on the inside of the ring, but do not saturate the surface.
5. Take the syringe and evenly apply the Permatex in the grove for the gasket to the height just below the inner lip of the ring. You will get some "waves" in the material and uneven application, but this is okay. Just be sure that it is a continuous bead of material that fills in the grove.
6. Let the Permatex cure for 24 hours.
7. Using the small screwdriver or the dental pick, work this under the gasket and pry up the gasket until it is released from the ring. There will be some spots that the Permatex will remain stuck in small bits and these can be removed by just scraping them off to clean up the surface.
8. Using the exacto blade, trim the gasket of any uneven areas or bulges. Don't be shy since the material is very pliable and cuts easily.
You will not have a perfect looking gasket, but this will absolutely provide you with a good seal and one that will remain flexible for the next time you need to disassemble the gauge.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks Bryan and Dave.

Looks like some experimentation is in order!

G

Take some rubber covered wire the same thickness as the o-ring. Wind it around the outside of the speedometer housing to make it nice and round. Snip it to fit snugly inside the groove for the missing o-ring. Trim one side back a few millimeters and use your fingertip to pull the other side over the wire(this part you may have to do before you wind) and fit one side into the other. Voila!

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Julian
I did what Bryan did. I replaced mine with o-rings. I went to an o-ring supplier and picked out suitably sizes ones. Cost was minimal and they perform as good as original.
Regards
Craig

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I like this idea! I will have a try /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nisonger sells "official" replacements -- and a set doesn't cost THAT much, all things considered. But, given the condition that virtually everyone finds them in, a materials upgrade seems like a good idea.

G

Moseso said:
Nisonger sells "official" replacements -- and a set doesn't cost THAT much, all things considered. But, given the condition that virtually everyone finds them in, a materials upgrade seems like a good idea.

"The TR6 bezel gaskets are 16.95 per set, the dashboard gaskets are $15.95 per set, please note that both prices are plus shipping. To order, please phone us weekdays between 8am & 5pm (EST) @ (914) 381-3600." Nisonger.com

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Stirkle said:
Moseso said:

"The TR6 bezel gaskets are 16.95 per set, the dashboard gaskets are $15.95 per set, please note that both prices are plus shipping. To order, please phone us weekdays between 8am & 5pm (EST) @ (914) 381-3600." Nisonger.com

What are the "bezel gaskets"? If the dash gaskets include all six gauge gaskets, then that price doesn't seem too bad, if a little rich.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I would assume the bezel gasket is the one under the gauge glass, the dash gasket is the one that goes between the gauge bezel and the dash.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
MGTF1250Dave said:
I would assume the bezel gasket is the one under the gauge glass, the dash gasket is the one that goes between the gauge bezel and the dash.

Of course, yes. So I would need both. Hmmmm.