• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series How much to pay? Photos of 1955 MG TF 1500

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
In an earlier thread, I was given some helpful pointers in looking at a 1955 MG TF 1500. I did have a chance to look at it closely today, and to take pictures.

The engine number matches the plate on the firewall. Mileage from the documentation seems correct at 69K. Same owner since at least the early 70's. I found and photographed problems in the wood pieces, some rust in metal below door posts. Doors open and shut okay, but the drivers door can be wiggled up and down and I think it will quickly get worse.

There is only a slight bit of damage to the right front fender, seems like it was scraped coming out of a garage or something. Rest of the metal is straight and rust free.

The best plan to my mind seems to be to tidy up and enjoy using as is. Would you take a look at the link below and let me know what would be a reasonable price to offer? Or would it be best to just leave this one alone?

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance.

1955 MG TF 1500 Photographs

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

The problem with the driver's door sagging is probably caused by the "B" pillar wood piece being split. The door check looks like it broken partly through it. The rotted section of sill is also on that side I beleive also. Replacing those bits of wood would be a big project, but there are some marine epoxy products available to repair wood rot. You might be able repair the wood or at least make it better than it is now with that.

Your plan to tidy it up and enjoy it seems like a good idea to me. Redoing the interior should make make it a nice 25 ft car.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Based on the Car Number, the original color was black and green was one of the interior option with black paint. So that may be the original paint and interior.

Country flag
That's not all bad, some wear, lots of patina.....I'd buy it... :smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I don't have a good feel for pricing, but the TF 1500 can go up to $30k for a super nice one to low thousands for a rough runner -- quite the range. I'd recommend spending some time on eBay looking at completed auctions, and also on Hemmings Motor News or similar looking at asking prices.

A TF 1500 is a really neat car. If you can live with their performance envelope and sizing then it would be a super fun car. Find a price you can live with, clean it up, and drive it.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I realize that I didn't answer your question. A lot depends on the market for these cars in your area. Here in Hawaii there is not much of a market for old British cars so they tend to go for less than on the continent.

The latest issue of the New England MGT Register, "The Sacred Octagon" list a '55 MG TF 1500 as a good,dependable driver as an excellant candidiate for restoration. Wood and metal in good condition, 78,000 miles for $18,500. The condition of the interior of the car your looking at may reduce the price a little. Questionalble mechanics may also reduce the price. On the plus side it looks like a complete car, one of only 3400.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It's very difficult to estimate the value of a T series car without a full inspection. There are many things that can change the price drastically. Interior is a simple fix, it just takes a lot of money to do it right. Wood framing can be a royal pain to repair or replace if it's bad. Tin work is a minor item compared to other issues. What does the engine sound like, what's the oil pressure, hot and cold? Is the transmission in good order, is it quiet? Engines and transmissions in these cars are very expensive to rebuild. I'm not trying to discourage you on buying a T series car, it's just that you shouldn't jump into buying one of these cars without a professional inspection if you are not knowledgeable enough to do it your self. It could save you a bundle of money and heart aches later. JMHO. PJ

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all the replies and your thoughts. I'll see how numbers shake out. I feel good about the mechanical condition of this MG as I do all my own maintenance work since the early 70's. However, I've never had a T series, or a car with structural pieces made of wood!

I'm a little concerned as to fit- if this is a driver, I'd like to be able to drive it comfortably. I'm 6 feet 2, weight 190 pounds, and size 12 feet. Seems a bit tight in there to me. The Healey is tight enough, the TR3 was positively spacious by comparison.

I sold the TR3 to clear out some garage space, then this came along- as we all learned in school, "nature abhors a vacuum".

If this doesn't work out for me, I'll gladly send contact info if somebody else has an interest. I'll make a decision in the next couple days.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
A car is worth what
somebody is willing
to pay for it

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
T-series cars are a tight fit for bigger folks (I'm 6'1" 200#, size 13EEEE shoes). The TF is the roomiest of them -- I test drove one once and could drive it, though it was tight. I didn't fit in a TC at all, no way I could drive it. Make sure you test drive it to see if you can comfortably drive it around.

If you fit and the numbers line up, it'll be a fun (if not quick) ride.

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
CZ_Dave said:
A car is worth what
somebody is willing
to pay for it

Not necessarily. I've bought a few cars that weren't "worth" what I paid. The excess amount was tuition for an unintentional educational experience. Hopefully I've graduated from that school, with honors.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fairview said:
tuition for an unintentional educational experience
I love that quote. You and I seem to have gone to the same school.
grin.gif

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
A 1500 TF is kind of cool but you'll be disappointed in it compared to your TR3. After looking at the pictures it looks ok but not really in collectible condition as is. The wood and the metal skin on the tub are a far bigger problem that you may think. The mechanicals you won't have any problem with. I'm curious as to what you can buy it for. I passed on one a yr. ago that had no rust or wood issues but was completely disassembled for $9 grand. I'm pretty sure you can find a nice one , though not show, in the high teens. If I were buying one the first thing I'd do is completely go through the engine as you'll never find another should yours throw a rod.

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
drooartz said:
Fairview said:
tuition for an unintentional educational experience
I love that quote. You and I seem to have gone to the same school.
grin.gif
As Dean of the College of Hard Knocks,

Both of you now are awarded with the

BS Degree

You determine what that means,
your smart enough now that you have graduated.

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
I woke up this morning with my mind made up. I'm going to pass on this TF. I should focus on my other projects now (like welding rocker panels in a Karmann Ghia convertible), and enjoy the empty garage space made by selling my Triumph. More importantly, I'm too big a guy to get comfortable in the thing.

It would make somebody a dandy little fun driver, but the timing (and size) isn't right for me. And the MG seems decent enough, but not pretty enough to buy just for a garage ornament.

If anybody is interested, send a private message and I can pass along the contact info.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If I weren't in the middle of this GT project, you'd've already heard from me! :frown:

CZ_Dave

Jedi Warrior
A man has to know his limitations. :yesnod:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
CZ_Dave said:
A man has to know his limitations. :yesnod:

And mine are legion when it comes to funding!