• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

high octane?

Gel

Hi,
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but all I require is a "yes" or "no"
Should I use high octane fuel??

OP
G

Gel

Okay, I was afraid of that.
I'm a beginner! I know nothing about compression ratios. All I can confirm is that it's a Jan. '73 car

Rob_Edwards

Jedi Hopeful
You should run the lowest octane that runs properly in YOUR car. For some people that may be low octane, for some it might be the highest. This late in the game, every car is different -- different amounts of wear, different states of tune, etc.

Many people believe that because high-power engines run high octane, high octane therefore makes high power. It's a myth. Octane (or more properly "octane equivalency rating" or "octane rating" is simply the resistance of the fuel to being ignited -- higher octane fuel is harder to burn. It actually contains fewer BTUs by volume than lower octane fuel, but the difference is probably negligible. In theory though you'll get slightly less power and fuel economy with a higher octane fuel than you need (other things equal).

So try some midgrade -- if that works without pinking and running on, use it. You could even try some low octane if you wish. If it works, use that. Using higher octane than you need does nothing but wastes your money....

HTH!

Steve_S

Yoda
Unfortunately it isn't a yes or no question. My recommendation is to run the lowest octane the car runs properly on. My cars require 92 octane to run their best. Other people have good luck with 89 or even 87. Try 89 next time you fill up. If it pings, loses fuel economy or doesn't run as well then go back to high octane. If it runs as well or better, try 87 and see what happens.

OP
G

Gel

Running on? Sometimes, but not always when I switch off my car doesn't die straight away? Could this be related?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Gel, in standard knick, the '73 runs a compression ratio of 8.8:1. Steve's suggestion is excellent. Try a bit of experimentation, and find which grade of fuel works for you. For instance, my stock '72 runs just fine on the 87 octane here in the States. My '65, which is built to a much higher stage of tuning, requires a minimum of our 94 octane, but prefers even higher.
Jeff

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Let me tell you what my experience has taught me: 93-octane is what my MG's like! My '79 that I've owned since brand new & that has only had the carb rebuilt once has never had anything else done to it - & its only had 93-octane.....so, figure 100,000+ miles with no major repairs since '79.

I'm going to pull the head this Fall just because - & I'll bet the valvetrain looks like new.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
My 78 runs fine on 87 and no better on 93 which I tried because one of us suggested it. Waste of money to use 93 unless you have a problem with 87. I have never found a problem with any of my cars that was helped by going to higher octane than the book recommended.

Guinn

Only reason I use 93 in my GT is that 93 has a longer shelf life, in case the car sits for awhile, I use 93 in the generator and ATV as well. Race gas can literally sit in a fuel cell or fuel jugs for a few years without going bad, so based on that, all I can tell you is if you might let the car sit awhile or it takes you a while to run through a tank of gas, the higher the octane the longer the shelf life. I had 87 gunk the carb up on the ATV in less than three months.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's intresting Hap, never heard that before. Something to keep in mind as winter approches for our northern folks.

Bugeye58

Yoda
It's just for that reason that when I put mine to bed for the winter it has a full tank of either 93 in it, or a mixture of 87 and leftover 110 leaded.
Jeff

Gearhead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
When I put my car away for the winter I always add a healthy dose of Sta-Bil fuel stabiliser use it all my mowers and have never had a problem with fuel related gumming problems try it yull like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif