• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB HELP! 72 MGB coil springs

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Fellows I need some info on the coil springs on my "B". I'm disassembling the front suspension for an overhaul. I have two questions. 1, What is the 1/3 dia. spacer under the spring for and what location in the pan is it to be placed on reassembly? It fell out when removing the spring from the pan and I haven't a clue as to it's placement. 2nd, What is the blue paint mark down the side of the springs for? It is in the same place on both springs. Haynes does not have the answer for either question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BCruzn

Jedi Hopeful
Paul, the spacer should just fall into the spring cup. As to the blue mark on the spring, It's a dealer marking, don't worry about it.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
The spacer will find its own postioning under the spring...as said, just put in in between the spring and pan and it will align with movement of the spring to where is should be in the gap between the low side of the spring. Put it in and spin the spring around a few times and it will line up just fine.

I have no idea why the springs are marked with that stripe too, but mine have moved as the car moves, so I am sure placement on them is of no consequence either.

Bruce

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I thought the stripes had something to do with loading of the spring. As the spring is compressed wouldn't this line start to deform? I'm no suspension guy and it's been a long time since I messed with any but I'm thinking it has something to do with that.
JC

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My uneducated guess would have the color of the stripe be related to the value of the spring ie; 300lb one color, 400lb another color, etc. Most springs are color coded so the user (if he is in on the system ) can select the "correct" stiffness of a spring without testing it. Bob

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, You just made my day! I checked to see if there is a stripe on the springs in my 79 and there is but it looks orange and on my 72 it's blue. The 72 spring is shorter so I guess it's possible that it might have something to do with the value of the spring.
The restoration is coming along fine. Just rebuilt the SUs with new kits. Not bad. Hope they work?? Have to rebuild the fuel pump. I think it died when I put the car to bed 15 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif