• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT MGB Ragtop help

William

Darth Vader
So, we finally got around to getting a new soft top frame for the B (a '71). We got a new one from Moss, the one without the header, and we simply unbolted the header and old top from the old broken frame and bolted it together. So far, so good.

We finally pulled it up (the new frames have lots of paint and are very stiff to move), and the header rail ends up well in front of the top of the winscreen frame! In other words it appears to be too long. We compared the new and old frames, and they are identical (except for the various fractures in the old one). there's only one set of holes to mount the frame to the body. I'm quite sure the screen hasn't leaned back.

Now, our broken frame had a couple of parts that would fold the wrong way, making it impossible to fold down-could it be that they need to go over center to attach? Does that even make sense? Any other ideas?

-Wm.

clyderedmond

I wish I could help you but I just don't know. I have the opposite problem - my top stops a bit short of the wind screen and I have to put all my body weight on it to close the clips. Maybe someone knows of an adjustment that can be made?

RickB

Yoda
Does it have straps, or webbing between the back top piece and the next one forward? To me it seems those straps limit the forward motion of the frame, no?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Each top is stretched over the frames to fit...is it possible you need to tighten up your top thus pulling the header back?

& the clamps on the header are adjustable.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
William,

I have found that those things I know how to do or can figure out, I do.. If not.. I farm it out...

To me, installing a new rag-top on to the frame and the car falls into the latter category..

I bought a used, although in good condition, top for my '66 B. After many hours of swearing, cursing, and finally tearing the d*(*)_ thing I gave up and took it to a shop...

IMHO... find a shop that has some experience in LBCs and take it to him... a few hundred bucks and you're done....

OP
W

William

Darth Vader
That's the thing-we didn't install a new top. The new frames don't come with header rails. Since we can't afford a new top (the vinyl part) and a new frame, we simply unbolted the old header rail (with top still attached) and bolted it onto the new frame.

This is why it's weird-even without the top attached at the back end, the frame is way too long-the header rail hits well in front of the top of the screen (by "in front of" I mean towards the front of the car, overlapping like a sun visor). So, it's not just a maladjusted clamp thing, but something else entirely.

Our suspicion is that the side members are folding the wrong way 'round. Our old broken top did this, the hinges would go over center and muck up the alignment of the top. We managed to get it folded back and under the tonneau cover (it seems to rest a little high there, too). I guess we'll have to dig the old top out of the garbage pile and have a look-the new one appears identical in structure.

On the plus side, once we'd gotten all the parts, the alternator replacement went smoothly, so we can drive again without that little red light nagging at us.

-Wm.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
clyderedmond said:
I wish I could help you but I just don't know. I have the opposite problem - my top stops a bit short of the wind screen and I have to put all my body weight on it to close the clips. Maybe someone knows of an adjustment that can be made?

Have you tried tightening the center bar on the windscreen? This should pull the screen back so the top will hook to it. I had the same problem, and once I brought the glass back about a half inch, the top hooked up no problem.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
William,

PIK-CHA's PIK-CHA's...

If you can, take a few pictures (pik-cha's) and post. It might prompt a long lost memory from someone out here that has 'been there, done that'...

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
clyderedmond said:
Thanks Ron,
Any chance of cracking the glass?????
-Mike

Like everything, go slowly. Mine didn't crack, but then I only needed to pull it down a bit.