• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater Core Replacement

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I finally had a chance to get the heater cores I took to the radiator shop back. Now the question becomes ...

Is it possible to change the heater core without removing the whole heater box assembly in a MK III Sprite? The screws that hold it in look as if they've never been out of the car, and look corroded by both battery acid and anti-freeze.

As a side note, I took two cores in about a month ago, then started working 6/10s and couldn't get them 'til yesterday. When I went in, he gave me THREE back. The total charge was $00.00.

nomad

Yoda
Well, the repair price was definetly right, Bill!
Yes, it is possible to change out the core with the box intact. You will probably need to replace some of the packing around the core but other than that it should slip right in.

Kurt.

RickB

Yoda
Speaking of packing, take a look at the seal around/under the box while you're in there.
Also what's supposed to be used for packing? Where does it go? I don't believe mine had any when I took it apart a few years ago so it still doesn't.

It's easier to get to those back screws by the way if you take the battery out.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
That sticky-back foam strips from the hardware store are pretty close to what was there originally and work just fine, about 1/4" thick.
BillM

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
On my 65 the only area where there was a foam style gasket was between the bottom of the box and the air duct into the car. The heater box itself was empty except for the heater core. I think it would be worth removing the box to make sure that the gasket is good as you migh be drawing exhaust and other fumes into the pasenger compartment if not.

It would also help you decide if you need to freshen up the area from corrosion from battery acid etc. so the metal does not totally detoriate,this was one of the nastier areas on my car.

Mark

nomad

Yoda
Billm said:
That sticky-back foam strips from the hardware store are pretty close to what was there originally and work just fine, about 1/4" thick.
BillM

Thats what I used, Bill.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I thought I was going to get a 2 day weekend. I was planning to pull the dizzy and do the heater core, but I have to work 10 hours Saturday. Everything will be put off for at least 2 more weeks now, as Andrew is coming home for Spring Break on the 10th. .. I'll get this car off the jack stands eventually.

OP
Pythias

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Andrew is gone and I finally had a chance to work on the car today. I found out that it IS possible to change the heater core without taking the whole assembly out, but it needs to come out from the rear. The front won't allow clearance because of the heater control valve. The battery has to be removed to do it from the back. The front and back DO have lips that go under the side pieces, but the box itself if thin metal and everything bends easily.

Next up is to pull the dizzy and get it sent off to Jeff.