• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cheap options for a heater core?

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
I've got a leak under pressure in the heater core in my '66 Sprite. I plan on removing it from the car and figuring out where the leak is to see if I can solder it.

Do any of you know off the top of your head if there are some generic heater cores you can plumb into the metal box and just surround with insulation or something? Some 20 dollar unit for a common car like a '79 Chevy or whatever?

I can run rubber hose to the outlets on the metal box from the inlet and outlet of said cheap heater core. I just want something cheap I can pick up at the local parts store. I might run in just to see if they have anything anyway.

I was just curious since I don't feel like paying 90 dollars for a replacement and I rarely use heat other than right now when it's 30 degrees F in the morning on my way to work.

Thanks for any leads!

any good radiator shop can repar that for you as good as new...for what? maybe 50 bux..

m

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
Well I was thinking of doing it myself, but that means warmer weather where I can take the time to submerge it in a bucket of water and put some air pressure into it :wink: Our last radiator shop closed last year, so I'd have to drive it 40 miles south of here to be worked on.

In the meantime, I was just curious if anyone happened to know of a suitable workaround. Just something handy to know for future reference. Not many (american) cars use the longitudinal heater core design though.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
4460734443_545b2c68a4.jpg

This is what mine looks like. Yours might be the later style one they used for the 1275 engines.

nomad

Yoda
Luke: Good to see you kept your healey. Someone with the name of Healey needs to own one!!. Anyway, check out e-bay I think there is one on there right now. If not they come up regularly. I might have one, I'll check tomorrow.
Kurt.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Luke_Healey said:
Our last radiator shop closed last year, so I'd have to drive it 40 miles south of here to be worked on.

They moved to Des Moines but they will pick up the radiator at your house and drop it back off when they are done for free because they are picking them up all around Ames once a week anyways.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
I'll have to call them to ask what they'd charge to seal it. Probably more than I'm wanting to pay them. I'm going to pull it this weekend and see if I can force the leak and get it soldered.

OP
Luke_Healey

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
I fixed (fingers crossed) this tonight. I pulled the heater core and blew air with my mouth into it while it was submerged in water. The tiniest pinhole was letting tiny bubbles out of the joint where a rod met the end cap.. I brash brushed it and heated it up with a torch and soldered it.

In my heating, I melted the solder on the end cap and caused a bigger leak. So then I got after that with more solder. Now there's not any leaks I could produce with human lung power. I think I've got about 5psi in me on a good day when my cheeks can take it :wink:

So it's reinstalled and I'll be driving to work tomorrow morning hoping for some heat on my feet.