• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Headlight Switch

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Does anyone know how to re-assemble a headlight switch for a '65 Sprite? I know I can just buy a new one, but I'd like to know if I can even salvage the one I have.

I accidently pulled the rear box part of the switch away from the actual switch lever part that's in the cockpit. The switch lever has two little copper pieces on springs that fits into the box part. I think the trick is to get these copper parts back into the right position. Anyone know how to do it, or am I stuck buying a new switch?

Joel

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Matthew E. Herd

Jedi Warrior
I've messed with mine, but it's cracked in the wrong place, and wouldn't stay re-assembled. As I recall, there was a plastic piece that the springs fit over, then a little metal slider that this pressed against. However, it's been awhile. I ended up buying a new one, but if it hadn't cracked (irreparably) I would have been able to repair it.

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Mine hasn't cracked yet, but I can't figure out how to get those little spring/slider mechanisms to fit back into the "box" part where the wires connect.

I'll probably just buy a new one, but at $35...ouch

Joel

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
the switch can be reassembled, but if you took it apart to clean it and it has indications of pitting or burn marks, then you're better off replacing since it won't be long before it fails again. also if the switch is mushy (meaning it doesn't have a sharp snap to it when you switch it), its worn and will need replacement. i've rebuilt many of these switches. the headlight switch sees a lot of current and personnally i don't think these switches were meant to handle the long-term current demands. it may be a good investment to spend the $35.

OP
D

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
Actually, it still has that sharp snap to it (at least before I accidentally took it apart). Everything appeared to be fairly shiny inside, it didn't look worn. I just accidentally pulled the "black box" part of it off when I was fumbling around under the dash with some other wiring.

Would you be so kind as to tell me how to re-assemble it?

Joel

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
here is a picture of a switch i had in the junk pile. the switch may not be a headlight switch but the internals are similar. this switch overheated so some of the internal parts are damaged. basically the switch has one or two pendulum-type paddles that have a copper pad attached. a headlight switch may have two paddles. this swithc has only one. as the switch is toggled, the paddles swing from one position to another and make contact with the stationary terminal posts mounted to the switch body. small springs are used to attach the paddle to the upper switch mounting plate. the switch body (black plastic) has a tab on one side that keys the switch cover to the right side, so you can't put the switch together backwards. make sure the copper pad mounted to the paddle is tight and secured to the paddle. in this switch, the pad is loose from age and heat damage. this switch actually still works, but i would never re-install it. i have attached a pic (hopefully i do this right)

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
since i have not mastered attachments 101, i will provide additional info to hopefully help you. depending on how much of the switch came apart, you should have at least one plastic paddle that has a copper pad attached to one end. for switches with more contacts (possibly like a headlight switch), you may have two paddles but the assembly is generally the same. the paddle(s) have a point or extention at one end and a copper pad on the other. the extention rests in a grove in the switch cover plate where the switch toggle lever comes through. when the switch is toggled, the paddle(s) will swing from one position to the next. each paddle is attached to the switch cover plate using two springs (per paddle) the springs attach on each side of the paddle and are attached to the switch cover plate on the t-hooks. the springs keep the paddle in place and help swing the paddle when the switch is toggled. if you have two paddles, then the switch lever( the part that you would normaly toggle when the switch is installed) sits between the two paddles. as the switch is toggled, the individual paddles will swing from one contact to the other. all of the internal parts are attached to the switch cover. the switch body has stationary terminals that have no moving function. once the switch paddle(s) are installed on the cover plate, the cover plate can be installed in the switch body noting that the black switch body has a key to prevent the cover plate from going on backwards. sorry i haven't mastered uploading. if anyone can help with that please do.