• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Headlight size

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi All .
posting this here as I’m looking for some help with an Austin Healey project .
Im building a 1962 Healey 3000 Mk 2 Tri carb rally recreation .
It will have reproduction high level rally lights mounted on the front shroud.
I have the light pods from Dave Hardwick in the UK but I need 5 3/4” headlight buckets and all the other associated bits n pieces to create the fog/spot lights .
the pods have an OD of 7 1/4” and the hole for the light bucket is 5”
Do any of the Triumph cars have headlights of this size ?
The main factor is the outer diameter of the chrome trim ring so it blends properly with the light pod .
tks

Attachments

• 163F898A-A468-4AD6-AD36-6031B62E5A73.jpeg
    163F898A-A468-4AD6-AD36-6031B62E5A73.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 4F6AE340-CC99-44AA-B773-2AB14042CF7A.jpeg
    4F6AE340-CC99-44AA-B773-2AB14042CF7A.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 110
OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have been in contact with Holden in the UK .
They can supply everything except the chrome trim rings , so I’m searching other makes to find an alternate solution .
I don’t want to get parts from Holden and find that trim rings from another source won’t fit .
my main question is the OD of the trim ring where it meets the body I need it to be 7 1/4”

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If you are asking about Moss part # 560-210, it's tapered from a max of 8 1/4" OD at the bucket tapering forward around the lens to 71/4

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just trying to think a bit different.
would a British bike headlight ring suit ?

Sorry seems the larger dia. Is 6”

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Motorcycles use the smaller stuff lights and such; probably not get anything to hold it in place, but maybe standard regular tr3 stuff would work for mounting to body.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have emailed an old British bike supplier to see if they can help but I will check the TR3 stuff out .
I was under the impression that TR5/6 had 5 3/4” headlights .
Does anyone know which British cars used 5 3/4” headlights ?

Last edited:
OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The headlight unit and bucket etc isn’t the problem , Various suppliers have them the chrome trim ring is the issue .
I need to find a trim ring that will fit with whichever bucket etc I use and that has a 7 1/4” diameter back edge where it will meet the light pod so it looks correct .

Attachments

• 1BF9A1A2-4724-484F-B538-D5A7800345F6.jpeg
    1BF9A1A2-4724-484F-B538-D5A7800345F6.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 97
OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There seems to be some misunderstanding about what Im looking for .
see attached , chrome trim ring , this is what I need but the edge to the left of the screw holes needs to be 7 1/4” diameter to fit flush with the edge of my light pod . The hole that the headlight unit fits through needs to accept a 5 3/4” headlight unit .
I can get this from Holden in the UK and also other suppliers elsewhere . Holden don’t have the finishing trim rings .

Attachments

• 9D086AF9-99DA-4F77-BD7A-1B8640875465.jpeg
    9D086AF9-99DA-4F77-BD7A-1B8640875465.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I understand exactly what you are looking for. You want headlamp doors for a 5 3/4 headlamp unit with a rear OD of 7 1/4 to match your body work housings. I can't think of any Triumphs that used 5 3/4" headlamps that didn't incorporate the headlamp doors into the grill work or had them as combined units for both the inner and outer headlamps. I have been running different cars through my brain and everyone that I come up with that used the 5 3/4" headlamps either had headlamp doors that were siamesed together or if separate units, they were contoured to the cars and supplied by the vehicle manufacturer so no out of the Lucas catalog headlamp door to fit the headlamp that I thought of off hand. So I have even gotten out my collection of old Lucas catalogs and started going through them trying to chase down a specific application that might just scratch that itch for you. So far, no such luck.

I still have a couple of smaller (fewer model ears covered) old Lucas catalogs to go through but at this point, I'm not holding much hope of getting a lead from them. Even though my father had a couple of big Healeys when I was a kid, not really spent any time chasing down stuff like this for them before. In the Triumph end of the world we have outfits like Revington TR and Racestorations in the UK along with a smattering of serious performance parts folks in the US. I would have to think there are probably similar outfits servicing the needs of the Healey end of the world that might be able to help you out.

In any event, I'll get through those other old Lucas catalogs in the next few days and report back on the results.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Were there ever any bezels that size or profile.

what governed the size of the opening in your new pods you made ?

the picture I posted of the red rally Healey obviously smaller lights and most likely the 5 3/4 but 7 1/4 opening ?
Pain in ar@e but perhaps make the pods to a known and available light fitting and bezel ?

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The pods are copies of the originals as used on the Healey rally cars . The opening is NOT 7 1/4” the OD of the pod is 7 1/4” so the back edge of the trim ring where it meets the pod needs to be 7 1/4” so it fits and flows properly to look correct .

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
There is a split ring type that screws together at the bottom on the outside; you might be able to do something with that--- They have been around for a long time. Maybe the 1950ies but the 1960ies I would bet.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just for point of reference see attached .
Its a pic of the replica rally pods from Dave Hardwick with a 7” standard Healey headlight bucket and trim ring perched on top .
So that’s my dilemma .
I checked into the low light Morris option but they appear to have inset lights so minimal trim rings , I need to have trim rings like the 7” Healey ones but in 5 3/4” light unit size .
I do have a some old 7” ones so I may take them to my metal guy to practice on to see if he can cut and reduce them by rolling them on the English wheel .

Attachments

• 32673003-EC5F-4214-83ED-E3B4FD69A2F6.jpeg
    32673003-EC5F-4214-83ED-E3B4FD69A2F6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No joy in Mudville, there is nothing in any of the Lucas catalogs that helps. In fact, for the 5 3/4" headlamp units, Lucas shows no headlamp doors in any application. This says to me that for the limited number of quad lamp set ups on British cars the headlamp doors were either supplied through the car manufacturer as singles or as dual lamp units or made as part of the grille. I was hoping to at least point you in some direction to search.

At this point, you have just stated what my suggestion would be of going to a panel beater and seeing if they could fabricate something up for you. Best of luck going forward on your project, I'm confident that it will look rather sharp when completed.

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tks for looking , you can follow progress on my project using the link above .

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So the word from Holden in the UK is that I’m looking for Lucas 552822 and they are “rare as hens teeth” .
It is a good number and I can find reference to it on Google . Its a pinch ring type trim ring but it appears at the moment that it maybe unavailable .
The search continues………