• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sizes of Headlight Bucket Recess

BG 62AH

Country flag
Guys,

I was hoping to ask for measurements and advice on the sizes of the outer diameter of the headlight bucket recess along the front shroud and fender for a later year car (like a BJ7 or BJ8). As part of my restoration, I need to slightly reform these outer edges on my car, and I would like to get the positioning and size correct.

I have seen cars with recesses set up like the on in this picture, and others where the outer edge of the headlight trim ring is basically just about flush with the outer edge of the recess along the fender and shroud edge.

I truly appreciate any help or advice, thank you.

-- Bill

Attachments

• headlight bucket recess.jpg
    headlight bucket recess.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 114

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Anderson & Moment page 163 shows a BJ8

AMRGPage163.jpg

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Thank you very much Big Green. I appreciate your checking on this.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Guys,

I was hoping to ask for measurements and advice on the sizes of the outer diameter of the headlight bucket recess along the front shroud and fender for a later year car (like a BJ7 or BJ8). As part of my restoration, I need to slightly reform these outer edges on my car, and I would like to get the positioning and size correct.

I have seen cars with recesses set up like the on in this picture, and others where the outer edge of the headlight trim ring is basically just about flush with the outer edge of the recess along the fender and shroud edge.

I truly appreciate any help or advice, thank you.

-- Bill
I believe there is different styles/sizes for the rim. Are the rims for the 100 the same profile for the 3000's or are they more rounded like the one shown?

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Not sure if there is more that one rim size or not. Mine were ordered right out of the Moss Catalog. P/N 164-080, which seems to fit BN7 thru BJ8. I did not notice anything in the catalog about a different size rim, although this is possible.
Quality and fitment to actual headlight bucket seems good, so I was planning to tailor my fender and shroud to match it. The picture that I included above was taken at car show that I was at this summer. The car pictured appeared to be a fresh professional restoration, and absolutely beautify. Everything on the car looked perfectly correct, and of course it is a BJ8. I have seen other beautifully restored later year cars, with the headlight rim fitted much closer to flush with the outside edge of the fender/shroud. Hence my question. A ruler measurement on the width form the outer fender edge to the outer edge of the shroud would be a great help.
I appreciate any thoughts that you have on it.

Thank you.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Not sure if there is more that one rim size or not. Mine were ordered right out of the Moss Catalog. P/N 164-080, which seems to fit BN7 thru BJ8. I did not notice anything in the catalog about a different size rim, although this is possible.
Quality and fitment to actual headlight bucket seems good, so I was planning to tailor my fender and shroud to match it. The picture that I included above was taken at car show that I was at this summer. The car pictured appeared to be a fresh professional restoration, and absolutely beautify. Everything on the car looked perfectly correct, and of course it is a BJ8. I have seen other beautifully restored later year cars, with the headlight rim fitted much closer to flush with the outside edge of the fender/shroud. Hence my question. A ruler measurement on the width form the outer fender edge to the outer edge of the shroud would be a great help.
I appreciate any thoughts that you have on it.

Thank you.
Bill, Can you give us a "side view" and a "3/4 view" of the rim that's on your Healey.

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Patrick,

At this time I can't. I have both front wings off of the car doing some work to them and it would take some assembly to get them back on.

I do thank you for your help.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Bill
My opinion is that rubber supplied have few mm less than original- when my preparation are at the end this is the gap that appared to me
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...MayJune2011endMayJune2013#5796995951562000642
But solution for me was easy to do-I have build two simple rig of electrical wire 2,5/3mm diam -connection can be covered by black self restrict sheath
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...MayJune2011endMayJune2013#5796993826176867506
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...MayJune2011endMayJune2013#5796995099031777794
https://picasaweb.google.com/112770...MayJune2011endMayJune2013#5797291666550862866
NOT perfect but a lot of the gap disappear when completely finished
Cheers

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
This is a picture from one of the aluminum prototypes

DSC_8198_zpsehkekywr_1.jpg

Production started with one of the AHX cars, this is number 11

DSC_8196_zpsrx9z3uda.jpg

And from further away

DSC_8194_zps3rgndtie.jpg

This is a picture from an original Cream coloured car

DSC_8187_zpsa6mmsbjw.jpg

Two times a 100-6

DSC_8200_zpskjd5t6wz.jpg

DSC_8199_zpsx78peua1.jpg

Three times from 3000, BJ7 and early BJ8

DSC_8192_zpscj3dfw2n.jpg

DSC_8191_zpsvnjkyzz0.jpg

DSC_8186_zpsnh4pjwzq.jpg

My idea from this is, on BJ7 and BJ8 there should not be more than a very little recess