• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Flushing the coolant.

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
Hey guys, I want to flush the coolant. My manual says to open the drain in the radiator. No brainer there, i can see it at the bottom of the radiator. It also says to open the engine block drain. It shows a picture of what looks like the same kind of drain valve thats on the radiator but I can't find it. Where is it? or could it have been replaced with a a big bolt ( plug) ?

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
OK, on the psngr side there's what looks like a plug. It's on the lower side of the engine about 2 inches from where the dipstick goes into the engine. Directly below the oil filter mount. Could that be the coolant drain plug???

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
NO! it is up under the exhaust manifold and it should look like the one on the bottom of the radiator.--Keoke-- :laugh:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It might be safest to unscrew it from the block . They freeze up and trying to open them with the handle it will break off and they be pricey--Keoke

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Donny, Keoke is correct in that the drain for the block is on the drivers side under the exhaust manifold. Mine was a simple ball cock apparatus that when operated allowed water to drain from the block. To correctly drain a Healey you need to first drain the radiator, then remove the thermostat housing and all and then open the drain as described above also open the heater valve to allow coolant to escape from the heater radiator under the dash. When completely drained stick a hose with slow water pressure into the thermostat housing opening and allow to flow through the heater core and out the block. Once clear water appears close the engine block drain. Refill the engine block with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water all the way to the top of the thermostat housing. Now, flush the radiator with clean tap water until clear, then refill with 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze until it overflows. Now start the engine and allow to heat up keeping an eye on the water temp gauge. After cooling back down check the radiator again and topoff if necessary. Restart the engine and check for any leaks, it's okay to close the heater valve now and you should be ready for another season of driving.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Be real careful with the heater valve also. Sometimes they are already partially broken. You can break a handle in a hot minute if you force it. Just like the one Keoke's talking about under the exhaust manifold. They are quite stylish, yet expensive. They will still close with out the handle but it's an ugly hassle you can do without. Mr. learn by doing --elrey

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
Thanks fellas, I got the block drained-no problems w/the little valve. Same W/ the radiator. I'll have to look for that heater valve under the dash. Looks like I got some time to kill while I order a new elbow and studs cause they are in bad shape.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
No, the heater valve is on the engine on the oil filter side. The block tap is under the exhaust manifold on the carb. side. --elrey

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
You lost me. I got the one under the radiator and the one under the manifold. What exactly is it that I'm missing.the heater valve? where exactly.and does it have the same kind of valve as the other two?

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Much like the others, located where the heater hose comes out of the side of the motor. Yours may have been replaced with a nipple due to the fact that they break and are expensive to replace as Keoke observed. --elrey

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
I found it.when I turn it will it drain directly out of there or will that just allow it to drain into the block and out the valve by the manifold ?

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
If it is open and the block tap is open the coolant should drain out the block tap. This assumes that you have the heater loop connected. --elrey

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Was there a hose connected to the fancy valve on the oil filter side of your motor? --elrey

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Is there a tube leaving the radiator hose that goes between the valve cover and the carbs. to a hose emanating from the firewall ? --elrey

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Guys

For you chaps with broken tap handles on the drain valves, you can get replacement handles, 'tis just a matter of drilling and taping and intalling the new one.
I also learn by experience Elrey !