• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Speaking of Flushing -- MGA

ronzet

Jedi Knight
So, OK, I have finally paid the price for cutting corners during a complete engine rebuild on my MGA..

I have pulled my radiator and having it flushed or re-cored.

How can I flush the block out before I re-install the radiator since much of the junk that WAS in the old radiator is now happily floating around inside the block ready to replug the rebuild/flushed radiator???

Thanks,

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Take a hose and flush thru the waterpump and upper hose. One way for a while and then the other. Use a drain tray to catch coolant. After thinned enough can let drain on ground. If you rebuilt the engine and have not installed a new waterpump and thermostat, use the openings for the flush. These too should be changed on rebuild. Flush the heater core very carefully by using the hoses. Use low pressure as, core will be in the same shape as the radiator and excessive pressure will surely show the weaks spots. If the core/welch/freeze plugs have not been installed, check them for corrosion and replace. Flush good with them removed.

burgundyben

Jedi Hopeful
I flushed the engine on my Healey for hours by running a hose through it until I got clear water comine out, likewise the rad, I did it when I fitted a kenlowe fan.

Some time later, when a big end gave up, I did a full engine rebuild, at the time I stood the bare block on end, with the core (core/welch/freeze) plugs out, I had the hole on the back of the block facing down over the edge of a bench in the garden, I ran the hose in the water pump aperture at the top and 'wiggled' a welding rod into the water ways to dislodge the accumilated crud. Despite the earlier flushing there was masses and masses of stuff came out.

Then she ran 10 degs cooler...

I reckon flushing the bare block, one end, agitating the crud is the only way, flushing with the head on is just not effective.

IMHO
HTH

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And the other way is to have the block and head tanked when you rebuild the engine. I know not an option some times but is the real answer.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Jack,

Thanks for the advice. I did do a complete rebore and hot tank when I rebuilt... but, as I relucatntly admitted, did not flush the old radiator so all of the stuff that was settled and or broken loose in the radiator found its way into the block and the head....

The radiator is being re-cored as we speak... The old radiator was 60% blocked per the radiator shop.....no freaking wonder it ran HOT, HOT, HOT...

As my late father ALWAYS stressed...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If you don't have time to do it right, you will ALWAYS have time to do it over... and it will cost you.. [/QUOTE]

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Larry,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] If you rebuilt the engine and have not installed a new waterpump and thermostat, use the openings for the flush. These too should be changed on rebuild[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the comment and the advice. These were all replaced in the rebuild....

After checking for any warping on my head (Not mine, the cars, although???) (per another thread) I will reinstall the head and follow your advice for the flushing......

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I rebuild engines, I haul them over to the car wash and power wash them. Gets old stuff out and pulls old paint from blocks. Do the same with heads. I guess I should get a power washer and do it at home, but they get the aftermath in their drains and not on my driveway. Radiators and heater cores I leave to the rad guys. You bet they run 10 deg. cooler after a good bath.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
LarryK said:
When I rebuild engines, I haul them over to the car wash and power wash them. Gets old stuff out and pulls old paint from blocks. Do the same with heads. I guess I should get a power washer and do it at home, but they get the aftermath in their drains and not on my driveway. Radiators and heater cores I leave to the rad guys. You bet they run 10 deg. cooler after a good bath.

I wish guys like you would get a power washer at home, too! I am usually the poor slob who goes to the car wash after some jerk like you fills the system of recycled water at the car wash with grease and oil, which ends up all over my car, smearing the window and staining the plastic. That is why they have those signs at car washes prohibiting engine cleaning or pickup truck bed cleaning. In some places, there is a hefty fine for such activity.

Just a word to the wise...and a pet peeve that some may not be so wise about.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Recycled water on your car.

Gesh, knew there was a reason not to use those places. That's as bad as washing in a tidel pool.

Where does the road salt go in the winter? On your car?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
ronzet said:
As my late father ALWAYS stressed...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]If you don't have time to do it right, you will ALWAYS have time to do it over... and it will cost you..
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it is really tempting at times to just get it done and back on the road...

I'm at a point where I just want to paint over the grease. I won't, but man it is tempting at times.....

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
tdskip,

I have experienced a great deal of trouble, spent some extra cash, and perhaps caused some damage to my A's engine because I gave in to the temptation to 'get it on the road'....

I am too old not to know better....Ah well, onward and upward.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry to hear hear it Ron.

I actually pulled my radiator and had it re-cored - I'm usually good on the mechanical side - but I hate body and paint work...

I went and got my electricals refreshed as well.

MGAstarterandgenerator003.jpg

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
tdskip,

OOOOO, pretty. Will look great when you pop the bonnet... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

I will be picking up my freshly re-cored radiator on Friday and install it this weekend, along with a new head gasket.

While I was ordering parts anyway, I also purchased a radiator shroud for the A. Let's see, clean radiator, shroud, anti-freeze/coolant, flushed block and head, AND a dose of Wetter Water... I will have an air conditioner.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif