• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Speaking of Webers - TR4 application question

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Because I have way too much time on my hands and am currently frustrated in my attempts to buy a surrey top setup, I am contemplating buying a set of used Weber 40DCOEs for my TR4.

So a couple of questions: ebay UK is chock full of used weber carbs. Aside from the normal risks are weber carbs relatively interchangeable, or should I stay away from buying used parts? Basically is a 40DCOE carb a 40DCOE carb or is it more complicated? I know about the various jets etc so I'm more concerned about the carb body.

Also, from TeriAnn's excellent reference I see that she used a TWM manifold setup, now gone over to Pierce Manifolds I think. Basically what manifold vendors are out there (Cannon/TWM/?) and do people have favorites? From my beginners perspective I like the TWM casting because it looks like it has a stouter throttle linkage setup.

As I said, too much time on my hands. If Webers are a BIG mistake, feel free to knock me upside the head.

Randy

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The body of the carbs are very the same but there are somtimes differences in the number of the progression holes.
Standard is 2 holes, some does have 3.

Other difference is that the idle speed on each carb can be adjusted on more modern webers for each barrel.

The rest should be the same.

Cheers
Chris

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
Whack!!
Jeff
[/QUOTE]
Hey, I felt that - but I still think I want those webers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]
The body of the carbs are very the same but there are somtimes differences in the number of the progression holes.
Standard is 2 holes, some does have 3.
[/QUOTE]

Vielen Dank Chris - that is all the German I know.. Love your videos by the way, I wish I could use my overdrive the way you do.

On the issue with progression holes, can you tell the difference in carbs from the serial number or something? I haven't found a good web resource yet explaining the details of specific weber model numbers.

Thanks again,
Randy

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Randy,

your German is very nice, learn to order a Bratwurst and you would never starv if you visit Germany ;-)

As far I know are the 3 progression holes an issue of the more modern types. My Weber manual only contain informations 'till end of the seventies.
They told me that the 3 progression holes came up because the Webers had some trouble with handing over from idle speed to the main jet action.

I can send you two pdf-files with informations I digged out on the web.

Cheers
Chris

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Chris -

I actually also know 'bier und bratwurst bitte' so maybe I'm not as bad as I thought!

I'd very much appreciate the pdf files if you can send them - I will pm you my email details.

Cheers,
Randy

PeterK

Yoda
If you have too much time on your hands, then setting up and tuning webers should take care of that. From what I've heard, you will use much more fuel than SUs and, for street use, realize no more usable HP. But they look really cool, and I also covet them for my 4A. TeriAnn is a great resource for tuning. Keep in mind the cost of the parts you will need to tune.

Additionally, to setup webers properly on your 4, you will need a non-vacuum advance (i.e. Mallory) distributor, a hotter cam, new lifters, etc., and a better flowing exhaust. A little head work wouldn't hurt either. And you will still be slower 0-60 than nearly any small vehicle produced today.

OTOH, it won't hurt your resale value (much) unless you are going for concours (then very much.)

A nice surrey will add a lot of resale value, will not make you go any faster, will keep some of the wind out of your face, and be coveted by all that don't have one. I have a complete surrey "kit" original except that my backlight is fiberglass. Still looking for an aluminum replacement backlight for mine although the fiberglass backlight is near perfect copy of the original - not holding my breath on finding an aluminum one. Recently there was a complete surrey (nice condition) sold on ebay for $4400 including hard and soft (surrey) tops!

So it all depends on your intended use of your 4 and how much $$ you want to sink into it. I favor a fast road engine, but my SUs are fine for now. But I also have begun to "collect" the necessary bits for a future Weber conversion too (Canon manifolds and new linkage, Mallory dual-point, TT headers, reworked head.) Still I'll probably stick the the SUs.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Where's that hammer?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer.gif

Have you done anything else to the engine to improve performance?? If not, then there isn't a whole lot to be gained by installing the Webers...other then they look real cool. You'd be better served by spending your money milling the head to increase the compression ratio and installing a performance camshaft. The original SU or Stromberg carbs are quite capable of handling a considerable incease in HP.

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Art, Peter-

I fully admit to be hooked on the 'looking cool' part! I'm slowly stocking up parts for when I eventually pull the engine and perhaps will get serious on performance - my engine is stock right now. This is just something that I've been pondering over, especially watching ebay over here. A pair of Webers can be had for about $200-$300, which seems like a pretty good opportunity. And I'm trying to fast forward to when I actually pull up at a car show or club meet and pop the hood to show off.

I've been thinking also of other mild upgrades (at least I think they'd be an upgrade) - namely a TR4a exhaust and SU intake setup. I'd like to get a PCV in place anyway and the 4a would do that. But so far all I've seen are rebuilt units and for the money just for the bolt on pieces the weber may be cheaper.

I am also actively in the hunt for the surrey top - I haven't given up but I've reset expections on what it will cost. I was tracking the $4400 one that sold, and I won't be spending that much though! If I do find one, I won't be telling anyone how much it cost, especially my wife..

Randy

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
To be fair....there were lot's of cars fitted with Weber carbs from factory and they didn't had more fuel consumption than a SU car.

The consumption is determined by what you are going for...max power or torgue.

With large chokes, big acceleration jets they they will need fuel.

Small chokes lower the max power output but will save fuel.

On the good side for Webers...

- reliable
- great sound

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR4nut said:
I've been thinking also of other mild upgrades (at least I think they'd be an upgrade) - namely a TR4a exhaust and SU intake setup. I'd like to get a PCV in place anyway and the 4a would do that. But so far all I've seen are rebuilt units and for the money just for the bolt on pieces the weber may be cheaper.

I would advice you to use a Phoenix exhaust system. I have installed it last year and it powered up the car.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
I have the stuff laying around and am tempted to do the same thing, but my car runs so well now that I am afraid I will only make it run worse. I have a friend with a morgan super sport,it came with this set up. I dont know how fast it really is but when I put foot in it, it goes RIGHT NOW. Thats why I keep thinking about it for my car. I also have a little 1958 Alfa Veloce that came with dual webers on a 1290cc DOHC engine,..nothing until about 3500 rpms, then vroom.. till about 5500 rpms then VAROOOM. A great sound from the webers..
By the way,do you guys check the prices of this stuff new....if you want it..dont wait. I keep my old cataloges for years,and kick myself for waiting to buy.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Randy,

It sounds like you have your heart set on installing Webers and I wouldn't want to discourage you in any way. In fact, there seem to be more suppliers for Weber parts there in England than here in the U.S.

I suggest you start by getting a book or two on Webers, to become more familiar with their operation and installation, before making your final decision. In fact, a Haynes Techbook Weber Carb Manual I've got also covers SU & ZS carbs, so is a great reference for most any carb likely to end up on a TR4.

Once you have a book or two, you'll find that 42DCOE "Series 8" were what was specified for TR4 back in the day. The reason this size was chosen by the factory for their racing program initially was simple, they were cheap. They also happened to be a good choice of size. The reason they were cheap is that a large auto maker in Italy ordered a huge lot for a production run, then cancelled their order after Weber had already made most of them up. Weber had a fire sale and a lot were installed on the TR 4 cyl. motor. The books also list the "starting point" for venturi and jetting setup on the TR 4 cyl.

42DCOE are no longer made. Haven't been for 10 or more years, I would guess. They were more limited in terms of parts to begin with and parts for them are much more difficult to find now. For example, 42DCOE only had main venturi (chokes) available in even numbered sizes with the largest being 34mm. 40DCOE have a much wider selection in 1mm increments, and go up to 36mm.

In your car you will likely want 32 to 34mm size, depending upon several factors, which would actually allow either size to be used. If you do track down 42DCOE Series 8, be prepared to spend a lot more for a set of chokes, though, simply due to rarity of the parts. As far as I know, only one series of 42s were ever made: the Series 8 I already mentioned.

In addition, you'll want 4.5mm secondary venturi. There are two types of these for 40DCOE carbs. One is longer and sits flush with the front of the carb, is for use without air horns or with surface mount air horns. The other is shorter, stops an inch or so inside the throat and is for use with the longer style of air horns only.

Air horns or ram stacks are a hotly discussed Weber accessory. Basically, they help air flow to be steadier and more consistent, and can help prevent "stand off" where the air fuel mixture is actually pulled back out of the throat of the carb. However, there's a lot of talk about air horns' real value when mounted underneath an air filter on a street car. I figure they can't hurt, have 40-45mm horns on my car (which require deeper air cleaners, I'm using 3" K&N). One consideration, longer air horns are better for low end torque. Shorter ones and really large diameter, full radius ones are more for top end performance. I think TeriAnn talks about these a bit on her site.

I don't believe there were actually more than a few TR4s out of the factory with Webers fitted. In fact, I only know for certain of the Rally Team cars, and those would have been setup initially by the factory racing dept. in England. Here in the U.S., the Kastner/factory prep used modified SUs on TR4 track cars during the peak years of the cars in the early 60s. Webers weren't permitted on Production Class cars initially.

The Rally Team TR4s, with Webers and other mods already in place, were shipped to North America to compete in the Shell 4000 Rally around 1964-65, and Kastner was recruited to prep them. So at least by then he must have been working with the carbs. (This was also the time when he installed American Racing Silverstone wheels - pre-cursors to the now more well-known Minilites - on those cars for the first time, over the initial objections of the rally tech inspectors who felt the mags wouldn't be strong enough and might be dangerous. Just the opposite proved to be true, so the Silverstones found their way from the U.S. racing scene to the UK/European rally circuit.)

Kastner and many others picked up on using Weber DCOE in many race applications, where permitted by the rule book. This is probably enough history, though!

As to your application, you will probably want 40DCOE for street use. These maintain higher intake gas speeds due to the smaller diameter throat, which is good for lower to mid-rpm work. Racers usually use 45DCOE, which can be tuned better for max. rpm operation and will give max HP at the top end, but at the cost of low to mid-range torque and performance.

I agree that to get the best out of them any DCOE should be part of a matched package of engine mods that include a hotter cam, increased compression, freer-flowing exhaust and head work to improve engine breathing. You would find only incremental improvement installing them on an otherwise stock engine. The improvement you see will be due largely to DCOE having an accelerator pump, which both SU and ZS lack. The flip side of this is that the accelerator pump is also the reason Webers can and will consume more fuel. When I floored the pedal, I swear I could see the gas gauge needle moving on my TR4, even with relatively choked down 40DCOE at higher altitudes. It sounded very cool though... and got up and galloped pretty well in spite of my shade tree tuning.

There are many, many different versions of 40DCOE, so be careful shopping. The main designation is an additional number, such as the 40DCOE Series "18" on my car. It's important that the carbs you buy are a matched set, both with the same series number. It's also important that the serial numbers - which are stamped right below the model designation with its series suffix number - be reasonably close, since a much later manufactured carb might have some variations that were implemented during production. The serial numbers are highly unlikely to be exactly sequential, but shouldn't be too far apart. For example, the 40DCOE on my car have serial numbers 151XX and 157XX. I happen to know they were purchased or installed as a set when new, so am satisfied they are a matched set. I'd worry if the serial numbers were wildly different.

There are a wide number of variances within any particular model designation. In the 40DCOE the manual I have lists Series 2, 4, 24, 27, 28, 32, 33, 15/16, 18, 22/23, 29/30, 31, 34/35, 44/46, 76/77, 72/72 and 81. Still being manufactured, there are even more variances today, with Series numbers now in the triple digits.

However, I lucked out back in the 70s when I bought the 40DCOE "8"s still on my TR4. Some key differences between the Series are accelerator pump stroke and float level dimensions, effecting how much fuel is on hand in the carburetor and how much is delivered during acceleration. Now it so happens that 40DCOE 18 have the same accelerator pump stroke (10mm) as the 42DCOE 8 that were original specified for the TR 4 cyl. (Note, the same carbs and basic setup jetting were specified for the engine in 83mm/2 liter and 86mm/2.1 liter form, so there is some flexibility).

The float stroke is slighly shorter, 6.5mm instead of 8.5mm that's on the 42DCOE 8, but I've never noticed any fuel starvation problems.

40DCOE Series 18, 22/23, 29/30 all share the same accelerator pump stroke as 42DCOE8. But, 40DCOE 29/30 have a shorter float stroke (and a lower open position). 40DCOE 22/23 have the same as 40DCOE18 and might be a better choice. On the other hand, 40DCOE 18 were widely used on some production cars and are pretty common.

Speaking of the accelerator pump stroke, a slightly shorter actually wouldn't hurt. But the 10mm found on the carbs I've mentioned is the shortest that was used on the older DCOE (I don't know if newer ones might be offerred with a shorter stroke). Some cars tend get overly rich during the initial acceleration phase, but it's easy to modify the accelerator pump stroke/volume by putting a washer the right size inside it (I didn't find it necessary on my car, but Kastner discusses often needing to do this in his chapters on Weber tuning).

You ask about manifolds and there are a number of different ones to choose. Shop around. I have a Warneford on my car, which I like because it's a one-piece design that fits very well. Most Weber manifolds are two-piece. Unfortunately, I don't think Warneford are still being made and don't know of anyone who is making a similar design. (On the other hand, once installed properly, I suppose a little aluminum welding might convert a two-piece manifold design into a one-piece!)

Other considerations:

Try to locate a local or at least England-based Weber tuner and parts house. This will make tracking down parts much easier and there is no sense in paying double duty on items shipped from the U.S. Plus, it's highly useful to have initial tuning done properly on a dyno (rolling road on your side of the pond). Better yet, if you choose to work with someone like Revington TR, Racetorations or Cambridge Motorsports, they will be quite familiar with Weber setup on TR4 specifically and can probably more quickly get you up and running.

Also check local laws that might effect using Weber DCOE on the street. They are illegal here in California, and I'd most certainly never encourage anyone to do anything illegal! (Note: some Weber downdraft are approved for use in Calif., but those are essentially economy carbs, not very performance oriented. For convience, they can be found on Jeeps, though!) I will tell you that my Weber setup (thanks in part to the one-piece manifold) can be quite easily be completely swapped out in about 15 minutes - for a pre-tuned SU setup I've also got on hand - should I ever need to comply with the rules of the road.

Keep looking for that two-piece Triumph hard top, eventually you will find one! It took me a year or two to finally track one down at a price I could live with (immediately after which I saw another one offered even cheaper on eBay and came very close to having two of them!)

Cheers!

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Alan, GREAT info, I have the same set up, same manifold too, but mine are DCOE 4s whats the diff? What would I get if I just put them on my car,without the header? I have the header set up but dont want to chop up my exhaust. Alan, right now my car pulls strongly to 5500 with the SU's and never misses a beat,it wants to go higher but I panic.I dont know whats in the engine,I am running it as I got it, after I fixed the int/exh leak and set the timming. Would I be wasting my time,or would I get a little more grunt?

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
BOXoROCKS said:
but mine are DCOE 4s whats the diff?

Say what? 45DCOE? 42DCOE? Either of those would be more useful for high rpm work, especially the 45s. The smaller throated 40DCOE carbs are more flexible for street driving (probably for autocross, too).

Actually, you can install a 34mm choke/main venturi in all three models - 40, 42 or 45DCOE. However, the rest of the carbs throat is larger on the larger bore models and that's where the gas speeds slow a bit at "street" rpms. I used my car on the street for 9 or 10 years with 40DCOE and they performed well, hardly needed any service after being setup initially.

I think maybe you are referring to 40DCOE *Series 4*. If so then the accel. pump stroke is 14mm and will likely deliver too much fuel. However, with the jetting setup - and perhaps with a mod like putting a washer in the accel. pump - you can probably dial them in. The recommended jetting for TR4 with 42DCOE8 (10mm accel. pump stroke) will likely be wrong though and you might need to fiddle with it to avoid overenrichment during the initial acceleration phase. Just something to watch out for.

BOXoROCKS said:
What would I get if I just put them on my car,without the header? I have the header set up but dont want to chop up my exhaust.

Header isn't totally necessary, the TR4A manifold in particular flows pretty well. If the rest of the exhaust is stock, it might be a bit restrictive.

With the carbs set up right, you would see some limited improvement. On a street car that's had little other work done it would mostly just be a bit of additional acceleration. In fact, I wouldn't call it a highly "cost effective" improvement without the other tweaking to get the most out of the carbs, especially if someone is buying all new parts. Another benefit of Webers is the relatively few moving parts don't get out of adjustment, once set.

On the other hand, Webers don't "adapt" to significant changes in altitude or changes in air density for any other reason. By design, both ZS and SU do somewhat "self-adjust". They can be made to run pretty well, too (and will use more gas in the process). But, both require more fiddling, servicing and tuning on an ongoing basis.

Since you already have the carbs and manifold - the biggest cost items - and the desire to play around with it, you have little to lose. Stock linkage on TR4 can be used with minor changes. The original fuel lines and pump can work (or use a Facet or similar electric pump, keep to 4 psi or lower though). You probably would want to add a fuel pressure regulator/adjuster up near the carbs, which should be set to about 3 or 3.5 psi.

I forgot to mention the dizzy earlier, d'oh!

Yes, ideally you should change to a non-vac advance distributor. That means either the Mallory or a modified Lucas original. These can also be used on the SU or ZS, but the vac ports on the carb/manifold need to be blocked. Back in my starving student years I did run my 40DCOE setup with a vacuum advance installed, but I didn't know any better and that's certainly not recommended. It makes one of the manifold runners and carb throats unbalanced with the other three.

Swapping to DCOE on the 6 cyl. TRs is a bit more of a problem, because when you change to a non-vac advance dizzy you lose the tach drive that was part of the original Lucas dizzy. One solution is to swap to to an electronic tach, another is to have the original tach modified to function electronically. Of course, both of these add some cost to the job. Not to mention you need to purchase three matched carbs instead of two!

Once setup, you can pretty easily swap back and forth to the SU/ZS, if that's ever needed. However, if also changing back and forth to the vac advance dizzy, that *will* take a bit longer than the 15 minutes I mentioned earlier.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
MadMarx said:
I would advice you to use a Phoenix exhaust system. I have installed it last year and it powered up the car.

Hi Christian,

...and welcome to BCF!

Do you know of a website showing and describing the Phoenix system in detail? I'd like to check it out.

Cheers!