• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finding help to actuallyl get projects completed

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My various projects are slowly moving ahead, but only because I've been fortunate enough to be able to hire some good guys to work in my residential garage. The economy was booming here in Alberta up until about three years, and I'd been casually looking for a seasonally unemployed motorcycle mechanic that I'd be compatible with and that I could afford for a couple of years. I figured a motorcycle mechanic would be technically inclined and careful, and capable of reading a manual as well as I could
Leonard was the first chap, and the key. He's a motorcycle mechanic at a shop I went to, and I'd been chatting with him occasionally for about 8 years but he'd always worked in a steel fabricating shop in the off-season. The economy is in really bad shape here now and the fab shop had closed and he moved into my garage last December. For January, it looked like he'd found a real job about five hours driving northwest of here, but he recommended another motorcycle mechanic that he'd worked with and Rory started in January. Leonard's job didn't work out, so I had both guys working together in Feb. and March until the riding season started and they went back to motorcycles. Rory hooked me up with Jeff, and Jeff has been here two days a week (he's got another 'real' part-time job) since Spring. The projects are/were: get our Yellow BE running; take our Meyers Manx clone dune buggy apart and rebuild it; start with another BE body tub and get it assembled; get a 1972 BMW 2002 converted to a 5 speed transmission, changed over EFI, and various minor upgrades.
The Yellow BE is running; the rest of the projects are proceeding and should all be done by Christmas.
I've pretty much run out of energy for getting things done, and the guys are the only reason that this will happen. I felt that I knew Leonard, and he vouched for Rory, and Rory vouched for Jeff, and they've all been pretty incredible. And they've all had keys to our home in the months that they were working here, whether we were here or not.
Figured I'd share the experience and the approach.

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think you have a good plan. Sometimes you have to pay to move a project forward. I have never been involved with as much as you have going on at one time.
My projects can take many years to complete. The Dune Buggy was about 5 from start to finish.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://s83.photobucket.com/user/hcallaway/embed/berrien%20dune%20buggy/story"></iframe>

https://s83.photobucket.com/user/hcallaway/library/berrien dune buggy
On the above link you can see what I had to do.
I have about 500 pictures showing the build.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dang! That's nice, Holt! And I particularly
And my projects don't take long - I do! We bought both bug-eyes in 1972 - the one that some years it runs; some years it don't, plus the one that has been stored ever since with me not getting Round TUIT. Similarly with the dune buggy - some years it runs; some years it don't. But I'm paying the guys twenty bucks an hour (Canadian) with their choice whether cash or receiptable, and this seems to be something that's comparable to the take home they'd been getting and enough to show a proper level of respect.
Got about half way through your photo collection before I screwed up and crashed the computer. Question: what are you running for tire pressures? I'm tending to 18 psi front and 22 rear, but am thinking that that's a bit high. Thanks,