• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other Need help finding a triumph 2000/2500/2.5pi autobox transmission

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I am trying to find a borg warner T35 or T65 automatic transmission from a triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Unfortunately these cars were never sold in the USA, making this a very frustrating search at the moment. There's even one for sale in brisbane australia that's exactly what i'm looking for on ebay at this very moment, but the seller doesnt want to deal with shipping / crating / palatalizing.

The T35 and T65 were common in the states, but the bellhousing from the 2000/2500/2.5 matches up to the triumph 2.5l straight six used in the TR6, 2500, 2.5 etc.

The pedal box space problems that I've been having with my hunter roadster have led me to reach the conclusion that the absolute best solution is eliminating the clutch pedal and all of a sudden having plenty of space in the footwell, and the easiest way to do this would be to swap my transmission for an autobox.

If anyone knows of anyone who has an automatic transmission from a 2000/2500/2.5pi that they'd be willing to part with, I would love if you could have them contact me at justin.mercier@REMOVEgmailREMOVE.com (yes get rid of the REMOVE on either side of gmail.com, this keeps spam bots from grabbing my email)

Thanks !!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a thought, Justin, could you just buy the bellhousing from overseas and mate it to a locally-sourced box? Might be easier/cheaper to get just the bellhousing shipped over.

Also FWIW, it appears that maybe the Stag auto box might also fit. Could be worth looking into, anyway. Les Clarke in the UK breaks a lot of Stags, and he will ship to the US (for a price, of course). I haven't seen him list an auto box on eBay, but he might have one anyway or at least know where to find one.

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I looked at the Stag T35s do not fit, and not only that but the 2500/2000/2.5 gear boxes have a 4 bolt pattern to hold on the bell housing, while the stags have a 6 bolt bell housing, so the bell house from a 2000/2500 wont fit on a stag BW35 =( I've seen a stag T65 which looked like it may have been a 4 bolt pattern on the bellhousing, but I cant find the photo again. It looks like even though internally they're all T35s or T65s, that the case used on the 2500/2000 may have been unique to that model at least amongst triumphs, so the bell housing wont move to another. (havent confirmed the volvos or jaguars with T35 and T65s dont use the same 4 bolt pattern yet however, just that the other triumphs with autoboxes dont look offhand like they would work)

A rover P6 (rover 2000 2200 3500) used the same gear box and i think the same bolt pattern on the gear box to bell housing, but they also werent sold in the USA which leaves me with the same problem in sourcing one of those gearboxes too !

philstr6

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Justin
My dad has a borg warner t35 in his tr6,and it bolts up to the six as well,I will send pictures to your email
Philstr6
Phil

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I am trying to find a borg warner T35 or T65 automatic transmission from a triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Unfortunately these cars were never sold in the USA, making this a very frustrating search at the moment.
For whatever it's worth, the 2000 sedan was sold in the United States for a couple of years, beginning around 1966 in both manual and automatic gearbox versions. Cars, including those perhaps best suited as donors, do turn up from time to time, so do keep an eye on eBay and any "global" Craigslist search site you know of. You might also want to post your quest to other forums and e-mail lists as well, as there are "pockets" of interest in these cars. (For example, they seem to have been somewhat popular in the Pacific Northwest, particularly in the Portland OR area.)

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Justin, I sent your description to the guy I bought my A type OD from in New Zealand. Reply:

"Hello Richard, glad the O/D is good, does your friend want just the bell housing or complete auto trans? Nobody wants them here, I have dumped three in for scrap. The Stag auto was the same with a different bellhousing if that is any help,
regards,Ian"

I'll forward your email to him if you wish. Freight was included in my deal which went well.

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I believe I may have just tracked down a T35 here in the states form Phil's father's car, as he's putting a J-type OD into his TR6 that currently has the T35 autobox. I spoke on the phone with Robert this evening and we're going to keep in contact as he does his own transmission swap removing the BW T35. Since his is coming out of a running TR6 automatic conversion, it's got all the associated components (kickdown cables, torque converter, ATF cooler, etc) as well, so will probably be the best bet for me! Shipping it across country is, I'm certain, less expensive than shipping from over seas =)

I may still be interested in a bell housing and misc. parts from NZ though, or even a whole spare tranny depending on the shipping costs. Feel free to pass him along my email. Spares / extras are ALWAYS a good thing to have on hand with triumphs =)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I know where there's a complete 2000 automatic - for free.
I tried to find someone to come & get it,but no takers.

- Doug

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I had a major setback with my search as the transmission that I was going to be buying is now no longer for sale, so I'm back looking for a borg warner T35 automatic (or perhaps a T65 from a late model 2500TC/2.5pi)

Back to square one with my search, need to source a gearbox, torque converter, and gear selector now.

Alternately if anyone in the UK is near london there's one i'm watching on ebay for sale with torque converter, but it's listed local pickup only, so I'd need someone willing to pick it up and put it on a crate for me

OP
justin_mercier

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
They did not have any when I contacted them. I'm talking with Chris Witor in the UK right now via email, he thinks he can find me a complete BW65 with the proper bellhouse and TC and he can ship overseas as well. Hopefully I get one sooner rather than later, I want to drive this year !