• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Fabricating TR3 trunk panel,looking for photo help

jdvintage

I am in the last stages of the sheet metal repairs on my '59 TR3. Just about ready to weld in a newly fabricated,under tank, trunk panel. I have a question about the placement of the three angle strips that support the tank,compartment divider panel.I'm thinking that the center strip, the open part of the angle faces forward(toward the tank)and the two shorter angle strips on either side,the open part of the angle faces toward the rear. Any photos of the placement of those panel support strips would be great. Thanks,JD

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi JD
That part of my car was in good shape and I don't have many pictures of details. Perhaps these will help a bit.
Cheers, Mike

UnderTank_2Medium.jpg

UnderTank_1Medium.jpg

OP
J

jdvintage

Thanks Mike for the photos. Your second shot that shows area in question does not seem to have the angle strips that would be spot welded to the most forward trunk floor rib and two smaller angle strips spot welded on either side of the center rib. The strips were used to locate the vinyl covered divider panel. Maybe some years had the angle strips and others did not. Your car looks like it is coming along great! I supported my body structure as you did, using existing hole in the door jamb. Now as I am panel fitting I wish the supports were located to allow me to mount the doors. I think I will relocate my supports. Thanks, JD

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Differences in body configuration ... flat bottom versus the slope on mine, and I had no attachment points for back panel at bottom. Cheers, Mike

AEW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I looked at my 58 and, though there are only stubs of rust now, the 3 angle pieces all face the rear, not alternated. In other words the visible flat part will be in the trunk. Pretty sure it is original. Car has been off road since early 70's.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
They changed the orientation (two one way, one the other) of those angled pieces post TS60000 when they raised the trunk floor. My original pre 60k body had them going the same way, so it depends on the commission number.

Edit: Look closely at the middle angle piece in John's photo and you will see that the flat section would hang off the end floor pressing if facing the back of the trunk.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
mgedit said:
Hi JD
That part of my car was in good shape and I don't have many pictures of details. Perhaps these will help a bit.
Cheers, Mike

UnderTank_1Medium.jpg

Hi Mike (or anyone else) Can you post the hole size of the vent tube hole where it goes through the body? it's visible in the pic above - on the far right side (top in the above pic) of the shelf where the gas tank sits. I need to cut one and want to confirm the size. Thanks,

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My tank is back in the car, so hard to measure hole now. I used a piece of rubber fuel line to extend the pipe through the body and as far as I can measure it is just over half inch (something like 0.53 inches, but I really can't get my micrometer in there to be sure of accuracy). I'd suggest you get a piece of fuel line that fits the vent pipe and make the hole the appropriate size. I think I drilled mine out just a bit to get a snug fit for the rubber hose. Cheers, Mike

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
luke44 said:
mgedit said:
Hi JD
Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike (or anyone else) Can you post the hole size of the vent tube hole where it goes through the body? it's visible in the pic above - on the far right side (top in the above pic) of the shelf where the gas tank sits. I need to cut one and want to confirm the size. Thanks,

I can an only comment on post 60000 car. The two holes in the trunk floor panel are both 1 inch. There are two holes on the deck panel forward, 1 1/8 and 1 1/2. I believe the large hole is the drain and the 1 inch holes are for the vent and the fuel line although I'm all apart right now and haven't got everything sorted. I can give you locations for the later cars.
Tom

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Tom. I'm going to go with 1" - a grommet is readily available and it will easily accomodate the vent tube.

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
Did anyone ever post a picture of the proper holes to insert in the TR3 trunk? I'm in a similar situation where I've put in an aftermarket trunk in a TR3a which is raised to make room for spare tire.

The guy who welded it it threw out the old on so I have no reference. The car's comm is 53087. Picture is

VCaGShsj7kxiRuaQc5hGiGR7Rb4PcsnJL4d-2JMsKcs

The letters in the picture reference the following questions:

A = Where are location of holes that needing drilling and what is the approx. size (1"?).

B= Are the strips that were used to locate the vinyl covered divider panel appropriate for this pre 60k car w/ modern trunk floor replacement, i.e., raised area for spare tire?

C= Are the straps that tie down the gas tank screwed into the trunk floor with bolts and captive nuts?

D= When was the “tab” at this location changed? i.e., there seems to be different types I’ve seen for the trunk handle to ratchet down on.

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
Yes sir. These pictures are great. A few additional questions for clarification:

1) Do you have to tack down captive nuts in the new trunk floor in order for the gas tank straps to bolt onto them?

2) Did you opt out of putting in the angled metal that the vinyl divider screws down on?

3) Did you use seam sealer or other in the trunk?

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
mcguijo said:
Yes sir. These pictures are great. A few additional questions for clarification:

1) Do you have to tack down captive nuts in the new trunk floor in order for the gas tank straps to bolt onto them?

2) Did you opt out of putting in the angled metal that the vinyl divider screws down on?

3) Did you use seam sealer or other in the trunk?

1) The gas tank straps bolt through the holes in the floor which you can see in my earlier pics with nuts and wide washers on the bottom. The front of the strap does bolt into a thread that is integral to the panel in the passenger compartment(I wouldn't really call it a captive nut as such)

2) I don't think there is such an angled piece of metal. I'm going on the basis of detail in the picture of Mike's car above which looks identical to mine, as well as an award winning car I studied pretty carefully at the 2010TRA (see below - granted the carpet somewhat obscures the ideal view). I also have a bunch of pix of cars I've kept (some concurs, some basket cases). See the green car below as an example of one that really shows the panel attachment - note the clips - I haven't seen anything anywhere in my library of pix of a pre 60000 car that would indicate there is a bar for the vinyl divider... Perhaps the angle is for a post 60000 car? The pic in CJD's posting above with these angles are definitely a post 60000 car. Other comments anyone?

3) Seam sealer? Yup.

Hope these help
6939911887_42f270c02d_z.jpg

6793808136_f30288ed90_z.jpg