• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Experience w/ Moss Classic Leather Seats? Others?

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to replace the seats in my TR6 with more modern ones. Specifically with better whiplash protection since I'm tall. I'd like them to still look period-correct, so ruled out the Miata seat conversion.

Anyone had experience with these?
https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=59695

Are there other options out there you'd recommend?

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
The seats from Vicky Brit are quite supportive, and somewhat expensive. Good lumbar, high headrest. Very comfy on a long trip. A bit of a trick to install. The other option is score some seats from a '69 TR6 and have them re-bolstered and recovered. Good high head rest.

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Re: Experience w/ Moss Classic Leather Seats? Othe

TR6BILL said:
The seats from Vicky Brit are quite supportive, and somewhat expensive. Good lumbar, high headrest. Very comfy on a long trip. A bit of a trick to install. The other option is score some seats from a '69 TR6 and have them re-bolstered and recovered. Good high head rest.

Do you have any pics you could post? They look a little nicer than the Moss ones for some reason, but I'm not a huge fan of adding new holes in the floor. I know some have made adapter plate brackets for these, but I want to keep fab time to a minimum and also keep the seat bottom as low as possible. Though maybe maybe a simple adapter plate would be easier than I'm imagining?

Here's the link:
https://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/t6/full.aspx?Page=107

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag

Here are the Suffolk Seats from VB. The car was built by TR6BILL and I am the current owner. And they are very comfortable.
100_0991.jpg

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

They look great. You don't happen to have a picture of how they're mounted to the floor, do you? Or the underside of the seat?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag

I don't know how Bill did it, but when I took them out to install fatmat on the floors, they seemed to use the same holes as the OEM seats. I'll tell you this too, I sit lower in the Suffolk seats than I do in the OEM. My head is lower in relation to the windshield height.
The seat bottoms in my 74 are very full and firm; maybe that accounts for the difference, but it's definitly noticeable. But sorry, no pictures.

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

poolboy said:
I don't know how Bill did it, .... I sit lower in the Suffolk seats than I do in the OEM.

Bill--thoughts?

Poolboy--Oh, great, thanks for that comment. That's my primary fear actually. I'm fairly tall (6-1), and one thing I like about my ratty old stock seats is that the foam is so broken down that I'm basically sitting on the floor! Well not quite, but I want to sit as low as possible. That's good news.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag

Sure, no problem; and it's not just my imagination, my wife noticed the difference, too.
I measured the front of both the OEM and the Suffolk seat to the floor and they were pretty close to the same, but it looks like the Suffolks take more of a slope as they meet the back rest.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker

Because they advertise the Suffolk seats as a direct bolt-in replacement for OE seats, with a few minor alterations (two new holes), I assumed it would be simple. Indeed, I drilled new holes and was not satisfied. Since I was going to replace the floorboards anyway with Heritage units, I was determined to do a proper job and not drill into the new floors. Instead, I fabricated basically some steel "picture frames" out of stock plate and bolted these to the stock holes in the new floors. Then located exactly where I wanted the VB seats to sit and welded studs coming up from the steel frame, set the studs into the holes in the VB seat rails and bolted them right up. Still they were lower than stock seats. Very strong and completely removable, both seats and frames if need be.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight

I saw as car with the Suffolk seats at a show this summer and they do look great. There's another guy over on 6-Pack who also has them. Like you, I wanted more head/neck protection but there was no way I could justify the cost of these replacement seats.......two of the Moss seats almost cost what I got my car for back when... ;-) Add in the fact that while they may "look" correct, as soon as you see a car with them you know they aren't stock seats. They're bigger, thicker, taller and "say" after market. This isn't a criticism.... just my opinion based on seeing them first hand. I went the Miata seat route and total cost was $450 including the seats, new leather & headrest speakers. If we could get the Leather.com people to make a TR6 version of the Miata leather covers, they would look a lot like the early TR6 seats...... a little brighter black leather and some pleats on the inserts! :driving:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

I have a set of the Moss seats, at least I think they are the same. Bought them in the UK a couple of years ago, a lot cheaper there at the time but embarrassingly I haven't used them yet as I'm holding off until I do a complete interior redo. If you need some detailed pics or anything, however, let me know. I'm just over 6' myself and need a lower seat - I sat in these and I think they are no higher than the stock seats.

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Bob--thanks, I did consider Miata seats carefully, but I'm tall enough that they're not quite high enough for my head.

Randy--if you could post pics, that'd be great. Moss is having a sale ending Friday, so I'm trying to make a decision before then.

Poolboy--any chance you have pictures from the sides? I'm curious to compare the looks and recline mechanism, etc.

Thanks guys.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Well, I'm less help than I thought. I dug a seat out of the box, and in comparing the style I can see that the Moss UK seat is not the same as what you see in the Moss US site. Sorry for the confusion.
IMG_1104.jpg

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag

Not really of the reclining mechanism. It's about 4" in diameter that you rotate one way to tilt the back forward and naturally the other way to tilt back.
I'm 6' and my head, not my neck, touches the headrest.
100_1036.jpg

100_1035.jpg

100_1033.jpg

OP
MTribe

MTribe

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Does anyone remember when Victoria British's annual sale is? I think it's in the Jan-Feb time frame?

I'm thinking I'll go with those...

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

FYI Che is way dead.....US SF trained the shooters

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
I bought the Moss Leather sat covers, back support straps and foam kit.
This is my second year and they look as new. Comfortable and lot's of good comments.
I would recommend this kit.
1972 TR6
1971 TR6
Thanks.

RossL

Country flag
I have the leather sufolk seats. They came with the car so I cannot compare them to the originals. Only draw back is when they need to be recovered I can't buy ready made covers.

I don't think I would have spent the $$$ for them.

Don't know how old they are but they are startinmg to show som,e wear.

DSC00166.jpg

Cust511028pic.jpg

WindshieldAug09008.jpg

DSC00164.jpg