• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Experience ordering from U.K. ?

crj7driver

Jedi Trainee
I need new crash pads for my TR6 project and with the dollar relatively stronger I looked at Rimmer Bros as well. Turns out they are significantly cheaper than the vendors in the U.S. I can get a pair of them for $70 vs 140.

Shipping shouldn't be too bad but I was curious if you have to pay any import duties?

Thanks

philman

Jedi Knight
I haven't had to pay import yet on parts from Rimmer Bros. Shipping has been fairly quick also, about a week for each time I ordered. Some shipments were from Sweden(?); must be one of their suppliers.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Should be no import duty, but I have been dunned for customs broker charges on shipments from the UK. Package was clearly labeled "antique car parts", but apparently the customs official wanted to know more details, so they impounded the package and I got a phone call (and bill) from the broker that convinced them to release the package. But that was the exception rather than the rule; dozens of other packages sailed right through with no charges.

I've also had really bad experiences with items from "the brothers" not fitting well. Fully half of the items in the last shipment I got from them did not fit properly (or at all).

As my Pappy useta say, "Hay is cheaper after it's been through the horse."

Of course they will replace the item, or if you complain enough, refund your money. But you'll pay shipping both ways.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Small pieces that can fit within UK Royal mail limits are fast and cheap. If you are considering ordering from any of the suppliers, I recommend calling directly, its easier than trying to navigate through a web order system. You should be able to eliminate the VAT (value added tax?) which helps offset shipping a bit.

Plenty of vendor options, Rimmer, Moss Europe, Revington to name the big ones. Also, consider TRShop London for the crash pads, they are used to shipping all over too and you may get a better deal too.

Randy

V

vagt6

If you're ordering from an EU nation, be sure that you do not pay the VAT, it will save you about 16% off your purchase.

We Yanks don't have to pay the VAT. Thank goodness. :yesnod:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have bought stuff from Moss UK back when the dollar was 1.18. That was a while ago. Had real good luck except for the Triumph Tune SS exhaust system . Middle pieces don't come close to fitting.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My experience has been good- parts are correct and fit. It was neat to get a call from the VISA charge card people to let me kinow that someone had shcraged several hundred dollars on the my card. That way I got the exact price of the stuff. It id difficult to get the exact accounting of the money spent. The difficult part for me is understanding the accent- something about the distance and connection I guess. I don't have that trouble when speaking face to face.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I do it all the time. No issues. Rimmer Bros are great to deal with. Order online and save about 3%.
Never had to deal with a customs/import duty issue.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
So far, nothing I've ever ordered from Rimmers has ever actually made it to my home. They were always willing to charge me of course. Took a fair number of phone calls and e-mails to ever get things semi-straightened out. After a few rounds of this, I quit trying to order from them.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
crj7driver said:
Shipping shouldn't be too bad but I was curious if you have to pay any import duties?

Thanks
I think the freight and other related charges when importing from the UK are beyond belief. If you can get the part all ready imported from the UK get it here! Case in point, a two carb Jag manifold (intake only about 27 lbs) with the carbs cost $150 to ship to me from UK. The delivery time was 10 to 14 days. The cost was best and least costly way when time and reliability was considered. You can ship TO the UK less than going the other way. I don't understand that either. At one point I could buy round trip tickets to the UK for near the cost of freight on a set of pistons and cams. Perhaps the exchage rates, fuel surcharges and other rips change the picture. Your shipper knows the USA delivery game better than anyone else so get firm charges and you will take the guess work out of the decision.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hello philman,

I just caught your signature & noticed a "Triumph 10 Estate Wagon"!! What the heck does that look like?????????????

Thanx for the pic in advance,

Russ

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Close. The first picture above is a Standard 10 6 cwt pickup. The Triumph 10 Estate Wagon is very similar. See this page for some 10 Estate Wagon pictures.

The second picture is a Standard Atlas major van. Amazingly, a very, very few of these made it to the US and Canada with Triumph badging; use the same link as above and scroll up a wee bit to see some Triumph Atlas vans!