• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Diameter of crankshaft pulley on TR6

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Anyone know what that outer diameter dimension might be? Also, what width is available to install timing degree tape?

Thanks ! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, I know that the width is 1/2" across where the timing marks are, but I still need the diameter. Bill is yours still apart?

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul, I measured my pulley and can only get you within a
half an inch. Utilizing an approach of doubling the
radius, my pulley measures 61/2 inches.

I have no calipers available and suspect limited room would skew results anyway, so I made a mold of the face of the pulley with aluminum foil. Got dead on 7 inches. This is suspect of being slightly enlarged because of the method, but at least it gives us the outermost size.

Now regarding the width available to install the timing
degree tape, you have 1 inch between the timing chain
cover and the belt. You might even get 1/16 more, if you need it, but 1 inch is something I think you can rely on.

I had to reflect upon what you were asking and why you
might want to know. Sounds like you are fabricating
your own pulley, etc.

If you really need more exact numbers, I will try to get a
caliper in there. This is my best with resources at
hand. Hope it helps.
Dennis.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dennis,

Thanks so much. I thought that I had bought a spare, but I don't have one. As long as I know that it's between 6.5" & 7.0" I can check at the speed shop an see what's available. I know there is a Ford pulley at 6.5 and a Chevy at 7.0, so I'll buy whatever I can get (in between those numbers) in hopes of hitting it correctly, then return the unused tapes. Mine is painted nicely, but the grooves never seem to hold the white or yellow color for very long.

And I did measure the surface area that I have to work with and it's 1/2", which is about what most of the tapes are, if I remember correctly.

Thanks again,

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am not wholly convinced that I understood what you
were after. I did my best.

Enjoyed the thread regarding "Let there be light," aka
the rheostat saga.

I kept thinking: This guy is sophisicated. Tin foil
for God sakes???

Hoped you'd appreciate me for my enthusiasm, if
nothing else. Went driving today....it was great!

Dennis

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dennis,

Never look a gift horse in the mouth, as my grandfather used to say. Let's put it in perspective. It's about 13 degrees in my garage now. I ran out quickly and measured the width of the area that is marked and got the 1/2". You got me closer that I would have, without freezing my butt off, because after finding my drop light then replacing the bulb and then forgetting where I put my tape, I was very darn cold.

I appreciate the efforts. Mr. Gasket makes the tapes in 1/4" increments, if I remember correctly so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,

Paul

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Paul,
I was able to measure my pully since most of my engine is in my basement and what I got was 6.575" diameter and 1/2" wide behind the belt groove.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks Roman. I'm stuck so far between a Ford @ 6.375" and another Chevy at 6.750. I'm either .200" over or under. I just may order both and see which one lines up best with the original marks in the pulley.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks for the tip Jeff. I shall do just that whenever it finally gets warm enough to work on the car again.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
What makes you think that my wife sews? Maybe I could get my mother-in-laws tape, but I don't think that my little sweetheart has one of those highly technical manual tape systems.

I did get ripped of by a local speed shop today for two of the tapes, one 6.375 and the other 6.750. I'll compare their markings to the engraved lines in the damper and use the best match, then coat it with clear.

Too bad for the speed shop. I saw a bunch of other stuff that I would have bought from him, but when I told him he was twice the price for the tapes as on Mr. Gasket's web site he just shrugged. So I put everything else back, paid him and walked out. No problem. The shop in CT that was very nice in giving me the numbers will get all of that other business.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It won't be my first or last time to walk away after being screwed a bit, but it will be my last time in that speed shop. And I can assure you, no one from the three clubs that I belong to locally will be in there either.

The parts are $5.95 each on the web site at retail price. They charged me twice that amount each, then gave a 10% discount. The attitude bothered me more than the price.

I mean the old 20/10 isn't too bad but 100/10??? Come on!

tomshobby

Yoda
I had one of my company's vendors tried a deal like that today. I switched vendors in a heartbeat and now have one that is pleasant to deal with and the same parts are half the price and without the dreaded minimum order amounts.

Somehow I do not feel I was put on this earth to provide them with a sucker.

Oh, I talked with Jeff at Advanced today, I told him I did not need three distributors, one would do fine! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

You will not believe the difference that his work can make in how well your car can improve it's performance.

BTW, I can't afford, nor could I handle three wives or three cars, so I just worked my way down to the distributors. It was one of those things that took on a life of it's own as I acquired more cores on ebay.

I'm done. No more fooling around until the triple carbs arrive.

Or maybe my bumpers if the plater ever finishes them. Now it's supposed to be Friday. We'll see.....

Good luck with your distributor and get ready to really be able to set the timing up correctly.

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hi paul, i was wondering since i live in ri also where are you getting the bumpers redone and how much is that running these days? looks like i may have a running tr6 soon in addition to the project one ive got....maybe we could do a ride sometime. i live in east greenwich. oh btw i took a trip down to pa this weekend and i stopped in at the roadster factory and it was a great time. i got to take my pic in the 1955 triumph le mans entry, the trs and i also got a convertable top with no shipping. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Randy

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Randy,

Nice to meet you. I'm getting the bumpers done at NuChrome in Fall River. I had the holes in the front bumper welded shut where the big ugly black bumper guards went on and I had the rectangular cut outs on the rear for the brackets of the same filled in as well, so that drove my costs up.

My total was $1250 for the front, 3-piece rear and the front license frame, including the above mentioned work. I had no peeling, rust or dents, just chrome that was getting dull.

They're supposed to be done by tomorrow (I hope) so hopefully I can get them by the end of the day or I'll have to wait until next Weds to pick them up.

Erik, from Her Majesty's saw them Tuesday, when he took some chrome in from an MG that they're restoring and said that they looked really good. The last part to be done is the license frame.

With that being said, I had another spare license frame done over in Hartford at NE Chrome Plating and they did a great job. That cost $130 plus the tax.

Today I dropped my original valve cover off at a small shop in Rumford, RI, called NE Bumper to give then a try. He gave me a lead time of two weeks and said he would fix some flaws that I never asked about, but knew they were there. That was a good sign. The cost for that was $125.

All three shops strip and then triple plate. the cost of nickel has risen about 11% since that giant freighter went down overseas, so prices will going higher as the year goes on and the supply dwindles.

Kodanja wants to get together for a ride, so we'll plan it out.

Do you belong to any clubs locally? If not, check my web site for a view of the activities that we enjoy here in NE with these lovely little cars.